Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Board Members' Home-Town Photos

Great photos!

Yeas, they still make postcards, but I much prefer personal photos.

XLH23SG.jpg

If you have PhotoShop, I can walk you through "correcting" or adjusting the light on this photo. I used to be a photographer many moons ago.

I lived in San Diego and funnily enough do not recall that mesa. And we had brunch every Sunday in Tijuana. Guess I only had "beach" on the brain....I was 16.

• Like 1

Great photos!

Yeas, they still make postcards, but I much prefer personal photos.

XLH23SG.jpg

If you have PhotoShop, I can walk you through "correcting" or adjusting the light on this photo. I used to be a photographer many moons ago.

I lived in San Diego and funnily enough do not recall that mesa. And we had brunch every Sunday in Tijuana. Guess I only had "beach" on the brain....I was 16.

Thank you, Tiki. I do not have PhotoShop. I do have a resident Microsoft version which is part of Photo Gallery . This has a minimum of adjustments, none of which help much.

One problem is the haze caused by the thin cloud layer covering the moon. This prevented my camera from focusing on it.

Waking up in Florida. This was my first view as I walked out the front door this morning. If you click on the first moon photo, you'll be able to see some excellent surface detail.

[Click to Zoom]

JnqEtpF.jpg

JkEPQdK.jpg

cJ4tNaJ.jpg

A nearby construction area has this tractor backlit by this morning's sun - 

taillights illuminated by the rising sun.

D2slEWI.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Great pix Dabb. I remember having those lizards jump out of our mailbox when we lived in FL. Skeered my Mom every day-you think she'd get used to it.

When driving in Auburn NY on our way to Prison City Brewhouse, we spotted this fixer-upper:

AuburnCastleS.jpg

Obviously the new owners are gutting it (see dumpster extreme left) I can't tell if it was a small church or just a wildly gothic house. Although I'm terrified of living in a brick house, it would be the perfect house for us - American Gothic being the only overlap in my & MrTiki's taste.

Directly next door is this dilapidated, but once commercial garage/gas station:

AuburnBarnS.jpg

Most likely separated from the house property. I'm guessing it was originally the stable & vehicle storage for the house. 

Auburn is struggling to maintain some kind of decency, but with the serious high security prison plunked in the middle of town, attracts too many unsavory charactors hanging around.

These small upstate cities sadly are becoming increasingly riddled with heroin & crackheads. I bet this house place for less than $50,000.

• Like 1

Great pix Dabb. I remember having those lizards jump out of our mailbox when we lived in FL. Skeered my Mom every day-you think she'd get used to it.

When driving in Auburn NY on our way to Prison City Brewhouse, we spotted this fixer-upper:

AuburnCastleS.jpg

Obviously the new owners are gutting it (see dumpster extreme left) I can't tell if it was a small church or just a wildly gothic house. Although I'm terrified of living in a brick house, it would be the perfect house for us - American Gothic being the only overlap in my & MrTiki's taste.

Directly next door is this dilapidated, but once commercial garage/gas station:

AuburnBarnS.jpg

Most likely separated from the house property. I'm guessing it was originally the stable & vehicle storage for the house. 

Auburn is struggling to maintain some kind of decency, but with the serious high security prison plunked in the middle of town, attracts too many unsavory charactors hanging around.

These small upstate cities sadly are becoming increasingly riddled with heroin & crackheads. I bet this house place for less than $50,000.

The gas station/garage/stable building has more charm than the brick house. I really don't care for that architecture using red brick - stone would be nicer, and more pleasing to the eye.

About ten years or so ago, PBS had a short running series of shows where someone would buy places like this, gut them and pour $700K-$2M into the rebuilding - inside and out - for residential usage. Their results were impressive. These places were usually old (local) government buildings like firehouses, post offices, and some churches. I haven't seen that series offered in years.

Dabb, are those ibis' in your photo? Are they common in your area? What do they look like flying?

We've had a horrific dry spell with no rain for maybe 3 weeks-definitely no "soaking" rain in a month. A very large portion of my backyard is a working raspberry patch, first planted by my great grandmother. This has been the WORST drought for any fruit, forcing me to run a sprinkler an hour each night.

Yesterday, it drizzled & poured all day. The sun peeked through around 4-5pm. It was amazing:

rainbow.jpg

rainbowcu.jpg

(that black spot is a drip on my lens)

• Like 1

Dabb, are those ibis' in your photo? Are they common in your area? What do they look like flying?

We've had a horrific dry spell with no rain for maybe 3 weeks-definitely no "soaking" rain in a month. A very large portion of my backyard is a working raspberry patch, first planted by my great grandmother. This has been the WORST drought for any fruit, forcing me to run a sprinkler an hour each night.

Yesterday, it drizzled & poured all day. The sun peeked through around 4-5pm. It was amazing:

QiMfgms.jpg

(that black spot is a drip on my lens)

Nice rainbow, Tiki.

Yes, those are ibis'. This part of Florida is smothered in them. They look like skinny pelicans in flight. I rarely see them in the air because they're always foraging, especially after our daily downpours. Yes, we get a nice little thunderstorm every day around 5:00 PM. Were I Roman, I would build an aqueduct from here to there.

:)

You mentioned raspberries... my fridge is packed with them. I've been eating those along with fresh blackberries, bananas, watermelon, and California cherries the size of ping-pong balls.

I saw these dog toys in the window of a pet supply store on Second Avenue and 36th Street in NYC today.

Why are their nails on the inside of their hands? Makes me wonder if the other side of the stuffed politicians are blank? 

WEird...  :huh:

• 1 year later...

A photo (from the web) of the Tishman Building, 666 Fifth Avenue, New York City, now owned by Kushner Properties. This is the building that has caused Jared Kushner to become involved all sorts of dubious schemes, because of some major debts coming due on this building, in 2019.

I had my first adult bank account in this building, at the long-gone Seaman's Bank for Savings. The building also housed, in its glory days, Stouffer's Restaurant.

The Tishman Building is shown at the far side of the venerable and very high St. Thomas Episcopal Church, where I once attended a lovely Christmas Eve service.

fif6661.gif

• 1 year later...