Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COLOR ME UNHAPPY WITH PROGRAMMING

Sunday, 4/13, was chosen as the day for the Mickey Rooney tribute...that means no GENOCIDE or THE X FROM OUTER SPACE. Add me to the list of viewers unhappy with schedule changes to pay tribute to dead stars. And I predicted that John Wayne's SEA SPOILERS would never make it on the air on the 21st. Why? Because it's a 1930s Universal. Grrrrrr.

Sunday, 4/13, was chosen as the day for the Mickey Rooney tribute...that means no GENOCIDE or THE X FROM OUTER SPACE. Add me to the list of viewers unhappy with schedule changes to pay tribute to dead stars. And I predicted that John Wayne's SEA SPOILERS would never make it on the air on the 21st. Why? Because it's a 1930s Universal. Grrrrrr.

I agree that TCM should just schedule tributes in the future instead of changing scheduled programming.    

I can't find anything on the original 4/13 schedule that I can't live without, but I'd agree that tributes to deceased stars should be made far enough down the road that no pre-emptions are necessary.   I'd hate to see a premiere of some long-awaited film removed, merely in order to run a film that's already been shown 50 times, as is the case with virtually any Mickey Rooney movie.

It's not the dead stars who should be more considerate. But I thought that was obvious.

i was being sarcastic. but i thought that was... skip it.

it just seems more respectful to pay tribute to stars at the time of their passing, not several weeks later.

sorry youre going to miss your movies.

I actually wanted to see Bombshell this morning, and I'm rather annoyed that it's been pre-empted.  Being in Canada a lot of the movies that I'd like to see this month keep being replaced on the Canadian schedule. 

This same battle happens everytime there is a death of a major star...as long as that star made films whose rights are easily obtained. For Paramount/Universal stars it's a little different.

It took TCM the better part of a year to get to Deanna Durbin and then it was only two films. I'm sure the Durbin fans weren't thrilled with either the long delay or lack of films.

Anyway, TCM is never going to please everyone but I tend to side with the idea that a timely tribute is the better course.

• Like 1

Anyway, TCM is never going to please everyone but I tend to side with the idea that a timely tribute is the better course.

And think of all the people who never had memorials on cable television-- the ones who died so many years ago, before cable was even a part of everyone's life.  Can you imagine what it would have been like if Marilyn Monroe had lived as long as Mickey Rooney and people were complaining about an all-day tribute for her? LOL  

• Like 1

And think of all the people who never had memorials on cable television-- the ones who died so many years ago, before cable was even a part of everyone's life.  Can you imagine what it would have been like if Marilyn Monroe had lived as long as Mickey Rooney and people were complaining about an all-day tribute for her? LOL  

Again,  people here (like me),  are not complaining about an all-day tribute for any star but that TCM changes their pre-set schedule for such a tribute.     It doesn't matter how 'big' the star was.    e.g.  I'm a hugh fan of Olivia DeHavilland (#3 on my favorite actress list),   but when she dies I would still wish that TCM didn't change their pre-set schedule for her tribute .

I also feel the POV that delaying a tribute is somehow disrespectful is over the top (as long as all tributes were delayed all stars are being treated equally and therefore there is no disrespect).

And I predicted that John Wayne's SEA SPOILERS would never make it on the air on the 21st. Why? Because it's a 1930s Universal. Grrrrrr.

Although I do have a nice copy of Sea Spoilers. I also would come down on the side of not pre-empting scheduled films when a star dies.