Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

11 hours ago, laffite said:

FACwXEr.jpg

Home runs galore. Here are a half dozen guys (thru Sat games) at the top averaging a home every two games.

Can we say that a corporate order came down to juice the ball this season?

Home runs and strike outs have been on the increase the last 5 or so years,  right?

It might not be juiced up balls as much as how younger players are not approaching the game;  instead of just just trying to make contact and living with the results,  it is go-for-the-fences and thus more home-runs and more strike-outs.

7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Home runs and strike outs have been on the increase the last 5 or so years,  right?

It might not be juiced up balls as much as how younger players are not approaching the game;  instead of just just trying to make contact and living with the results,  it is go-for-the-fences and thus more home-runs and more strike-outs.

There is some logic in what you say but I am not persuaded. Many homers result from easy swings. Buhler, the Dodger pitcher, hit one the other day that looked like it came of the end of the bat. Earlier in the season there was a "lazar" homer where a ball was a low line drive that cleared the center field fence. It almost defies gravity. And swing for the fences can easily be counter intuitive when trying to hit homers. The explanation for increased strikeouts goes deeper than swinging and missing as a result of trying for a home run. The umpires have something to do with it with their varying strike zones. And many K's result from just stupid hitting, half swings at balls in the dirt. I don't repudiate your view on this, you may be right ... but I'm not convinced. I think the ball just goes further and for a bad reason.

42 minutes ago, laffite said:

There is some logic in what you say but I am not persuaded. Many homers result from easy swings. Buhler, the Dodger pitcher, hit one the other day that looked like it came of the end of the bat. Earlier in the season there was a "lazar" homer where a ball was a low line drive that cleared the center field fence. It almost defies gravity. And swing for the fences can easily be counter intuitive when trying to hit homers. The explanation for increased strikeouts goes deeper than swinging and missing as a result of trying for a home run. The umpires have something to do with it with their varying strike zones. And many K's result from just stupid hitting, half swings at balls in the dirt. I don't repudiate your view on this, you may be right ... but I'm not convinced. I think the ball just goes further and for a bad reason.

Solid points;  hey,  it could be the result of climate change! (ha ha);

Most likely it is a combination of balls being "juicer" and a change in how young players approach the game (because increased strike-out can't be explained by a juiced ball).

Oh,  and what about that Tiger win!  I'm not much of a golf fan so even my wife was surprised I was watching golf on Sunday instead of the NBA playoffs.    I told her I was pulling for the Italian (my wife is Italian),  but I lied,  I was pulling for Tiger.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Oh,  and what about that Tiger win! 

I didn't think he would win another Major. Certainly a stunning development/. Can he catch Jack? I think so, if he can stay healthy. Still an uphill battle though. He was a tower of strength. Formidable in that final round. Jack is thinking, "Uh-oh."

With 2 more home runs today Yelich now has 13 in 22 games. This is not a believable major league stat. It should not be this easy to hit a home run in the major leagues. There are at least four or five others with similar numbers. These are statistics of SEISMIC proportions and I smell a FAULT. And it's not in hard swings or bad flings. It's the ball, stupid. To coin a phrase with a little twist. Sooner or later someone is going to write an article about the plethora of home runs this season. I'm thinking this season is on a par right now for having the most homers ever.

A bad day for Corporate America. Yelich not only did not hit a home run, he had one stolen from him by a great catch. The stock market  was adversely effected but the moguls are hoping for a recovery if Yelich can hit a few homers in today's game.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JakeHolman said:

A travesty Maximum Security got disqualified?   

Kentucky Derby winner was disqualified for violating a state regulation that penalizes horses for impeding the path of another in a race. 

Hope you didn't place a bet on it.

On 4/20/2019 at 10:22 PM, laffite said:

With 2 more home runs today Yelich now has 13 in 22 games. This is not a believable major league stat. It should not be this easy to hit a home run in the major leagues. There are at least four or five others with similar numbers. These are statistics of SEISMIC proportions and I smell a FAULT. And it's not in hard swings or bad flings. It's the ball, stupid. To coin a phrase with a little twist. Sooner or later someone is going to write an article about the plethora of home runs this season. I'm thinking this season is on a par right now for having the most homers ever.

