Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

KC had an Oriole pie tonight!!  That's five straight wins for the Royals!!!  I smell a World Series coming!!  They are jacking out the long ball in the playoffs so far.  More Oriole drum sticks to come. 

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmypHZmXdU3o&ei=h9g4VI6ILoKtoQSu0YKoCg&usg=AFQjCNGpul9WxROa5hKdtgi4bo90jO5grQ&sig2=hzgEGm5gXk66_-wzyAUKjw&bvm=bv.77161500,d.cGU

Someone up above has decreed that the KC Royals are going all the way. and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

• Like 1

Someone up above has decreed that the KC Royals are going all the way. and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

The Royals have captured my support but the statement above is slightly premature IMO. Long way to go yet.

RAINED OUT!!!

I am so bummed. Looking so forward to Game Three. I am a grown up but I'm whining anyway. Waaah!!!

Here is some diversion:

Who can tell me what's happening here? You might have to be a pretty old person to know this? Anyone care to provide any details here?

:)

24haddixA_xl.jpg

Yep, I remember reading about a Pirates pitcher who lost a chance at

a no-hitter or something and the name Harvey Haddix popped up from

somewhere in my brain. Wiki did the rest. Harvey Haddix, pitching for

the Pirates, had a perfect game going into the 13th inning against

the Milwaukee Braves in 1959. Then the Braves got a few hits and

won the game and Haddix lost his chance at a perfect game, though

I suppose he could always say 'I pitched a nine-inning perfect game'

and maybe get away with it.

If it were me, I would simply say, "I pitched a perfect 12 innings." That's the feat, I even feel it is secondary that he lost the game, in fact the loss in an odd way gives the achievement a certain nobility. Interesting that it took an error to begin the 13th to break the skein, not a hit.

If it were me, I would simply say, "I pitched a perfect 12 innings." That's the feat, I even feel it is secondary that he lost the game, in fact the loss in an odd way gives the achievement a certain nobility. Interesting that it took an error to begin the 13th to break the skein, not a hit.

Haddix was a mediocre pitcher his entire career. Yet he always received a few Hall of Fame votes just because of this feat.

Haddix was a mediocre pitcher his entire career. Yet he always received a few Hall of Fame votes just because of this feat.

Oh come on now, he was 136-113 with a 3.63 ERA with 20 shutouts. Not that great but not that bad. I might raise him above mere mediocrity if only slightly. But I agree, the Hall of Fame is not meant for one-feat wonders (nor for the slightly-above-mediocre either).

kcwinaa.jpg

How can the Royals NOT make the World Series!? Only ONCE in the history of

the MLB has a team come back down 3-0 in a post season. The Red Sox defeated

the Yankees for the pennant in 2004 after being down 3-0. That's it, one time.

kcwinaa.jpg

How can the Royals NOT make the World Series!? Only ONCE in the history of

the MLB has a team come back down 3-0 in a post season. The Red Sox defeated

the Yankees for the pennant in 2004 after being down 3-0. That's it, one time.

Has any other team won 7 straight games to begin the playoffs?

Has any other team won 7 straight games to begin the playoffs?

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals' 2-1 win over the Orioles on Tuesday night didn't just put them on the verge of an American League Championship Series sweep; it gave them seven consecutive victories to start this postseason, a feat accomplished by only two other teams throughout baseball history.

Think about that for a second. The Royals, in the playoffs for the first time in 29 years and sporting a roster full of homegrown players who have close to no experience on this stage, are now 7-for-7 in October.

Only the 1976 Reds and 2007 Rockies began a postseason with a seven-game winning streak.

(... snip...)

No team has ever begun the postseason with eight straight wins.

---mlb.com

has anyone else noticed the extended playing time of nfl football games within the last few years?

back in the day, they ran only three hours long; now it appears that the average time is damn near four hours long.        :(

has anyone else noticed the extended playing time of nfl football games within the last few years?

back in the day, they ran only three hours long; now it appears that the average time is damn near four hours long.        :(

I haven't checked the average times for the season so far but some changes were made that should reduce the game time, such as moving the spot for kickoffs.    There are a lot less 'returns' now and that saves some time.

All professional sports seem to have gotten slower and slower over time.  Game lengths are ridiculous anymore with tenth's of a second and whatnot.  The replay reviews seem to take forever in all sports.

Some of the increased length is welcomed by the league. More time for TV commercial breaks, and thus more revenue. The NFL has become a real gold mine, though I believe that total revenue of Major League baseball is still higher than that of the NFL. In baseball, the revenue is primarily of local origin. In the NFL, it is national.

Congratulations to the Kansas City Royals for their win today and their status as a World Series team. Will their, uh, momentum carry them to a World Series Champion.

I am sanguine about the idea of momentum in baseball. It exist certainly to a much greater degree in other sports; hockey, football, and basketball, to be sure. These are FASTER and a collective energy base is often evident when teams find that groove and elevate their game, we see this all the time. Baseball is so much different, so much slower and cerebral (if that’s a usable word here). That collective energy level just isn’t there IMO because the nature of the game just lend itself to it.  In fact, it can hurt you. Try standing at the plate all hopped up to make a hit, it doesn’t work. You wait and see what you get. If you’re too excited you swing at bad pitches etc. In baseball, you just go out there and do your best and hope to win.

Maybe this is why that traditionally there is much less demonstration by the players. We see it more today than in the past, more fist-pumping, yelling out loud, jumping up and down during the course of the game but in the past there was an almost unwritten rule that one must be somewhat stoical during the course of the game. I believe this is because getting too excited about things going right at the time is sort of like tempting fate. There is less control in baseball. You can get beat by a nubber down the first base line at the wrong time, or fooling a batter who swings to soon but gets just enough for a Texas-Leaguer to win the game, a skimpy hit of the end of the end of bat that finds the hole scoring two runs, etc., all of these paltry little occurrences that can win or lose a game for you. Baseball is more like LIFE than other sports. It can be so unfair. All pro sports can be aptly termed “a game of inches” but it applies to a much greater extend IMO in the game of baseball. Could this be in the back of minds of baseball players, i.e., don’t count your chickens, this game ain’t over till it’s over, man. Be cool, don’t tempt fate. There is a reason that traditioinally baseball did not have cheering sections. Again today, we see more of this, the rally hanky phenomena and the interactive scoreboards, corporate America’s way of getting everyone over-hyped, consonant with our Modern Age. But again, traditionally, this wasn’t really around in baseball, not to say that you couldn’t get excited at a baseball game, of course fans can and do, but baseball doesn’t lend itself to systemized cheering sections and the like. It’s a more staid game, cerebral, strategic, but not without, of course, the tactical element of the long ball. But can we agree that the idea of hyped-up energy charge that occurs in other sports don’t really exist in baseball, better to maintain yourself and do your best, and the way to do that is too stay calm and focussed. Yes?

But I can’t discount completely it the idea of momentum in baseball. It’s more subtle. It only SEEMS like momentum IMO. Case in point, our current KC Royals who are stunning the baseball world. There SEEMS a definite momentum in progress there. But it’s on a different plane that other sports. I’ve always thought that Kirk Gibson’s BobbyThomson-like homer in the 1988 World Series did something more than just win that first game, it spearheaded a sort of momentum that carried the Dodgers home. They did not pull off a sweep, they won in five games, but they were a pretty heavy underdog in that Series and yet they won with relative ease. Did that homer help with that, other than just winning the first game, quite so, I think. Flashback to 1960, everyone remembers Maz’ homer (but who btw remembers Hal Smith) but what is not generally remembered or even known is that the New York Yankees won their last 15 games of the regular season and carried that streak right into the World Series. Already heavily favored it was nevertheless pointed out at the time that if they won the opener, their momentum would prrobably result in a sweep of the Pirates. Maris homered in the first for a 1-0 lead but the Pirates came back with three in the bottom of the first and ended up winning that first game, 6-4.

All of this to mean, watch closely game one of the Series. If the Royals prevail, will that carry them home! Quite possibly, but I feel that it’s not momentum in the sense of other sports, it’s going out and playing good fundemental baseball on a daily basis. That’s not momentum, that’s just being good and being consistently good.

[sidebar]

The Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 in the seven games, their wins were by 16-3, 10-0, and 12-0, while the Pirates were winning their games by threadbare margins. Also, I seem to remember (I haven’t looked this up, I seem to remember this), that Casey Stengal opted to start Art Ditmar in Game One, wanting to save Whitey Ford for Yankee Stadium in Game Three. Absolutely silly, Oh Casey how could you do that? Ford was the ace and already clutch World Series pitcher, Casey seemed to think that it would be better to start him at home first. You always start your ace in Game One in a seven-game series, that way he could get three starts, if necessary. As it happened, Ford went 2-0 in the Series, including a shutout in Pittsburgh, no less. Casey may have been overconfident and didn’t think it would make a difference. In retrospect it may have just cost him the Series.

On the morining of Game Seven, I made one of the worst decisions of my life. I have never revealed this to anyone. My parents gave me the option to stay home from school to watch it. I declined, in agony that the Yanikees were going to pull of one of their mighty displays of power, I didn’t think I could bear to watch it. Better to go to school and get those between-class reports. I had a transistor radio and I was in the library when Maz hit it, I remember bounding across the library floor in some sort of transportive state, practically causing a disturbance (you didn’t make scenes in libraries, ESPECIALLY back then.) But oh, what a coward not to stay home. I regard that game as the greatest World Series game played in my lifetime. And Hal Smith’s three-run homer in the eighth to make it 9-7 was actually more exciting than the Maz because the game wasn’t over yet. I won’t go into it here, but a totally unique play occurred in the top of the ninth involving Mickey Mantle and his scramble back to first, a play that brought in the winning run, anyone remember that? I have never heard of that happening again, a total heads-up play by the Mick that kept the Yanks alive in the ninth. I would be interested to know if anyone remembers that, a totally unique play, perhaps the only time it has ever happened.

