Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Perverse Thread

misswonderly3

This post is a kind of list. But I'm not posting it on fxreyman's "Lists" thread, because this post is going to be regarded as kind of negative. I can't help it,. at last I have a forum to reveal my true perverse tendencies.

Nope, sorry, nothing ****.   Wow, the auto censor edited out the word "k i n k y". Just a list of things I really dislike that everybody else loves.

Here goes:

Clear blue sunny skies (come on, at least a few clouds are good. A clear blue sky feels harsh to me.)

Cutesy pictures of dogs and cats

Cutesy pictures of babies

Jelly beans (hate them)

In fact, candy in general (unless it's chocolate, but I don't count that as candy. )

Caribbean holidays

Lying around on the beach in the sun

Teddy Bears (god, I hate teddy bears)

Mariah Carey (but shirley no one really likes Mariah Carey)

Gone with the Wind

Facebook

People saying "passed away" instead of "died"

Turnip

Just added: Auto Censors

I realize I am the only person in the world who can't stand the above listed things.

Now, do any of you have a secret loathing for something that you've never been able to admit before? Afraid people will back away from you if you confess you hate something they all like? Here's the place to tell all. Or not. 

hey misswBaby, can't get myself to call you by your new moniker yet

I need to think about this some more but quickly, also can't stand

facebook

jelly beans

lying around in the sun on the beach(well more than a few minutes anyway)

Mariah Carey

stickey candy ( although love candied apples, those expensive ones rolled in chocolate and nuts, got those as a XMAS present from someone, they ordered them from QVC)

marshmellows

those chocolate covered pink marshmellows

chocolate covered cherries UNLESS the liquid is clear then I LOVE them

cotton candy

eel

rap music

slasher movies

Jennifer Hudson (only like the one song in Dreamgirls, BUT that's it)

funeral, health insurance, life insurance commercials

may have to add to the list later

@1975:  I hate that phrase too.  At the end of the day, I go to bed.

I also hate "My bad".  If you say it to a TODDLER, it might be OK.  But one "grown up" to another just sounds stupid.

I also hate;

Greek yogurt

Corned beef and cabbage ( like both, but not together)

Humus

Hot weather( give me spring or early Fall)

Doting Grandparents

Sloppy food

Top 40 these days

Crusaders of any kind

Shopping when I don't need anything

People who ask questions they already know the answers to

People who give advice on matters they're not familiar with

Todd Chrisley

Honey Boo Boo

Yardwork

more to come later...

Sepiatone

@1975:  I hate that phrase too.  At the end of the day, I go to bed.

I also hate "My bad".  If you say it to a TODDLER, it might be OK.  But one "grown up" to another just sounds stupid.

I also hate;

... People who ask questions they already know the answers to

...more to come later...

Sepiatone

I find the latter particularly irksome, myself. And, I might add..

People who ask questions they do not want answered

Those same people who lightly dismiss you and your answer one nanosecond before you have sounded the last letter

People who always.. A-L-W-A-Y-S give a conditioned first response of "What?" or "Huh?" no matter what I say or ask, necessitating a repeat on my part - and they, too, will cut me off after the first three words of the repeated sentence

I better stop

I find the latter particularly irksome, myself. And, I might add..

People who ask questions they do not want answered

Those same people who lightly dismiss you and your answer one nanosecond before you have sounded the last letter

People who always.. A-L-W-A-Y-S give a conditioned first response of "What?" or "Huh?" no matter what I say or ask, necessitating a repeat on my part - and they, too, will cut me off after the first three words of the repeated sentence

I better stop

Why do athletes, and even coaches, whenever interviewed, say "ya know" every 10 seconds. You know WHAT?

YES, I can't stand that expression MY BAD and agree with Sepia on Honey Boo Boo, also add Kardashians, Miley Cyrus and that idiotic tongue sticking out of her m-o-u-t-h, Justin Bieber's behavior and practically ALL "Reality Shows"  except for 2 ( I do watch 2 but not telling which ones) LOL

Why do athletes, and even coaches, whenever interviewed, say "ya know" every 10 seconds. You know WHAT?

Oh man..

As bad as that is, I prefer it over "..like.. you know. Like. Oh, it's like.."

And (mostly) men of higher education who can't utter six words without stumbling over seven or eight "um's" and "uh's"

(I believe this is tied in with your "ya know" 's  which are uneducated applications of "um..")

.. (i almost said it..)

Don't get me started on expressions people use that drive me crazy.

...Too late !

Right,  "at the end of the day" is cliched and so over-used, I wish the end of the day would come for "the end of the day". Or just the end.

