Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

...and the Giants lineups have been different for each of the three recent pennants. The only real constant is Buster Posey.

That's true (virtually) for 2010 when only Posey and Sandoval were on the starter's list according to Baseball Reference dot com. But in 2012 they were several players that are also on the current roster: Posey, Belt, B.Crawford, Sandoval, Pagan, and Pence.

Still, your point is taken. It's amazing that in a small trice of time, a mere four years, a manager can bring home a World Series participant (and perhaps winner) with a near completely different team. Dynasties of the past were almost always the same team every year (as you probably know), especially the years prior to free agency.

...and the Giants lineups have been different for each of the three recent pennants. The only real constant is Buster Posey.

Was Pablo Sandovol (love saying his name with a dramatic flourish) not in the last two World Series?

I wonder if Timmy will get to pitch. I hope so, though I guess he's been off his game.

Sorry, just noticed laffite wrote that the Panda (as he is endearingly known) was in the 2010 series.

Vegas has the Royals as the favorite...I gotta feeling we might be in store for a great World Series...

I think you're right. And yet who would have thought that these two teams would generate excitement. No would have expected or probably even wanted these two to end up in the WS. A couple of wild cards. But both teams are so hot and in the wake of this current winning streak by KS, there is a lot to look forward to here.

I'm withholding my prediction until Monday, still not sure. I'm leaning towards KC but not decided on how many games it will take, I'm inclined to shy away from calling a sweep, though, just not sure. I would like to suggest others to think about their own prediction, formula = KC in six, Giants in seven, or whatever might meet you're fancy. Those who are game for this, fire away!!

Two local commentators were opining that if the Giants win the first game, they'll win the series.  They also like the way Bruce Bochy changes players around, and in a way that doesn't shake up the players, who I guess typically are used to batting in a certain order, etc.  It was fascinating who came through in the post season, and I guess that's one of the surprises joys of baseball.  Someone might suddenly come out of a slump to become the hero of the day.  

I'd love the Giants to win, but would be thrilled for their fans if the Royals won. One can't be greedy!  I'm just so excited "we're" in the World Series again, and the spirit it brings to SF and northern California.  I love to see on TV how SF buildings and the bridges are lighted in orange.  Today I was at the mall and the Giants store was full people buying (expensive) merchandise.  Little kids were talking about the games and looked so excited.  I can only imagine how things are in Kansas City!

Well, since the Tigers blew their chance,  I don't care.

But if push came to shove, I'll  pull for the American League team.

It's like if the WINGS don't go far in the playoffs....I always pull for the team that was in the "original six".  If EITHER team wasn't I don't CARE who wins the cup!

Sepiatone

Two local commentators were opining that if the Giants win the first game, they'll win the series.  They also like the way Bruce Bochy changes players around, and in a way that doesn't shake up the players, who I guess typically are used to batting in a certain order, etc.  It was fascinating who came through in the post season, and I guess that's one of the surprises joys of baseball.  Someone might suddenly come out of a slump to become the hero of the day.  

I'd love the Giants to win, but would be thrilled for their fans if the Royals won. One can't be greedy!  I'm just so excited "we're" in the World Series again, and the spirit it brings to SF and northern California.  I love to see on TV how SF buildings and the bridges are lighted in orange.  Today I was at the mall and the Giants store was full people buying (expensive) merchandise.  Little kids were talking about the games and looked so excited.  I can only imagine how things are in Kansas City!

In Kansas City, it it no doubt the same, and have more of a case IMO by virtue of this unprecedented winning streak. The first game will be important, more important than usual. Normally the first is just one of seven, more important in this case with two hot teams.

One can't be greedy!

Yes, one can. This is Sports. The more greed the better. In Sports, one wants to win all the time. Winning is everything. And one doesn't have to feel guilty about it.

:)

Enjoyed that video clip. Notice (Soapbox alert) how all the players on each team all are dressed the same, complete with leg stockings. Our modern players just dress anyway they want (practically) and without the leggings look like they're wearing their pajamas. They look like a bunch of ragtag sandlot players.

Edited by laffite

In Kansas City, it it no doubt the same, and have more of a case IMO by virtue of this unprecedented winning streak. The first game will be important, more important than usual. Normally the first is just one of seven, more important in this case with two hot teams.

One can't be greedy!

Yes, one can. This is Sports. The more greed the better. In Sports, one wants to win all the time. Winning is everything. And one doesn't have to feel guilty about it.

:)

My family went to a college football game when I was about 6 or 7.  I was puzzled and indignant why people didn't clap and yell when both teams made touchdowns, because a good job should be rewarded, no matter who is playing.  Clearly I didn't get the concept, and maybe I still don't.   :huh: I'm rooting for the Giants, but the Royals are overdue to win, I suspect they will, and that's okay with me.  Anyway, that's my dizzy dame reasoning. 

Or am I thinking of Dizzy Dean?  ;)

My family went to a college football game when I was about 6 or 7.  I was puzzled and indignant why people didn't clap and yell when both teams made touchdowns, because a good job should be rewarded, no matter who is playing.  Clearly I didn't get the concept, and maybe I still don't.   :huh: I'm rooting for the Giants, but the Royals are overdue to win, I suspect they will, and that's okay with me.  Anyway, that's my dizzy dame reasoning. 

Your innate sense of fairness is laudatory ... and it's quite all right to be a sports fan like that now ... whatever pleases ... There is that other kind, however, the dyed-in-the-wool variety who can become quite demonstrative with seemingly unsavory attitudes, it's useful to remember that they don't really mean it when they say "kill the ump", or "I hate the Raiders" and to want to win it all (and every year if possible, no compromise). I'm kind of like that, no mercy.

I'm rooting for the Giants, but the Royals are overdue to win, I suspect they will, and that's okay with me.  Anyway, that's my dizzy dame reasoning. 

Faulty reasoning, yes ... but you're not going to see me write that it is "dizzy dame" reasoning ;-).. Despite all the blather about who is going to win, I believe really that it a virtual toss up. Although as stated below, I think the first game of the series is particularly important in this WS.

I love the mention of ole Diz. He was a character and a very colorful baseball broadcaster. He had his saying and his tics and if you liked him you didn't mind hearing them over and over. About every few games he would suddenly break out in song, usually his rendition of The Wabash Cannonball. I get streaks of nostalgia thinking about his banter, how long ago that was (Yike). I'm kind of a purist when it comes to baseball announcing, I tend like less color and more straight baseball expertise (i.e., Vin Scully) and sometimes these self-styled over-the-top color personalities could grate ... but not Diz, he was great IMO.

• Like 1

Your innate sense of fairness is laudatory ... and it's quite all right to be a sports fan like that now ... whatever pleases ... There is that other kind, however, the dyed-in-the-wool variety who can become quite demonstrative with seemingly unsavory attitudes, it's useful to remember that they don't really mean it when they say "kill the ump", or "I hate the Raiders" and to want to win it all (and every year if possible, no compromise). I'm kind of like that, no mercy.

I'm rooting for the Giants, but the Royals are overdue to win, I suspect they will, and that's okay with me.  Anyway, that's my dizzy dame reasoning. 

Faulty reasoning, yes ... but you're not going to see me write that it is "dizzy dame" reasoning ;-).. Despite all the blather about who is going to win, I believe really that it a virtual toss up. Although as stated below, I think the first game of the series is particularly important in this WS.

I love the mention of ole Diz. He was a character and a very colorful baseball broadcaster. He had his saying and his tics and if you liked him you didn't mind hearing them over and over. About every few games he would suddenly break out in song, usually his rendition of The Wabash Cannonball. I get streaks of nostalgia thinking about his banter, how long ago that was (Yike). I'm kind of a purist when it comes to baseball announcing, I tend like less color and more straight baseball expertise (i.e., Vin Scully) and sometimes these self-styled over-the-top color personalities could grate ... but not Diz, he was great IMO.

I'm not so sure.   The sports fans I meet in Boston were too serious for my taste.   e.g. I was at a business meeting and at lunch the topic was sports.   I made a joke about the Red-Soxes (this was before they had won a World Series),  man the looks I got.   One guy said he didn't think my joke was funny and that they really didn't like jokes being made about their team.      I felt luckly they still purchased the software I was writing for them!

I'm not so sure.   The sports fans I meet in Boston were too serious for my taste.   e.g. I was at a business meeting and at lunch the topic was sports.   I made a joke about the Red-Soxes (this was before they had won a World Series),  man the looks I got.   One guy said he didn't think my joke was funny and that they really didn't like jokes being made about their team.      I felt luckly they still purchased the software I was writing for them!

That was meant to be my overall point, James (although I was giving some lip service to those 'nice' ones.) Most sports fans take their teams very seriously, I agree. I may not have been quite clear enough. Even though sports fan can be fairly decent human beings in real life (but not always), they tend at times to get militant about their sports teams. When the Raiders come to town (San Diego), it can get nasty. The respective fans of these two teams don't like each other.

That was meant to be my overall point, James (although I was giving some lip service to those 'nice' ones.) Most sports fans take their teams very seriously, I agree. I may not have been quite clear enough. Even though sports fan can be fairly decent human beings in real life (but not always), they tend at times to get militant about their sports teams. When the Raiders come to town (San Diego), it can get nasty. The respective fans of these two teams don't like each other.

And that's because Raider fans are some of the most obnoxious to be found ANYWHERE. A short story to follow...

In 1994, I attended the very last Los Angeles Ram home game played in SoCal(Anaheim stadium) and just before their moving to St.Louis. It was against the Los Angeles(at the time) Raiders. And, I remember to this day how "ugly" the whole scene got.

For some reason the dunderheads in charge of security at Anaheim Stadium "didn't get the memo"...the memo that security was always tight at the L.A. Coliseum where the Raiders played their home games at the time, and by "tight" I mean that there was ALWAYS at least one or more security guards standing in front of each and every seating section at the Coliseum. And THAT was because Raider fans consisted of a LOT of "thugs".

Well, because the security presence was few and far between that day at Anaheim Stadium, during the football game I could see one fist fight break out after another in the stands the WHOLE game and ALL over the stands. In fact, one broke out just two rows above where I and my friends were seated and which resulted in a WOMAN being sent tumbling down the steps between the seating sections right past us. Calling it a "riot" would not be much of an overstatement.

I remember the Rams' nose tackle at the time, Kevin Greene, "going off" on a postgame TV show about how even the players on the field were shocked at what they saw happening in the stands, and saying something to the effect, "What?! It looks like I can't even bring my kids to watch me play football anymore?!"

And so, ever since that day, I have been a DEVOUT "antiRaider fan", and mostly because of that "Raider Thug" mentality.

(...and I've absolutely LOVED the thought that that team has been LOUSY for years and years now, and the whole idea that "being a tough guy", read: "dumb thug" and that wearing Raider Black and Silver is NOW associated with being a freakin' LOSER, because only the teams that play SMART football now days WIN...yep, the era of Kenny Stabler, Lyle Alzado and cheapshot artist Jack Tatum et al and Raider teams way back in the day which could play REALLY stupid football and yet still somehow pull off a win are now LONG gone!!!)

I've been away for many years, but still root for the Padres and Chargers.  Ages ago my girlfriends and I met a few Chargers at a nightclub and had great fun chatting with them before they had to leave for their curfew.  I remember we were amazed at the size of their arms, not to mention their overall immenseness!  

(...and I've absolutely LOVED the thought that that team has been LOUSY for years and years now, and the whole idea that "being a tough guy", read; "dumb thug" and that wearing Raider Black and Silver is NOW associated with being a freakin' LOSER, because only the teams that play SMART football now days WIN...yep, the era of Kenny Stabler, Lyle Alzado and cheapshot artist Jack Tatum et al and Raider teams way back in the day which could play REALLY stupid football and yet still somehow pull off a win are now LONG gone!!!)

That's scary.  It shouldn't be that way.  A couple years ago a Giants fan was severely beaten in the parking lot at a Dodgers game.  He has brain damage and will need care for the rest of his life.  At least they caught the bastards.

And only a couple weeks ago a man was beaten by thugs in a men's room at the new Levi (?) football stadium.  I'm stickin' to ice skating and chess.  

And that's because Raider fans are some of the most obnoxious to be found ANYWHERE. A short story to follow...

In 1994, I attended the very last Los Angeles Ram home game played in SoCal(Anaheim stadium) and just before their moving to St.Louis. It was against the Los Angeles(at the time) Raiders. And, I remember to this day how "ugly" the whole scene got.

For some reason the dunderheads in charge of security at Anaheim Stadium "didn't get the memo"...the memo that security was always tight at the L.A. Coliseum where the Raiders played their home games at the time, and by "tight" I mean that there was ALWAYS at least one or more security guards standing in front of each and every seating section at the Coliseum. And THAT was because Raider fans consisted of a LOT of "thugs".

Well, because the security presence was few and far between that day at Anaheim Stadium, during the football game I could see one fist fight break out after another in the stands the WHOLE game and ALL over the stands. In fact, one broke out just two rows above where I and my friends were seated and which resulted in a WOMAN being sent tumbling down the steps between the seating sections right past us. Calling it a "riot" would not be much of an overstatement.

I remember the Rams' nose tackle at the time, Kevin Greene, "going off" on a postgame TV show about how even the players on the field were shocked at what they saw happening in the stands, and saying something to the effect, "What?! It looks like I can't even bring my kids to watch me play football anymore?!"

And so, ever since that day, I have been a DEVOUT "antiRaider fan", and mostly because of that "Raider Thug" mentality.

(...and I've absolutely LOVED the thought that that team has been LOUSY for years and years now, and the whole idea that "being a tough guy", read: "dumb thug" and that wearing Raider Black and Silver is NOW associated with being a freakin' LOSER, because only the teams that play SMART football now days WIN...yep, the era of Kenny Stabler, Lyle Alzado and cheapshot artist Jack Tatum et al and Raider teams way back in the day which could play REALLY stupid football and yet still somehow pull off a win are now LONG gone!!!)

Thank you for your scintillating anti-Raider post. We would make you an honorary Charger booster but you might not like that either. Anyway, yes, great satisfaction in noting their demise the past 10 years but their comeback retort is always the same, "How many Rings you got, man?" An unhappy question as at last count the score was: Raiders 3, Chargers 0. Our repartee to that is a little hollow but it's all we got, "Well, whaddya done lately?"

And GayD, you wrote:

I've been away for many years, but still root for the Padres and Chargers.  Ages ago my girlfriends and I met a few Chargers at a nightclub and had great fun chatting with them before they had to leave for their curfew.  I remember we were amazed at the size of their arms, not to mention their overall immenseness!

And for that we thank you. We need all the help we can get. So far the Padres are 0-2 in World Series, and the Chargers are 0-1 in Super Bowls. In other woids, we ain't won nothin' (although the Chargers are known for their immense arms ;-) .

Actually many football fans (including me) are nostalgic about the days when the Raiders were good, and are sorry to see them so downtrodden., I am aware of their fans' reputation. The fans at the Eagles' games (or those at a number of other venues) will not remind anyone of Mother Theresa either.

Actually many football fans (including me) are nostalgic about the days when the Raiders were good, and are sorry to see them so downtrodden., I am aware of their fans' reputation. The fans at the Eagles' games (or those at a number of other venues) will not remind anyone of Mother Theresa either.

Yep, good point here, DGF.

(...and in FACT, I suppose the ONE thing one can say about Raider fans is that at least THEY never BOOED SANTA CLAUS, huh!!! LOL

• Like 1

Just before gametime, my prediction:

Whoever wins the first game will win the series, though not necessarily a sweep. This kind of prediction is cheating a little because if I am right I will have had the first game for free ... still, to be honest, this is the only prediction I am comfortable with. If SF wins the first game, the Team-Of-Destiny Angel might take flight and leave the Royals just another World Series participant. If KC wins the first game, that Angel just might lodge so firmly into the heart of all things Royals that they may simply not be denied the big prize.

If I am forced to go the conventional route, I will reluctantly advance the possibility that KC will win in six ... but my heart is not really into it. I have no idea. As we all know, baseball is immensely difficult to handicap.

If the first two games are split, we have a real horse race ... all bets are off and prepare yourself for a crapshoot.

Sez Laffite

And GayD, you wrote:

And for that we thank you. We need all the help we can get. So far the Padres are 0-2 in World Series, and the Chargers are 0-1 in Super Bowls. In other woids, we ain't won nothin' (although the Chargers are known for their immense arms ;-) .

I think I remember Kellen Winslow was one, and I've forgotten the other two.  I'm not a big football watcher, but followed them during the Coach Coryell (sp) years when Dan Fouts was the quarterback and Rolf Binershke (sp) was the kicker, with so many other great players.  

Just before gametime, my prediction:

Whoever wins the first game will win the series, though not necessarily a sweep. This kind of prediction is cheating a little because if I am right I will have had the first game for free ... still, to be honest, this is the only prediction I am comfortable with. If SF wins the first game, the Team-Of-Destiny Angel might take flight and leave the Royals just another World Series participant. If KC wins the first game, that Angel just might lodge so firmly into the heart of all things Royals that they may simply not be denied the big prize.

If I am forced to go the conventional route, I will reluctantly advance the possibility that KC will win in six ... but my heart is not really into it. I have no idea. As we all know, baseball is immensely difficult to handicap.

If the first two games are split, we have a real horse race ... all bets are off and prepare yourself for a crapshoot.

Sez Laffite

Well, I wasn't expecting that.  That sea of blue was intimidating at the start, but didn't seem to phase the Giants.  I predict the Royals will get it together for game two.

Well, I wasn't expecting that.  That sea of blue was intimidating at the start, but didn't seem to phase the Giants.  I predict the Royals will get it together for game two.

Shields, the KC starting pitcher, with more than respectable stats for the season, going 14-8 with a ERA of 3.21 just was off his game from the start and the tone was set. His pitches were all over the place and then he forced one in there and it was hit out and the score was 3-0. They never recovered. In the early going they had second and third with no out with a chance to get back into it but they did not score. The magic was not there. Good-bye winning streak, good bye game one of the WS. Now they have to do something they haven't been required to do so far. Shake of The Agony of Defeat and get back to winning. The honeymoon is over, time to play ball, the Angel of Destiny has abandoned them (for now, anyway). They can recover to be sure, it's only one game. Let's see if they do it.. Kudos to Giant pitcher Baumgartner, great job.

• Like 1

I think I remember Kellen Winslow was one, and I've forgotten the other two.  I'm not a big football watcher, but followed them during the Coach Coryell (sp) years when Dan Fouts was the quarterback and Rolf Binershke (sp) was the kicker, with so many other great players.  

The expression "Air Coryell" was used to describe this team's offense.

Shields, the KC starting pitcher, with more than respectable stats for the season, going 14-8 with a ERA of 3.21 just was off his game from the start and the tone was set. His pitches were all over the place and then he forced one in there and it was hit out and the score was 3-0. They never recovered. In the early going they had second and third with no out with a chance to get back into it but they did not score. The magic was not there. Good-bye winning streak, good bye game one of the WS. Now they have to do something they haven't been required to do so far. Shake of The Agony of Defeat and get back to winning. The honeymoon is over, time to play ball, the Angel of Destiny has abandoned them (for now, anyway). They can recover to be sure, it's only one game. Let's see if they do it.. Kudos to Giant pitcher Baumgartner, great job.

I could see this coming......It's funny that Tim Lincicum's name is never even mentioned. He pitched some great games this year, but was very inconsistent. I guess Bochy no longer has faith in him.