…But maybe I wasn’t alone in my cowardice. Bing Crosby, part owner of the Pirates, made no attempt to attend the game. He may have felt as I did. He was in Paris (he could have been in Pitt if he wanted to) listening over short-wave radio. He did make possible a recording of that Game Seven by a special process for the time, it is the only complete record of the game. It still exists and perhaps available, not sure. In those days, games were taped for television but these tapes were taped over with other sports events. How awful is that!. It wasn’t until later than complete video transcripts were recorded and retained for World Series games.

[end sidebar]

[end note]

Casey Stengal was “retired” by the Yankees after that 1960 World Series. “That’s what I get for turning 70,” he said. “I’ll never make that mistake again.”

A mistake I have recently made.

:D

Long post, thank you for your indulgence and for reading … I feel a sense of being carried away here, oh well, who cares, when you're this old, what does it matter? I’m actually a disaffected baseball fan, I don’t even pay attention to regular season any more and normally only a cursory glance at playoff time. I am a victim of the aftermath of the baseball strike of ’94 along with the ensuing Steroid Era. Baseball is simply not the same for me (although it is continuing to detach from those awful influences). Now if they'll just get the dress code right, I may come back. But I still have a love for the game however dormant it may be most of the time, and, as you can guess, I love to delve into the past.

==

The Royals were formed in 1968, 3 years after the As departed for Oakland. They were perhaps the most successful of all expansion franchises. By 1971, they were a consistent contender, for the next 20 years. In the '90s and thereafter, however, they've been nowhere. But they're back, in a big way.

The two surviving Wild Card Teams will meet in the World Series. Surviving because we have this dastardly one-game sudden-death system in place. The Giants and the Royals aren't complaining though. Obviously this is the first time that this has happened since this new system, but Wild Cards have in fact met in the World Series before, just once, in 2002, Angels-Giants.

The two surviving Wild Card Teams will meet in the World Series. Surviving because we have this dastardly one-game sudden-death system in place. The Giants and the Royals aren't complaining though. Obviously this is the first time that this has happened since this new system, but Wild Cards have in fact met in the World Series before, just once, in 2002, Angels-Giants.

"The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the Pennant! The Giants win the pennant"!..........The most famous call in sports history COULD have been parroted after this year's walk-off home run, but instead Jon Miller intoned, "The Giants HAVE WON the pennant!"

The ROYALS in six.  Book it.  Live with it.  Love it.  Revel in it. As for me I will wallow in it.

I'll be pulling for the Royals.   Well really going against the Giants since as a Dodger fan I have ever forgiven them for hitting my catcher.   Yea, that was in the 60s and I was 5 years old, but hey, one still remembers! 

"The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the Pennant! The Giants win the pennant"!..........The most famous call in sports history COULD have been parroted after this year's walk-off home run, but instead Jon Miller intoned, "The Giants HAVE WON the pennant!"

It would have sounded corny to parrot that famous call IMO. I assume John Miller is the radio announcer. Joe Buck (television) said, "The Giants win the pennant," just once, thank God for that. For split a second I thought he was going to continue but he stopped. Whew!

You wrote: Bruce Bochy may be the best postseason manager in history. He gets the most out of role players in crucial situations.

Agreed. He is especially adept at handling pitching decisions. Casey Stengel  won five straight WS ('49-'53), but if Giants win this one, it will be three in the last five years, a feat that rivals that of Stengel due to the more elaborate playoff system today where you have to beat three teams (and four if you're a WC team.). Stengel had to worry about only one.

Edited by laffite

It would have sounded corny to parrot that famous call IMO. I assume John Miller is the radio announcer. Joe Buck (television) said, "The Giants win the pennant," just once, thank God for that. For split a second I thought he was going to continue but he stopped. Whew!

You wrote: Bruce Bochy may be the best postseason manager in history. He gets the most out of role players in crucial situations.

Agreed. He is especially adept at handling pitching decisions. Casey Stengel  won five straight WS ('49-'53), but if Giants win this one, it will be three in the last five years, a feat that rivals that of Stengel due to the more elaborate playoff system today where you have to beat three teams (and four if you're a WC team.). Stengel had to worry about only one.

...and the Giants lineups have been different for each of the three recent pennants. The only real constant is Buster Posey.

...and the Giants lineups have been different for each of the three recent pennants. The only real constant is Buster Posey.

As much as I hate those Giants I have to agree on Bochy.    I really wonder how much farther the Dodgers or Angels would have gone if they had him as their manager.