As long as all teams use similar 'juiced' balls,  I don't see much of an issue.  

Of course it can be viewed as unfair to previous players and their stats,  but hey,  stats are made to be broken!

As long as all teams use similar 'juiced' balls,  I don't see much of an issue.  

Of course it can be viewed as unfair to previous players and their stats,  but hey,  stats are made to be broken!

1. It's not about it's the same for all, it's about the INTEGRITY of the game.

2. ...but hey, they are made to broken FAIRLY.

• Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, laffite said:

1. It's not about it's the same for all, it's about the INTEGRITY of the game.

2. ...but hey, they are made to broken FAIRLY.

If every team is using the same type of ball, (and the ball is only slightly 'juiced') how does that impact the INTEGRITY of the games being played?

It doesn't.   It only impacts the integrity of historical stats.

I think the "historical facts" are important. It' gives us the basis of comparison. It also contradicts your first statement where you say that everyone is using the same ball. That's not true when comparing all-time statistics. For one, I feel that is more important than manufacturing a juiced ball to appease less discriminating fans who get addicted to the home run. In this instance the game is being tampered with in a way that compromises the integrity of the game. IMO. The game will always change here and there over time in a natural way but what's going now is something else, it's being arbitrarily implemented from the outside. The home runs stats we see nowadays are ludicrous and lends a circus effect to the game. Maybe you like the circus. ;)

35 minutes ago, laffite said:

I think the "historical facts" are important. It' gives us the basis of comparison. It also contradicts your first statement where you say that everyone is using the same ball. That's not true when comparing all-time statistics. For one, I feel that is more important than manufacturing a juiced ball to appease less discriminating fans who get addicted to the home run. In this instance the game is being tampered with in a way that compromises the integrity of the game. IMO. The game will always change here and there over time in a natural way but what's going now is something else, it's being arbitrarily implemented from the outside. The home runs stats we see nowadays are ludicrous and lends a circus effect to the game. Maybe you like the circus. ;)

I think we are in agreement more than you believe;    I agree IF the ball is too 'juiced' that does impact the integrity of the game;    so to me the key here is IF the ball is over juiced;   I can't tell yet since it is only early May;   if home runs continue on a similar pace and we are in July,,,,,  well,   that would upset this baseball fan.     (but if home runs tapper off and in July the home-run leaders have stats that are consistent with prior seasons in the 21st century (well excluding the juiced player years),  than I don't see much of a problem).

Hey,  how about another baseball change that doesn't involve any tampering:  the 4 inning 'starting' pitcher (i.e. middle relievers starting in the 4th inning,  if not earlier).

My Dodgers are not doing this but I have heard that some other teams are;  is that true?    

Hey,  how about another baseball change that doesn't involve any tampering:  the 4 inning 'starting' pitcher (i.e. middle relievers starting in the 4th inning,  if not earlier).

My Dodgers are not doing this but I have heard that some other teams are;  is that true?    

No, not the four inning part. That's still a little early. But the trend is now the idea of a "quality start" where managers are happy if starters can give them a good five or six innings. By that time they are accumulating pitch count which I am sure you know is a big thing in today's game. The get in the 90-100 pitch number and they are near through, even if they have a no-hitter (which irks me). Roberts is very much in this vein as is Mattingly. But I think it is quite prevalent throughout the league. The Complete Game is a thing in the past, it still happens but quite rare. Used to be that if a pitcher was doing fine and had the lead  he could pitch to the end. To take him out when he was doing well invoked the criticism, "If it's not broke, don't fix it." That thinking is way out the window. The view now is to conserve arms (to the point of babying them IMO).

horse racing is very clannish ... they're circling the wagons...pc ... with 19 horses there are bumps and grinds starting at the first turn ... in fact at the start at the gate ... pres. trump is right ... as the owner said ... "it's a rodeo" ...