Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

News: GUN FURY update

TopBilled

gunfury.jpg

GUN FURY, a Columbia Pictures western starring Rock Hudson & Donna Reed, is returning to cable television.  It had originally been included by TCM as part of Hudson's Star of the Month tribute in June. However, the title quietly disappeared a few weeks ago from the upcoming schedule.

It turns out that it will air instead on the Encore Westerns Channel beginning June 6th.

Last year when Eleanor Parker was Star of the Month, one of her westerns, ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO, was left off the list.  It, too, bypassed TCM and aired on the Encore Westerns channel. Recently, it returned to TCM's airwaves.  

Will GUN FURY show up again on TCM...?

It appears that the business of securing the rights for broadcasting certain films can get very complicated.  TCM may get an option to access a certain film providing that some other network (that has a first crack at it) doesn't exercise their rights. When TCM makes their advance schedules public they do so with good intentions but there's always a chance that circumstances beyond their control can change that scheduling. Either TCM should not show us a schedule months in advance at all or we have to give them some slack in these matters.  Personally I would rather get the advanced "tentative"  schedule and trust in their best efforts to follow through on that. TCM's success rate in these matters is rather high I believe.

It appears that the business of securing the rights for broadcasting certain films can get very complicated.  TCM may get an option to access a certain film providing that some other network (that has a first crack at it) doesn't exercise their rights. When TCM makes their advance schedules public they do so with good intentions but there's always a chance that circumstances beyond their control can change that scheduling. Either TCM should not show us a schedule months in advance at all or we have to give them some slack in these matters.  Personally I would rather get the advanced "tentative"  schedule and trust in their best efforts to follow through on that. TCM's success rate in these matters is rather high I believe.

I agree.  

Sometimes there are titles broadcast concurrently on two different cable stations.  For instance, the MGM western BILLY THE KID (starring Robert Taylor) airs frequently on Encore Westerns Channel, but then it shows up on TCM without leaving Encore.  This happens with some Fox titles, too.  A HATFUL OF RAIN was recently screened on TCM for the Don Murray tribute, but during the same week it aired on the Fox movie channel (or whatever it is called now).

Some titles seem exclusive to one cable outlet, and some do not.  In the case of GUN FURY, obviously Sony has exclusively licensed it to Encore, so that is why it had to be taken off the TCM schedule.  

If anyone knows more about these broadcast agreements and is willing to come on to the thread to give us information, it would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

It's a rather disappointing film for my money. I was looking forward to this tale of revenge from Raoul Walsh, but as it was unspooling in front of me, I realized that Rock Hudson doesn't really get his revenge - not on his own. Considering the body count, one can't help but notice that Hudson isn't responsible for any of them.

Nevertheless, it was one more to add to my total of Walsh films, but I wouldn't give it a second look.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings