Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Board Members' Home-Town Photos

I seem to have lost the ability to post photos from my computer -- not from the Internet, which I can do fine. I started this thread a while back, but now every time I try to post, no matter how I resize the photo, I get the message that it's too large. I pm'd the moderator for advice, but got no response.

Any ideas?

I have posted my answer in your General Discussions thread.

• 1 month later...

I passed the Algonquin Hotel today, on West 44th Street, NYC, where the famed Algonquin Round Table once reigned.  

Do you think a grouping such as this could, or does exist today? I don't see any reason for it to be so, and clandestine - unless that is their choice, for whatever reason. I would think another such group would want a little attention.

Working at a farm supply store as cashier is full of surprises. Every time the door slid open, I thought I heard "gobble, gobble". Then I looked outdoors and saw 2 huge toms in a pen on our sidewalk next to the parking lot:

TSCturkeys.jpg

They are magnificent birds and displayed to every person who walked by. People were fascinated and took lots of photos. These birds are basically "pets" and were safe to touch!

People often ask if I hate working Saturdays in retail. It's one of the most fun days of the week there.

• Like 1

Working at a farm supply store as cashier is full of surprises. Every time the door slid open, I thought I heard "gobble, gobble". Then I looked outdoors and saw 2 huge toms in a pen on our sidewalk next to the parking lot:

Wow. I've got at least two farm supply stores near my house which I rarely think about - haven't been inside one of them yet. I keep telling myself to go in and buy one of those light-weight, straw cowboy hats. I guess the reason I haven't yet is because I can't wear it while driving. I sold my old Cheyenne PU, which had the headroom.. These new-fangled jalopies barely have room for the hair on your head..<sigh>

Still, I could do a drive-by with my camera and take a few.. Thanks for reminding me, Tiki!

:)

• 3 months later...

post-8711-0-89508100-1441165796_thumb.jpg

This was taken from Point Loma (San Diego) a peninsula that extends far enough out there to allow for such views. You can see downtown but if you point south further south you get this, the sea side of Coronado and the famous hotel where key scenes of Some Like It Hot were filmed. This I believe with a Minolta X-700, a fairly decent film camera. The photo was taken about seven years ago.

post-8711-0-89508100-1441165796_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifCabr Pt 23dec08 025 cr2.jpg

This was taken from Point Loma (San Diego) a peninsula that extends far enough out there to allow for such views. You can see downtown but if you point south further south you get this, the sea side of Coronado and the famous hotel where key scenes of Some Like It Hot were filmed. This I believe with a Minolta X-700, a fairly decent film camera. The photo was taken about seven years ago.

While I'm not sure if I've been to Point Loma, I have been to the Hotel Del Coronado.  My husband and I didn't stay at the hotel, but we did walk around the lobby and around the grounds.  We then watched the sunset on the beach outside the hotel.  The hotel and the city of Coronado was amazing and we hope to be able to return soon.  We're planning on saving up so we can stay at the Hotel Del Coronado 1-2 days and also re-visit the fantastic San Diego Zoo. 

You live in a fantastic city.  We really enjoyed our visit to San Diego a few years ago.

• Like 1

My neighborhood pond in Round Lake Beach, Illinois at sunset....

And we live less than five miles from where that police officer was murdered on Tuesday in neighboring Fox Lake. Being more than fifty miles from Chicago and we'd thought that somehow we would have been able to go without that kind of stuff. I guess not. Go figure.

post-19682-0-35579500-1441416103_thumb.jpg

post-19682-0-35579500-1441416103_thumb.jpg

Nice photo. But why did I think you lived in Colorado?

You are correct. We did live in Colorado Springs until December of 2014. We decided to relocate back to the Chicago area due to the terrible job situation the Colorado. Everyone likes to say that living in Colorado is great, the mountains, the beautiful scenery and so on. Well those things don't pay the bills. If you have an area as depressed as Colorado Springs, then you have to look elsewhere.

After being out of work for almost four years, I found work in the Chicago area eight weeks after moving here. Currently I am freelancing at a company near O'Hare airport. Hoping to be hired permanately.

San Diego has the best Maritime Museum in the country, second to only one other in the world (so I'm told). This picture is the HMS Surprise, the EXACT same ship that was used in Master and Commander (with
Russell Crowe) and is modeled on a frigate that was used in the era that the movie depicts (1805). It is not currently seaworthy but they are working on it.

The museum consist of the famed Star of India, HMS Surprise, two submarines (U.S as well as Russia) and a recently completed construction of the San Rafael, an exact model of Cabrillo's vessel when  he discovered San Diego's harbor in 1642 (and more). You can board these ships as you please (for a fee). The submarines are fascinating and you have to be pretty nimble to make an adequate tour within. All the ships are seaworthy and go out about once a year. I have pictures of the Star sailing around the bay and I would like to share one or two later.

Here is the Surprise (the Russian sub is behind it)

post-8711-0-23852100-1441483636_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-23852100-1441483636_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Seap%2013jan09%20Serra%20Mesa%20600x.jpg

Looking South under the (San Diego) Coronado Bay Bridge are Tijuana suburbs. Interesting topographical feature is that gargantuan mesa (Serra Mesa on the map) about which I've found very little. But I've always been fascinated by it's rather dramatic and even breathtaking look. Are there people living up there or is it perhaps uninhabited? I will consult with the right people and get the dope.

Here is another view taken several miles to the East on Point Loma. Both pics were taken in 2006.

CabP%2013nov06%20600x.jpg

• 3 months later...

XLH23SG.jpg

Just outside my door..

There is a thin layer of clouds this evening which prevents me from getting a clearer photo.

This is the first full moon on December 25 since 1977.

I believe the next one will be in the year 2034.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

The biggest city park in my hometown (Salem, OR), has had trouble with owls dive bombing people on the walking/jogging trails.  They had to install these signs to warn the park-goers:

24xkgsx.jpg

It's probably not fun to be attacked by an owl, but these signs are hilarious!

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

I saw this little fella sprawled out on the front lawn just now. We've got hundreds, if not thousands of these around the yard. This one stood out with his(?) richly colored head. If you click the image it gets bigger.

8q4kA7y.jpg

• Like 1

Jake and everyone, 

The photos are all lovely. 

When I changed the name of this thread from "Swithin's home town photos" to "TCM Board Members' Home-Town Photos," I mentioned that it was my hope that the photos would be photos taken by the poster. It was my hope --  but of course I can't enforce it. I've had to delete many of my photos, since we have a quota of posting our own photos.

(It was also partly to discourage myself from posting every conceivable photo I could find of New York City -- there are plenty online to choose from! Kind of an exercise in discipline for all of us.)

Possibly if it's too complicated for us to post our own photos (and I think it may be), perhaps we could just post photos of exact spots that we've passed/visited in our towns, in recent days -- maybe that's a good compromise. But we should make a comment about the place, and having just been there.

Here's my post from April, 2014. I'm certainly glad there's interest in any case!

I've changed the title of this thread from "Swithin's New York City Photos" to "Members' Home-Town Photos" to encourage members to post photos of their communities, i.e. where you live now. A rule that I would like to impose, with respect, is that the photos should be recent and should be taken by the poster. Nothing from the web, no old stuff; just recent photos that you've taken.

If there appears to be no interest after a week, I'll change the subject back to "Swithin's New York City Photos."

I really like the idea that the poster has taken the picture. It's personal and much more fun to look at. We can all eyeball post cards (that is, if they still have them :-) .

//

• Like 1