Some others:

"Going forward": how about throwing in other oft-used expressions that mean the same thing, once in a while? Such as "from now on", "in the future", or "looking ahead". All over-used, but not half as much as "going forward". I suppose we have to have some phrase to indicate we're talking about the near future, but let's at least mix 'em up a bit.

"Alleged": I know people, especially the news media, have to say this now, or the perpetrator of a crime will automatically be let off in court because he'd be condemned before he even had his trial. But sometimes it feels like they're just sticking in the word "alleged" mindlessly, just making absolutely sure they don't get in trouble from someone (police, lawyers, judges, whoever.)

The dumbest use I ever heard of this was a report in which the announcer said something like "The man has been accused of allegedly forging documents..." or whatever the crime was.

What he was saying was NOT that a man was accused of forgery, but that he was accused of allegedly -purportedly -forging documents.

It's enough to say someone was "accused". "Accused" means one is charged with something; it is not saying the person committed the crime, it's saying they are accused of committing the crime. You don't need to add the word "allegedly", it's understood that the accused person may be innocent. 

You can say, "Police  say  or accuse  or  charge  or  purport  or  claim  "  that someone has committed a crime. There are many words to use other than "allege" that basically mean the same thing. Maybe it's used more in Canada than the States, but it is over-used here to the point where I want to scream when I hear it now. I once heard it used about five times in one 2-minute report.

Well, that's enough (for now.) People will allege that I have gone over the top with this.  <_<

• Like 1

Thought of another one..

Insertion of "That being said," or "With that being said," after that which has been said (and often that which has been said is about two paragraphs too long to begin with). This has already been said and .. oh, I give up.. Now I have to replay that which has been said in order to process "That being said," or "With that being said," so I can move forward ..

It's interesting to see the things people hate or are irked by. Here are some of mine:

The mountains. Not mountains in general, but going to the mountains. Too cold and I have no desire to participate in any of the winter sports. Being from Oregon, winter sports are big here. My idea of going to the mountains would be sitting in the ski lodge sipping hot toddies and people watching.

The snow. Hate hate snow. Too cold and causes too many problems.

Winter. Loathe it. Too cold. I hate how it's dark all the time and having to scrape ice off my car every morning. If I'm ever rich, I'm buying a house in the Southern Hemisphere so I don't ever have to go through winter.

Pickles. Disgusting.

Cheese in cold sandwiches. I only want cheese if the sandwich is hot and the cheese is melted.

Pepsi. Yuck. Give me Coke any day. It's not cool when you order a "Cuba libre" and get Pepsi, rum and lime.

People who misuse the word "literally"

Putting apostrophes in all words that end in 's' when they're not showing possession.

People that can't speak a complete sentence without using expletives.

I probably have more. I'm on a train right now and am starting to feel dizzy from looking down at my phone screen and reading.

Edithshead, boy, am I with you about "Going forward."

Bad grammar.  "Between you and I" drives me up the wall.

Modern sayings in period TV shows.  Mad Men is guilty of this.

The summer;  hot weather makes me bilious.

Valley Girl voices.  People who speak as if asking questions.  

Waiters who say "Enjoy."

People behind me in line who put their groceries on the conveyer belt while I'm still unloading my shopping cart.  

Films where all of the characters use the "f" word.  I ill-advisedly watched American Hustle while at a hotel (no TCM), and was bombarded by all of the (unpleasant, crude) characters using this word.   Don't filmmakers realize it only has impact when used in moderation?  And that not everybody swears? 

Female newscasters who wear cocktail dresses while their male colleagues are in jackets, shirts, ties, et cetera.

The phrase "starting a family."  Can a couple not be a family without children?  

Facebook, selfies, and all the attending narcissism.

Beyounce (sp?) and husband.   

Any marinated food.

My, this was cathartic!  I have oodles more, but will save for another day.

I hate it when people say or write "Congrats" instead of "Congratulations." Congrats sound like Vietnamese vermin. 

The Food Network.. Period

When Rachael Ray started going overboard on the "e-v-o-o" anagram, the truncated "delish" and the massively overused rhetoric of "How good is THAT?" - I couldn't take it anymore. Food viewing sanity resides within PBS.

This is so interesting.  

I have been guilty of most of the irritating statements mentioned, so I cannot list them as bothering me.  But what bothers me the most is pretension.   People who pretend who they are not, intentionally attempting to deceive.  And yet, I enjoy talking politics; call me anachronistic. 

Being single again, I have had the opportunity to meet many gentlemen, and it is disturbing to note how many have decided to have these very fussy rules to their lives.  Maybe it's a clue why they are single now.  To hear them talk you would think they were 5 years old.  Don't like this, don't like that; it's a regular laundry list of what they hate, and an surprisingly short list of what they can tolerate.   One fellow went on for 20 minutes how people should enter a public place, via the right side door (his emphasis),  I don't know if he realized he carried on this screed for 20 minutes, but I did note the time.  So, if you are around me and notice I looked at the clock, I guess it's something that will bug you.  But it's just because you have taken the topic too far and now I am timing it.

It's not just the world of dating either.  Another friend, fellow writer, sent me an email with two paragraphs devoted the the waste of two spaces for the start of the next sentence.  I think she meant me.  Yet, she and I keep up the correspondence.   

Not to get all serious and everything, but I do want to say something at this point.

I mean absolutely no offense to anyone who uses any of the words or expressions I've maligned here. The vast majority of people I know and am friends with use those very expressions.

One of my oldest friends, someone whom I very much respect, uses both the terms "pass away" and "going forward". She also, when speaking of confiding in another, uses the word "share".  "I shared that experience I had with my co-worker Jane" for example.

All of those expressions - I forgot to list "share" !  - are ones I'd never use. But the fact that my close friend uses them does not affect my high opinion of her, nor would I ever let her know I cringe inwardly when she uses them. Besides, I've gotten used to it. And she's a very entertaining and intelligent person, so who cares what phrases and words she likes that I do not?  *  :unsure: (see below)

I actually drive my husband crazy with my muttering complaints about words and expressions I can't stand when we're watching or listening to the news or sports reports (sports media is littered with cliches - there, I just used one, it's contagious.) He claims (or "alleges") that I should have better things to think about, even get annoyed about, than the phrases people use or overuse to communicate.

* :unsure:   It's the old "some of my best friends..." defence. Which is a cliche in itself ! But true.

Not to get all serious and everything, but I do want to say something at this point.

I mean absolutely no offense to anyone who uses any of the words or expressions I've maligned here. The vast majority of people I know and am friends with use those very expressions.

One of my oldest friends, someone whom I very much respect, uses both the terms "pass away" and "going forward". She also, when speaking of confiding in another, uses the word "share".  "I shared that experience I had with my co-worker Jane" for example.

All of those expressions - I forgot to list "share" !  - are ones I'd never use. But the fact that my close friend uses them does not affect my high opinion of her, nor would I ever let her know I cringe inwardly when she uses them. Besides, I've gotten used to it. And she's a very entertaining and intelligent person, so who cares what phrases and words she likes that I do not?  *  :unsure: (see below)

I actually drive my husband crazy with my muttering complaints about words and expressions I can't stand when we're watching or listening to the news or sports reports (sports media is littered with cliches - there, I just used one, it's contagious.) He claims (or "alleges") that I should have better things to think about, even get annoyed about, than the phrases people use or overuse to communicate.

* :unsure:   It's the old "some of my best friends..." defence. Which is a cliche in itself ! But true.

What I find partuclarly annoying are people who change their message boards image on a daily basis. :)

ROFL..  Some of my best friends start hilariously funny off-topic threads, but I digress...   :unsure: 

I have taken to the notion that anything stated on this thread is an acceptable place to blow off some steam, nothing more.  Present company excepted. 

While we are treading dangerously close to complaints usually found in facebook territory, I keep in perspective some members here just have limited options for social interaction with other people, so they come here.   

Hell, I just look the other way when I read Canadians' spelling, thus accomplishing a cliche and a mixed metaphor. 

(Takes a bow)

Edith, you, Kid_Dabb and others might enjoy going to the Lake Superior State College website and looking up the Unicorn Hunters.  For decades they've listed words and/or phrases that they feel should be banished from the english language.  Or at least be banned from their current popular usage.  They also invite contributions ( of WORDS, not money, though they probably wouldn't refuse the latter).

Their list can be quite amusing.  I've followed them for years.

I'm also tired of hearing people on TV or in personal life start sentences with "I mean".

Q: "Tell me, what inspired you to start this civic drive?"

A:  "I mean, I was tired of seeing all of this land go to waste."

Q:  "Did you have any trouble getting people to support you?"

A:  "I mean, everybody was on board with it."

I usually start a sentence with "I mean" only when I'm trying to explain something I said in a previous sentence. 

I also dislike people who use emotional blackmail.  AND the people who are dumb enough to succumb to it.

People who brag about how much money they can hustle, yet cry "broke" when asked to chip in for something.

Those who prattle about how much their "new church" has changed their lives, yet still act "unchristian-like" in their behavior.

People who only invite you over for occaisions which might require you to bring a gift.

Reformed smokers

Alchoholics in denial ("It's only beer!")

New parents who "train" their kids to do cute things, as one might train a puppy.

Sepiatone