Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You Are As Young As You Feel

Palmerin

I told my mother about the death of Mickey Rooney. She replied:

Yes, I loved that muchacho=boy.

Rooney was born on 23 Sept 1920; Francisca Roldan was born on 30 Nov 1929.

Like many old people, my mother is not good at judging people's ages. She described the handyman who is painting her bedroom as a young man; that young man has a 29 y/o son.

At what age do men and women stop being young people? Compared to Francisca I am young, but that does not detract from the fact that a man of 59 and a half years of age no longer qualifies as a boy.

Sometimes, I'm just glad I'm not as old as I feel!  ;)

Age is always a relavent thing.  Some would say, "It's just a number".  Some would say you're only as old as you think, which is to say if you think old, you'll feel old.  I go along with the latter to a degree.

My Grandmother used to belong to the "senior center" in my city, and would often complain in amusement about the "kids" at the center griping about their aches and pains.  These "kids" were in their mid 60s.  At the time, Grandma was 77! 

That same year, the family( at that time.  I'm talking pre-divorce)was gathered at one of those "Chuckie Cheese's" type places for my older daughter's 10th birthday.  Feeling in a generous mood, I slapped a fistful of tokens down on the table in front of my then Mother-in-law and told her to "go out there and have a ball!"  She just laughed and dismissively said, "Oh, I'm too old for any of that stuff!"  I diverted her attention towards my Grandmother, who was furiously engaged in playing "Centipede", and asked, "WHO'S too old for WHAT?"  My Mother-in-law was only 53 at the time.

Sepiatone

I told my mother about the death of Mickey Rooney. She replied:

Yes, I loved that muchacho=boy.

Rooney was born on 23 Sept 1920; Francisca Roldan was born on 30 Nov 1929.

Like many old people, my mother is not good at judging people's ages. She described the handyman who is painting her bedroom as a young man; that young man has a 29 y/o son.

At what age do men and women stop being young people? Compared to Francisca I am young, but that does not detract from the fact that a man of 59 and a half years of age no longer qualifies as a boy.

I am 65 going on 25, and I am completely serious.

My childhood was not as idyllic as it should have been, so I'm trying to make up for that by doing now everything that I did not do when I was a chronological, as opposed to an spiritual, youngster.

You know, if it wasn't for the white hair in my beard, the extra chin, the wattle on my neck, the "popping" of my joints while getting out of bed, the stiffness in my legs and the bags under my eyes,  I wouldn't look or feel as old as I really am!  :D 

Sepiatone

The only daily reminder I get is from a broken ankle I had about 5 years ago. After 3 months in an external fixator all healed well but I never regained full motion and it stiffens up when I sit idle for more than 20 minutes. I am fortunate.

You know you're getting old when.. as you are walking through your house, you stop every two or three steps to pick a piece of lint or thread off the floor.

I am 65 going on 25....

So finance ol' buddy, how's your singing voice?

(...'cause I hear they're casting for the geriatric edition of "The Sound of Music" at the Cherry Hill Retirement Center just across the river from ya next Tuesday!)

• Like 1

The only daily reminder I get is from a broken ankle I had about 5 years ago. After 3 months in an external fixator all healed well but I never regained full motion and it stiffens up when I sit idle for more than 20 minutes. I am fortunate.

You know you're getting old when.. as you are walking through your house, you stop every two or three steps to pick a piece of lint or thread off the floor.

One thing many people don't understand is that most physical therapy isn't to ensure mobility or lack of pain in the near term but in the long, long terms.  e.g.  20 years after the injury.       Many people stop PT as soon as they feel better.   Ok that makes sense in the short term but 10 or more years later they may wish they completed all the PT assigned to them.   By than it is too late for PT to have much of an impact.

One thing many people don't understand is that most physical therapy isn't to ensure mobility or lack of pain in the near term but in the long, long terms.  e.g.  20 years after the injury.       Many people stop PT as soon as they feel better.   Ok that makes sense in the short term but 10 or more years later they may wish they completed all the PT assigned to them.   By than it is too late for PT to have much of an impact.

I followed through with all of my PT and my muscles are doing great because of it. The resetting of the bones resulted in a loss of flexibility in the ankle. I can walk fine.. just can't point my toes - as if to put on my western boots.

I miss those boots <sniff!>

Kid_Dabb, a bunch of us came up one day with a list of how you can tell when you reached "middle age".  Some of the better ones:

....When you wake up feeling like it's "the morning after", and there was no "night before".

...When you think someone's making popcorn for breakfast only to realize that sound is your bones as you get out of bed.

...When you say "good morning" to your Dad, then discover you're just looking in the mirror.

...When you wake up in the morning, and it's your back that's s t i f f..

Sepiatone

Kid_Dabb, a bunch of us came up one day with a list of how you can tell when you reached "middle age".  Some of the better ones:

....When you wake up feeling like it's "the morning after", and there was no "night before".

...When you think someone's making popcorn for breakfast only to realize that sound is your bones as you get out of bed.

...When you say "good morning" to your Dad, then discover you're just looking in the mirror.

...When you wake up in the morning, and it's your back that's s t i f f..

Sepiatone

:lol:

ROFL...! 

All great! I hadn't heard any of those before. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings