Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Allow me to recommend Angel and the Badman

slaytonf

The more I see it, the more I like it.  It's not an epic western, but it has a lot to recommend it.  There is a good cast, John Wayne, Harry Carey, and Gail Russell (whose startling eyes come through even in black and white).  And it has the usual action scenes, the stampede, the barroom brawl, the chase.  What really sets it off is the writing.  At first I admired it for the scenes between John Wayne and Gail Russell.  The dialog was entertaining and clever, and they definitely have on-screen chemistry.  But the quality of the writing can be seen all through the movie.  It's spare and unadorned.

It's also ably directed.  James Edward Grant, who was mostly known for his scriptwriting, pulls off some nice flourishes that could have come across as just tricky.  He also nicely punctuates the movie with dramatic surprises, as when water explodes from a flue, or when Quirt Evans (John Wayne) bursts into the Worth's house with the injured Penelope (Gail Russell).  It reminds me a lot like He Walked By Night, or The Thing From Another World, which had direction by others than the one credited (Anthony Mann and Howard Hawks, respectively).  If it is Mr. Grant, he does a good job for one of the two films he directed.

You may think you missed it, if you did, that is.  But it will repeat on Friday, April 25, at 9:00 am PT, as part of John Wayne's STOM marathon.

Try to catch it, you won't be sorry.

Yes,  Angel and the Badman is an enjoyable movie.   Gail Russell has the type of screen persona were I just want to protect her.    Those eyes of her really get to me.     I really wish TCM would show the film Calcutta where she plays the femme fatale,  but I assume there are rights issues. 

Sad that her drinking problems impacted her career.   

• Like 1

This is my favorite John Wayne film. We see Quirt stumble from his fallen horse and Thomas Worth yells "Penny, bring the wagon!" - Immediate action of Penny speeding to the scene, she stands, rigidly flexing as she lurches to a stop and we see her framed, strong and confident in all that she does. What an entrance! By both! Gail Russell's character makes this film. John Wayne's character is just there for her to play against. Red River is my second best John Wayne film.

• Like 1

i watched this movie for the first time a coupla weeks ago.

i immediately *knew* that russell and wayne shared relationship off screen.

imo, this made their on screen relationship appear rather phony.

Interesting.  I wasn't aware Wayne and Russell had anything going after hours, but it is usually thought that off-screen affairs make for especially electric on-screen chemistry.

Interesting.  I wasn't aware Wayne and Russell had anything going after hours, but it is usually thought that off-screen affairs make for especially electric on-screen chemistry.

Did they or didn't they? Wayne's wife Esperanza seems to have though so. She even took a shot at him as he returned home after the wrap party for the film. Wayne stated there was no "affair', but years later his wife named Gail as "the other woman" in their divorce.. Russell was married to actor Guy Madison at the time. In the 1950's her career fizzled, due to her drinking. Wayne tried to help her and cast her in " 7 Men from Now" with Randy Scott and Lee Marvin. He was suppose to have starred in it, his company produced it, but he was busy with the "Seachers" I think 7 Men" is a wonderful Western and a minor classic.  But it wasn't enough and she died at age 36 of a heart attack...

Wayne tried to help her and cast her in " 7 Men from Now" with Randy Scott and Lee Marvin.   I think 7 Men" is a wonderful Western and a minor classic.

This number of the Bud Boetticher/Randy Scott Western series is one of my favorites.  Definitely one of the great low-profile Westerns.  Lee Marvin revolts us with his slimy evil--in a good way.  Randolph Scott surprises us with his brusk, not-necessarily-caring-if you-like-him-or-not almost anti-hero portrayal.  But Gail Russell's eyes rule.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings