Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Board Members' Home-Town Photos

That's cool. I often wonder why, when a place such as this is rebuilt, the same style brick is not used. Bricks are one of the easiest to match with original materials. Perhaps this was done on purpose in order to make a distinction.

Thanks for the history.

There are still quite a few old gas stations.. I should say "service stations".. which have been converted, mostly to quickie-marts with service bays enclosed. Still, the architecture remained and the bay door openings were obvious. You could tell a them at a glance.

How about this?

This one is in Fairport NY, where Phillip Seymour Hoffman grew up. I photograph these across the US-  amazing how many have been kept intact.

My guess the reason so many of these are untouched is steep roof pitch and most especially the tile or slate covering are more troublesome to "do over". 

I often stumble across early stations that have been "done over" typically old stucco or enamel panel Mobil stations. It's horrifying to see these covered in vinyl siding or T-1-11.

How do you like the mansion behind the gas station? I think it's a restaurant.

There are still quite a few old gas stations.. I should say "service stations".. which have been converted, mostly to quickie-marts with service bays enclosed. Still, the architecture remained and the bay door openings were obvious. You could tell a them at a glance.

How about this?

attachicon.gifHamburgerStation.jpg

This one is in Fairport NY, where Phillip Seymour Hoffman grew up. I photograph these across the US-  amazing how many have been kept intact.

My guess the reason so many of these are untouched is steep roof pitch and most especially the tile or slate covering are more troublesome to "do over". 

I often stumble across early stations that have been "done over" typically old stucco or enamel panel Mobil stations. It's horrifying to see these covered in vinyl siding or T-1-11.

How do you like the mansion behind the gas station? I think it's a restaurant.

That's a great photo. The mansion fits right in - looking as one with the old service station. Reminds me of the Bates Motel.. OOooooo! :lol:

There isn't much in the way of historical stuff in my town that would interest outsiders. Just lots of older "historical districts" and just a few architecturally interesting structures. We still have many downtown streets fully paved with red brick and polished granite curbstones - most of the curbstones have deteriorated, though. I'm trying to come up with some good "old" history I can photograph and post here.. 

Someone was telling me just yesterday that Molly Hatchet got their start in Jacksonville, Fl. and did the Florida club tour thing, playing a couple of houses near here (Lakeland). I wonder if they've got a wall of photos dedicated to them - like in the movie Pure Country.. a favorite of mine.

I don't think letters would be addressed that way.  Katharine Hepburn Place is, I think, just the intersection of 49th Street/2nd Avenue. Her address was 244 East 49th Street, which is between 2nd/3rd Aves. She lived there for more than 60 years. 

Did they put that sign up before or after her death? Given her attitude towards autograph seekers and fans who liked to get up-close andpersonal, I doubt she'd have appreciated it during her lifetime.

Did they put that sign up before or after her death? Given her attitude towards autograph seekers and fans who liked to get up-close andpersonal, I doubt she'd have appreciated it during her lifetime.

After. They don't do it when the person is still alive.  Though it was pretty well known that she lived on that block. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Tavern on Jane is a restaurant/bar on Jane Street in Greenwich Village, Manhattan, NYC, where I have enjoyed many excellent dinners and one excellent lunch. The Tavern is co-owned by Horton Foote, Jr., son of the author of The Trip to Bountiful and other plays.

I spend a fair amount of time in London, so I guess it qualifies as my second home town. I arrived last night. Here's a photo I took from the terrace this morning:

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

Just updated my photos of the Spirit House, in very rural Georgetown, NY

SpritHouse.jpg

I'm really into old religious sects, and upstate NY is chock full of them-the Shakers, the Roycrofters, Mormons, etc. This house was built in 1870 as a "Spiritualist Temple". It's closed, but owned by the historical society.

The Fox Sister's house where Spiritualism started is in Genesee Country Museum and south of Buffalo is a teeny town called Lily Dale, an entirely Spiritualist community.

• Like 2

The Fox Sister's house where Spiritualism started is in Genesee Country Museum and south of Buffalo is a teeny town called Lily Dale, an entirely Spiritualist community.

Beautiful shot, Tiki. 

I have a degree in  Theology and am interested in sects as well. When you say "Spiritualism," is that the group that Madame Blavatsky was involved with? I'm reminded of Louis MacNeice's poem "Bagpipe Music," which includes the lines "It's no go the Yogi-man, it's no go Blavatsky. All we want is a bank balance and a bit of skirt in a taxi."

When you say "Spiritualism," is that the group that Madame Blavatsky was involved with?

Don't think so, not as intellectual or academic - more ballyhoo.

I'm speaking of the "Spiritualists" that started with the Fox Sisters who held seances where the dead spoke by knocking "one for yes two for no" type of thing. Contacting the dead became a huge phenomenon even after it was revealed the Fox sisters cracked the joints in their toes to create the "knocking".

Glad I'm not the only one who enjoys learning about religious "sects". I always wondered why New York state is so full of them. Maybe they're everywhere, but because I'm living here I know more about "local" ones. 

• 1 month later...

Just updated my photos of the Spirit House, in very rural Georgetown, NY

SpritHouse.jpg

I'm really into old religious sects, and upstate NY is chock full of them-the Shakers, the Roycrofters, Mormons, etc. This house was built in 1870 as a "Spiritualist Temple". It's closed, but owned by the historical society.

Great photo. Looks like it was carved from a single block of ivory. Really nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Visited a friend in Greenwich Village today. She lives in the building that was used in Rear Window -- the building from which James Stewart looked into the courtyard and into other smaller buildings. Here's a photo from the window -- landscaped has changed a little. 

(I can't seem to post any larger photos for some reason).

• 5 months later...

I was walking up to my front door around 6 PM this evening, when I heard a buzzing sound. I stopped and looked around, then upward.. I was treated to a nice display of Navy biplanes doing maneuvers over my home. There was a modern helicopter tagging along - it may have been filming them. 

I live near our town's airport which hosts airshows several times a year. They include military aircraft of all years and sizes. We get some really cool strafing runs by old jets and WWII navy dive bombers - some will "buzz" us, coming as low as 500 ft over our busy shopping areas so lots of people can enjoy them.. really cool.

I didn't have time to grab my camera, so I googled these pics for you.

qn8tj7.jpg

oigo78.jpg

fxs8dk.jpg

• Like 1

My front door:

Patsy.jpg

Some attendees of Cinefest made huge posters printed out from their computer as convention decor. Most of the posters had been taken by Sunday, but no one claimed the giant Patsy Kelly face. I love how she looks out, larger than life just DARING any man to enter. 

Ah, it was a long tough winter.

• Like 2

I spend a fair amount of time in London, so I guess it qualifies as my second home town. I arrived last night. Here's a photo I took from the terrace this morning:

I love the photos of London. The closest I got to see it was Heathrow Airport, for a stop over. I was 20 years old and new to flying and going through customs. So, I hesitated going through the line and the custom's agent looked at me, smiled and said in that lovely accent-"Ah, well, he who hesitates." Then he looked through my bag. But they were so pleasant and joking around that it made my experience better.

Wow Dabb, I love those pics!

When I fly with my brother he always asks if I want to try an open cockpit plane. No thanks, I like the "modern" style of being enclosed, it's scary enough. I marvel at the pluck of wing walkers in the 20's.

And I love the Baltimore tradition of screen painting! I've always wanted to try my hand at it and that horse one is a perfect fit for my decor. When restoring a band organ fascade, often find painted landscapes on screens.

Johnny Eck, the famous "freak" was a Baltimore native and screen painting was his hobby. Next time I'm there, I plan to check out his house & photograph as many examples as found.

johnnywalks.gif

Wow Dabb, I love those pics!

When I fly with my brother he always asks if I want to try an open cockpit plane. No thanks, I like the "modern" style of being enclosed, it's scary enough. I marvel at the pluck of wing walkers in the 20's.

And I love the Baltimore tradition of screen painting! I've always wanted to try my hand at it and that horse one is a perfect fit for my decor. When restoring a band organ fascade, often find painted landscapes on screens.

Johnny Eck, the famous "freak" was a Baltimore native and screen painting was his hobby. Next time I'm there, I plan to check out his house & photograph as many examples as found.

johnnywalks.gif

Thank you, Tiki. I did not know that about Johnny Eck - I always enjoy learning these things. Thanks again!

I've always wondered what it would be like doing loops in an open cockpit plane like these. I don't trust safety belts THAT much.

:P

I've always wondered what it would be like doing loops in an open cockpit plane like these. I don't trust safety belts THAT much.

Well I "do loops" (& rolls & stalls) in single engine planes with closed cockpits, and you don't really move at all. Maybe it's centrifical force keeping you in your seat, but you really don't even feel that, your loop is so large.

One time I took a selfie movie while my brother flew loops-the ONLY way you knew we were upside down from the movie was seeing the sun position change and my long hair slowly flop UP. I really didn't move at all. 

Oh, but you feel it when you stall the engine! It's like rounding the top of a hill on a roller coaster and dropping free fall. After about two of those, I asked my brother to discontinue and never try it again!

I seem to have lost the ability to post photos from my computer -- not from the Internet, which I can do fine. I started this thread a while back, but now every time I try to post, no matter how I resize the photo, I get the message that it's too large. I pm'd the moderator for advice, but got no response.

Any ideas?