Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy 20th Birthday TCM!

Mutascope

It was 20 years ago today that me, and a small group of movie lovers, TV non-conformists, brilliant designers, producers, writers and artists all joined together to launch TCM and helped bring Ted Turner's dream for a movie channel to life.  

Thanks to everyone who shares a part of its history. Bill Burke, Shannon Davis, Cindy Argendeli, Wayne Johnson,  Bill Cosby, Robert Osborne, Kathryn Evans, along with a stellar management team and staff. Special thanks to the many stars, celebrities, actors, hosts, writers, producers, editors, film researchers and historians, motion graphics designers, voice-talent, composers, musicians and of course, the viewers and fans. They all deserve much thanks for helping shape TCM into a "must have" channel that's still true to its mission and brand essence for two incredible decades.  

Check out some behind the scenes videos, a montage of TCM's on-air branding and more to come throughout 2014: https://www.youtube.com/user/TCMTribute

Happy 20th Birthday TCM!

Glenn Kesner

VP/Creative Director 1994-1999

• Like 1

I'm so glad that TCM has been around 20 years.  I remember when it was new.  When it first came out, it wasn't a premium channel (or at least one that you needed to have at least the second or third tier cable package) or satellite, it was on extended basic cable, which is what my family had.  We had TCM back in the day when I was in middle school.  I remember watching every Lucille Ball movie I could because I loved her (and still do).  It was comforting to watch TCM when I was home sick.  I would end up watching some random movie and it was always fun.  I was so sad when TCM moved off our cable package.  When I was finally grown and on my own, I splurged for the first level of cable that would give me TCM again, I felt like I was reuniting with an old friend.

It's amazing that not only has TCM been around 20 years and is thriving.  I love the sense of community that surrounds the channel.  It's truly a special channel that appeals to a wide audience; but at the same time, a niche audience, if that makes any sense.  The fact that it's also been able to stay commercial free is amazing and I hope that never changes. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings