Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Board Members' Home-Town Photos

I was all around town today -- Midtown, Greenwich Village, SoHo. I took this photo of Commerce Street in Greenwich Village, where the lovely and talented Kim Hunter lived for the last nearly 50 years of her life. Kim's apartment was above the Cherry Lane Theater.

Swithin, I love that photograph! I have an obsession with old buildings, and that pic shows off two of them splendidly. I wish old buildings could never be torn down - not that the ones in you photo are on the block or anything.

But you said "thumbnailS", as though there were more than one. Am I not clicking the right button or something? Are there more in that post that I couldn't find?

Or did you just mean, there will be more to come? I hope so.

Hi -- the words "Attached Thumbnails" come up automatically -- I didn't type it. I guess it's a feature of the new system. Here's another photo taken yesterday, a couple of blocks from Kim Hunter's street. This is 6th Avenue in Greenwich Village.

Zabar's is my favorite food store. Prepared foods, huge deli counter, smoked fish counter, packaged foods from all over the world, an amazing cheese department, etc.  Housewares upstairs. Here a shot of the outside as well as a photo of one small section of the deli counter. 

Eli Wallach and Anne Jackson live a couple of blocks away from this shop on the Upper West Side.

Zabar's is my favorite food store. Prepared foods, huge deli counter, smoked fish counter, packaged foods from all over the world, an amazing cheese department, etc.  Housewares upstairs. Here a shot of the outside as well as a photo of one small section of the deli counter. 

Eli Wallach and Anne Jackson live a couple of blocks away from this shop on the Upper West Side.

When I lived on the Upper East Side in the late '70s-early '80s, I don't recall any interesting food stores. Just your usual boring Grand Unions, Gristede's, etc.

When I lived on the Upper East Side in the late '70s-early '80s, I don't recall any interesting food stores. Just your usual boring Grand Unions, Gristede's, etc.

The Upper East Side is still boring, supermarket-wise, though it's better than it used to be. The Upper West Side is the place to shop!

I think it would be nice if others posted photos of their towns, that they took recently. If there is interest, I would change the name of this thread to reflect that.

Swithin, I was thinking of starting a thread like that. However, since you mentioned it I'm going to leave it alone. But I would like to post some photos of "my town." I'm not ready at present but I want to look into it. If I could post them here, that would be fine. Not a big splash, just a few here and there as time passes. IOW, I think it's a great idea, and you have my support. Even if you don't change the name of this thread, I will not start a similar thread as stated. I am not a thread creator anyway, at least if history is any indicator.  I've enjoyed your photos here. I lived in NYC from '84-'86 and very nearly went back for a visit in 2010 but it didn't pan out. I would love to go back for a short time and maybe I will (although not likely, alas). So I eagerly await further looks of The City from your gallery. Thanks for starting this thread, very interesting. Laffite

I think it would be nice if others posted photos of their towns, that they took recently. If there is interest, I would change the name of this thread to reflect that.

I think reflect that would make a good thread name - got my vote

Hi Swithin;

My home town is Toronto. I'm very sorry to say, there seem to be very few people with any authority in that city who care about old buildings or the city's heritage. Historical buildings are being pulled down at an alarming rate, only to make space for abominably ugly faceless cheaply built condos. It breaks my heart, because it was one of the things I loved about my old town, its many old buildings. I even like the not so noble ones, the old factories and warehouses by the lake. But they're almost all gone now.

Here's a pic of a building that's left, but not for long. It's scheduled to be demolished in May. It's called "the old coach house". 

119-Isabella-1889-on-March-1-2011-IMG_28

• Like 1

What a lovely photo of a beautiful building! I'm going to change the name of this thread over the weekend, to make it more general for members to post photos of their communities.

I've changed the title of this thread from "Swithin's New York City Photos" to "Members' Home-Town Photos" to encourage members to post photos of their communities, i.e. where you live now. A rule that I would like to impose, with respect, is that the photos should be recent and should be taken by the poster. Nothing from the web, no old stuff; just recent photos that you've taken.

If there appears to be no interest after a week, I'll change the subject back to "Swithin's New York City Photos."

St. Bartholomew's Church (Episcopal) on 50th/51st Street and Park Avenue, one of New York City's venerable church's, saved from desecration largely through the efforts of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. The Church is featured in The Palm Beach Story, Arthur, and other movies.

I like your pictures, Swithin. Keep 'em coming.

Just received my tax refund and will be ordering my new camera soon, so don't despair. I'm already scouting local shots for this thread.

Syracuse's Niagara Mohawk (energy corp-now Nat'l Grid) Building is one of the grandest buildings in the city. It always makes a huge impact on visiting friends.

IMG_4534.jpg

A close up of the central figure over the front entrance:

Syracuse_Niagara_Mohawk.jpg

Another angle of "The Spirit of Energy"

SpiritOfEnergy-3-Large.jpg

Less spectacular, but of interest to film fans, is the Wall Building. The JM Wall Co made those old hand crank movie cameras you see in early films of the 20's. I was dumbfounded when I looked up and saw the detailed carving of film between reels over the entrance:

• Like 3

I passed this nondescript block today, on the way to Easter dinner in Astoria, Queens, NYC. Christopher Walken's parents had a bakery on this block, until about 15 years ago. They had great almond croissants.

Got my new camera today and I'll be taking some local photos for this thread. Nothing as interesting as a NYC actor's residence or famous Deli, just good local stuff. When I figure out how to download them into my PC I'll post some here.

• Like 1

I passed this nondescript block today, on the way to Easter dinner in Astoria, Queens, NYC. Christopher Walken's parents had a bakery on this block, until about 15 years ago. They had great almond croissants.

30mc0ns.jpg

Everyone is driving a SUV. What happened to all the Beetlee-Bugs?

Alright, first hometown photo for the Kid. Excuse the slight blur, these photos were taken with a hand held camera, so I hope they are clear enough for you. I haven't got a mono or tri-pod yet.

I live in Lakeland, Fl. and this city is well named. You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a lake. This one is just 8 or so blocks from home and there are more like it just minutes away in every direction. This is a medium zoom shot across the lake and no, that is not my house. I only wish..

===========================================================

Attached photo deleted

Edited by Kid_Dabb

Every Saturday, the City blocks off about 12 square blocks of central downtown and turns it into a Farmer's Market, Art Exhibition, Food Fair, Music Stage and Vendor Extravaganza. Lots of those foodie trucks you see on the food shows. The majority of the brick-n-mortar businesses in the central park area are bars, restaurants, clubs, record stores, coffee houses, cafes and plenty of antique shops. They really pack this stuff in.

Here's a shot of a small market area at the rail crossing on the north edge of town.

post-27192-0-49177900-1398548121_thumb.jpg

post-27192-0-49177900-1398548121_thumb.jpg

Our City of Lakeland has these swans on nearly every block. They are approximately 5 feet in height and nicely decorated - each one different. Our (real) swans are Lakeland's mascots - the lakes are full of them.

Here is an article with their history. Interesting stuff.

http://www.golakeland.com/Blog/The-Historic-Swans-of-the-City-of-Lakeland

post-27192-0-22495500-1398634345_thumb.jpg

post-27192-0-01533000-1398634364_thumb.jpg

post-27192-0-22495500-1398634345_thumb.jpg

post-27192-0-01533000-1398634364_thumb.jpg