Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1939)

Kid Dabb

As long as i can remember, I have been trying to watch this film each and every time it has been aired. I cannot seem to make it through any great length of it to save my life.

This is a highly rated film with a highly rated star and cast which, to me, seems highly melodramatic in performance. I could maybe handle this if I were watching a stage show - I would expect this type of showing. Not on film, though.

The music during Jim & Huck's runaway scenes with the hounds chasing them and Huck's snakebite seems better fitted to a Saturday morning mystery series than a Mark Twain tale.

I like all the actors in this film, just not their acting in this film. I'm sure they have all been directed in this manner because they all seem to go a little overboard in their interpretations.

You know what..? The next time this is aired I'll stop and watch it again. and again.. and

I am just the opposite.  If I find I am not enjoying a movie I am watching, or I feel I need to force my way through it, I stop watching it.  Why should I waste my time on a movie that's a chore to watch?  I've much better things to do, like stare off blankly into space.  Many times, I know in the first five or ten seconds of a movie if it's worth watching.  I don't worry if it will improve.  I've found that while movies can get worse, they never get better.

I've found that while movies can get worse, they never get better.

It's true that movies don't change over ther years, but I've found that I certainly have. There are many films I remember hating, first time around,, but then years later, I'll catch them again on TCM or at a film society screening and will end up loving. Of course, it works both ways. There are those I fondly remember as a kid and then after seeing again for the  first time in forty years will end up saying to myself "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?". :D

I agree with what you say, but I'm afraid I wasn't clear in my post.  What I meant was that if a movie starts out unenjoyable, or bad, it stays that way.  After all, the people making the movie stay the same.  There might be moments here and there that are better, but it's not worth slogging through the rest of the dreck to see them.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings