Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BOO TO TCM MESSAGE BOARDS

drednm

Along with the ugly new format, I was forced to register under my old screen name as a NEW MEMBER with all my history gone. It would not let me re-register as an existing member.

Makes no sense at all. My old name DREDNM was available (why?) but I couldn't use my current email address (why?) that was attached to my account for more than 10 years and thousands of posts.

No biggie.... but I won't be back unless they fix it. Moira, are you reading this? You didn't respond to my email......

• Like 1

Had the same problem. Since you are able to post here, you can go to this page for assistance. Be sure to give the Display Name you wish to use along with your Password and email.

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48434-registering-issues/

At first, it may appear as if you are going through the same (wrong) process but no..

When you have received new instructions follow through using your incorrect name. Once signed in you can go to your profile settings and change this to the name you had which will link all your history back to you. 

Along with the ugly new format, I was forced to register under my old screen name as a NEW MEMBER with all my history gone. It would not let me re-register as an existing member.

Makes no sense at all. My old name DREDNM was available (why?) but I couldn't use my current email address (why?) that was attached to my account for more than 10 years and thousands of posts.

No biggie.... but I won't be back unless they fix it. Moira, are you reading this? You didn't respond to my email......

Man you really seem upset about all of these wonderful new changes? So you won't return until they "fix" the site?? That seems rather extreme. Why not just sit back and look around. You might find something interesting.

Many "old-timers" have had similar issues with the new boards. But what did you expect? A clear sailing through some rough shoals?

The changes brought about by the new message boards have been the best thing that could have ever happened to the message boards. The old operating system was just that "old". It was worn out and failed almost every week. Whenever the administrators tried to update the system, it would take months to get all of the bugs worked out. Many here would continually complain about the "supposed" upgrades.

But this is true with any change. Just like it is out in the real world. We all must deal with change everyday. That is life. So get over it, it's not like you are the only person who comes here has had any problems.

My advice is this:

As Kid_Dabb has written you should follow her suggestion. Visit the page she suggests you go to. And even after that, if you continue to fail to get your posts back, you should contact the administrators. They are much easier to get ahold of now and their response time has been pretty good too. Below is a screen capture of the Moderator. You should contact him directly using the "Message the Member" button. You should get a reply. They have been very helpful so far during this transition.

2znnwwm.png

The other thing I would suggest is to give the new message boards some time. They did a wonderful job of making these new boards much more user friendly than they were before. This is NOT to say that some folks still are having problems, they are. But their problems pale in comparison to the old board.

Many have commented about the demise of the Hot Topics Forum. And yet if you really want a certain thread to come back to life they are more than happy to discuss a comeback for any thread. So thats not really the end of the world as many have seemed to suggest.

Just sit back and try and look around. I am sure you will find something that might interest you. Good luck.

• Like 2

My advice is this:

As Kid_Dabb has written you should follow her suggestion. Visit the page she suggests..

Thanks, fxreyman.

One thing I would like to point out.. I am a "he" , not a "her" - just so nobody gets the wrong idea  B)

• Like 1

I like the new boards very much. My usual computer is problematic at the moment, so I'm using my Mac (which I'm not crazy about).  The new board comes across very well whilst using Safari. I'm interested to see how it is when I get back to my preferred IE.

im stunned so many people had issues getting onto to the new boards. i got in on my phone. the only trouble i had was the codes wouldnt copy and paste from the email sent by tcm, so i typed the hundred or so character code into my browser, then copied and pasted from there. voyla! but then i tend to be luckier than some.

im enjoying the "new content" feature most of all. super easy to see the latest activity. is it perfection? no. but a vast improvement and i hope there are changes to come

Well, I'm in agreement over the "last post first" thing too.  And any suggestions from others on how to change this didn't work for me.  But I like y'all too much to "take my ball and go home" because of the changes.  So far, the only problem I had after the change was with my password.  The site didn't remember it, and re-registering required me to use their too long and multi charactered replacement.  I was informed I could edit and restore my original password, but so far, I haven't seen where I could do this.  I also miss responding to a particular poster via the little "dialogue balloon" symbol that used to be at the top of each post.  No biggie.  There are ways to respond that work just as well.

And I'm STILL not sure how to use the "quote" feature here yet.  Doesn't work the same way as in other forums I belong to.

Sepiatone

Click on "Sepiatone" at the top right of this page and you'll get a dropdown. Choose "My Settings". The page that comes up will allow you to change lots of things. Email and Password is the 2nd category down on the left hand side. You don't have to change both - you can change just one of them, in your case the bottom one.

As far as the "Quote" function goes, I have not been able to use it if I'm using Internet Explorer as my browser. Which browser do you use?

Quick note - if the system doesn't seem to want to let you back in after having visited your settings, just close the browser and open a new one and the problem clears up. It's a quirk I've experienced.

~ I also miss responding to a particular poster via the little "dialogue balloon" symbol that used to be at the top of each post.  No biggie.  There are ways to respond that work just as well. And I'm STILL not sure how to use the "quote" feature here yet.  Doesn't work the same way as in other forums I belong to.

Sepiatone

Sepia ~ I'm still trying to find my way around the new boards; your response gave me an opportunity to use the new reply option . . . the old one seemed a bit more intuitive, but I was due to update (most of) my former ways of thinking. When responding to your post, I simply "clicked" on the Quote feature (button/tab) at the bottom of your original post and edited your text slightly. I then typed my text in the space below the quote area. I hope this is of some help to you.

Drednm--I didn't get your email. Please try to PM me here or at the SSO and I'll try to contact you here or elsewhere too.. I also have no history and am sorry to read that others have had such difficulty re-registering. The new format doesn't bother me since it is the first time I have been able to log onto the TCM Forum in months. Wish I could do more to help. Please let me know if I can be of any practical help, Drednm!

Moira Finnie