Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM on iPad Mini - Wont Play on TV :-(

Stu3

Finally got my TCM app working on my iPad mini.  :)

When I connect my my iPad to my big screen TV via HDMI it won't display on the TV.   :(

NetFlix, Hulu etc work fine so I don't think the problem is with a setting in the iPad itself.

Wondering if TCM has configured the app so that it will not allow users to display TCM movies on users TVs.  

Anyone else having this problem or have any thoughts?

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

TIA

Stu

anyone?  Throw me bone here.... :rolleyes:

can someone with an iPad try and connect it to their tv at home via HDMI and tell me if they can watch movies via iPad.  Would take 30 seconds to test....

anyone?  Throw me bone here.... :rolleyes:

can someone with an iPad try and connect it to their tv at home via HDMI and tell me if they can watch movies via iPad.  Would take 30 seconds to test....

Stu, 

I hesitate to reply because I have no iPad to refer to. I have looked around for an answer, though.

Besides an HDMI cable, you should also have an Apple AV adapter. From what I've read, this is the simplest connection without using Apple TV. Here is the AV/Charger Adapter..

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD098ZM/A/apple-digital-av-adapter?fnode=3a

Here are some pages which may help. Be sure to scroll down to the comments/questions to see how others are dealing with this.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20838426#20838426

http://www.iskysoft.com/apple-ipad/convert-ipad-to-tv.html

Stu, 

I hesitate to reply because I have no iPad to refer to. I have looked around for an answer, though.

Besides an HDMI cable, you should also have an Apple AV adapter. From what I've read, this is the simplest connection without using Apple TV. Here is the AV/Charger Adapter..

Here are some pages which may help. Be sure to scroll down to the comments/questions to see how others are dealing with this.

Fascinating and, as I find to often be true with Apple, exasperating. I have a three year old Acer android tablet and I just plugged in the HDMI cable and watched TCM through the big set this morning.

Apple is the best at innovation, but not always the best at the simplicity thing.

Stu, 

I have an HDMI cable and AV adapter.....got that....  and it works fine with Netflix application.    My question is I wonder if somehow the TCM application was written so that they intentionally won't let it work.

Surely someone here has an Ipad that they use to connect to their TV via HDMI and can test this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

Is it an HDCP issue?

@Stu3

I see your point. There has been an ongoing problem with TCM's mobile app(s) on these boards. This is, quite possibly, on their end. Maybe you're required to watch it through your ISP and need to log-in via their sign-up page for TCM to make the complete connection - I dunno.. like streaming to a laptop or desktop.

I hope someone with an iPad kicks in here. I'd like to have an answer to this myself.

@Stu3

I see your point. There has been an ongoing problem with TCM's mobile app(s) on these boards. This is, quite possibly, on their end. Maybe you're required to watch it through your ISP and need to log-in via their sign-up page for TCM to make the complete connection - I dunno.. like streaming to a laptop or desktop.

I hope someone with an iPad kicks in here. I'd like to have an answer to this myself.

With the android app, you do have to login by telling them which cable/sat provider you have. I guess that's to confirm you subscribe to the service.

Finally got my TCM app working on my iPad mini.  :)

When I connect my my iPad to my big screen TV via HDMI it won't display on the TV.   :(

NetFlix, Hulu etc work fine so I don't think the problem is with a setting in the iPad itself.

Wondering if TCM has configured the app so that it will not allow users to display TCM movies on users TVs.  

Anyone else having this problem or have any thoughts?

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

TIA

Stu

According to various TCM staffers at the Film Festival last week, the WatchTCM app should work on Apple products.

Be sure that you are signed in to the WatchTCM app (which is not the same as being signed on to the TCM Website or the message boards).

The WatchTCM App requires a separate sign in.

You log into the App by picking your cable or satellite provider and then logging in using the name you use when logging into their (your provider's) website.

• 2 weeks later...

According to various TCM staffers at the Film Festival last week, the WatchTCM app should work on Apple products.

Be sure that you are signed in to the WatchTCM app (which is not the same as being signed on to the TCM Website or the message boards).

The WatchTCM App requires a separate sign in.

You log into the App by picking your cable or satellite provider and then logging in using the name you use when logging into their (your provider's) website.

lzcutter and others....appreciate your help but I don't think you understand my question......  The TCM app works fine on my iPad mini.  The issue is that I can't get my ipad mini to display TCM on a TV when I am away from home in a hotel.  My ipad has no problem displaying iTunes or Netflix on the hotel TV using an HDMI cable.  It is just TCM that will not display.  Does anyone here use an iPad (regular or mini) to watch TCM?  I just want to know if it is a problem with my ipad or is it the way the TCM app is designed?  Maybe the TCM application designer do not want you to be able to display the TCM app on a big TV?  Maybe they want you to use your TV to watch TCM.  And when you are watching at home, it makes sense...ie you would watch TCM on your regular TV.  Or if you are at home and your iPad is connected to your home network (ie Charter Communications) it might also work.  But what about when you are away from home and using another network?

Do you guys understand my question?

• 3 months later...

TCM does have a problem with the Watch TCM app on iOS.  I have been porting Watch TCM from my Samsung Note 3 to my TV with no problems. It worked so well I purchased the Apple Lighting to AV adapter with the HDMI plug and found that I was getting the iPad home screen, Watch TCM home screen but when I selected a movie I only had the audio track play but the screen was blank.  It is a bug in the iOS version of the application,  Hopefully they are fixing it.

• 1 month later...

I am having the exact same problem.

I have an ipad, and on it I can access the Watch TCM app, watch movies, etc... ( and I am logged in with Watch TCM/cable provider).  When I connect to the HDMI to my TV I can view on the TV screen the app, scroll through the various menus but when i want to watch a movie all I get is the audio of the movie coming through my TV speakers. I thought maybe this was some sort of restriction placed by TCM and my Cable provider.  I dont like it. I'm in my home, I pay an arm and a leg for my cable subscription and I want to watch TCM movies on my own schedule. I thought this would be easy. What was I thinking...

This is only tangentially related, but...

I sometimes connect my iPad to my TV, using an adapter connected to an HDMI cable. I traded in my full-size iPad for a mini. I was told that I only need additional little adapted, to attach to the adapter I already had. It didn't work. A more knowledgeable person then told me that you can't use two adapters at the same time -- it won't work. I got the one piece that goes from the mini to the HDMI, and it works.

But that has nothing to do with TCM -- just with connecting iPads to TVs.

I sometimes connect my iPad to my TV, using an adapter connected to an HDMI cable. I traded in my full-size iPad for a mini. I was told that I only need additional little adapted, to attach to the adapter I already had. It didn't work. A more knowledgeable person then told me that you can't use two adapters at the same time -- it won't work. I got the one piece that goes from the mini to the HDMI, and it works.

Evidently, TCM has no interest in facilitating this connection. I found this answer concerning this problem:

willmckinley says: 

January 27, 2014 at 8:17 PM

"TCM doesn’t want you to do what you’re trying to do. They don’t want you to be able to access their content on a TV set through any other means but the signal provided by your cable or satellite provider. As such, it’s very possible that they’ve programmed something into the feed that will prevent it from properly playing via an export from the iPad."

• Like 1