Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OL BUDDY JAKE, witheach passing day now I just don't see MLB, NFL, BOXING until next year

THESE IDIOTS WENT BACK TO THE BEACHES WEEKS TOO EARLY

AS YOU KNOW "THEMASSES OUR ****"

1 minute ago, JakeHolman said:

WOW!

3 minutes ago, spence said:

OL BUDDY JAKE, witheach passing day now I just don't see MLB, NFL, BOXING until next year

THESE IDIOTS WENT BACK TO THE BEACHES WEEKS TOO EARLY

AS YOU KNOW "THEMASSES OUR ****"

DITTO ...

On 6/23/2020 at 6:34 PM, spence said:

witheach passing day now I just don't see MLB, NFL, BOXING until next year

MLB has announced that a 60-game season will commence in about three weeks. With fans in the stands? Dunno. I am of two minds about this. Why not just do what others have done!. Give up for this season. Hey, MLB, it must be that you can make money with this, but why not sacrifice as others have done during this thing ...  for all of us. Yes? No?

///

With a 60-game schedule, Barry Bond's 73 homers (or was it 112) is safe. Oh wait, are they going to juice the ball. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised.

The NHL is going to start the playoffs from last season August 24. Yippee!

rcp-logo-ss-red-250.png

The NFL Is on the Brink

The National Football League celebrated its 100th anniversary last year. This should be a time of self-congratulation for the brutal sport, which has no similar counterpart outside the United States.

The NFL's megaprofits dwarf those of other professional sports in the U.S. The Super Bowl, not the World Series, is America's national sports event.

The league survived all sorts of crises in the past. It was one of the first professional sports to integrate its teams, doing so in the 1920s. But the integration unfortunately ceased, and the NFL didn't reintegrate until the mid-'40s, becoming one of the last sports leagues to embrace fully a racially blind meritocracy.

The NFL successfully absorbed the rival American Football league in 1966. So far the NFL has avoided federal safety regulations that could curb the incidence of physical trauma inherent in the sport.

The league's owners are a cross-section of America's most successful entrepreneurs and old-money families -- many of them politically well-connected.

Yet the NFL is in deep trouble like never before.

In 2016, San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick refused to stand for the national anthem. He claimed he was protesting the treatment of African Americans.

Kaepernick was an odd revolutionary. His mother is white, his father is an African American of Ghanaian-Nigerian ancestry, and he was raised by a middle-class white couple. Kaepernick's only prior controversy was being accused by another player of using the N-word. He denied it but was still fined by the league.

Kaepernick's rejection of "The Star-Spangled Banner" eventually spread throughout the NFL. Even though he was a backup quarterback, Kaepernick became a resistance idol. Soon he was a corporate ad man, pitching Nike sneakers.

Then game attendance fell. So did television viewership. Apparently, lots of fans had no desire to spend their Sundays watching 20-something multimillionaires lecture them that the American flag was not worth honoring.

In 2018, the league belatedly banned players from kneeling for the national anthem. By then, Kaepernick had left football and become a megaphone for even more corporate sponsors.

Now the NFL is in the news amid national protests and violence following the killing of George Floyd at the hands of police.

The inspirational song "Lift Every Voice and Sing" -- also known as the Black national anthem -- will be played before every game of the first week of the season. The league is considering letting players wear protest insignia on their helmets or jerseys. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell apologized to players for not listening to them about racism.

Yet the NFL capitulation poses fundamental problems for the league. It has now essentially green-lighted the sort of activism that in the last few years has been eating away its profits.

Racial issues are often virtue-signaled in the NFL -- but almost never in an honest way. New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees recently objected to players not honoring the flag. But he quickly caved when a media mob damned him. In contrast, Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson posted a series of anti-Semitic tweets last week, even falsely attributing a quote to Adolf Hitler. That disconnect posed a bizarre question for the NFL: Is it worse for a player to be pro-American flag or anti-Semitic?

NFL owners and head coaches are almost all white. But nearly three-quarters of the players are black. Those who play the game obviously want to see more diversity in coaching and ownership.

In a culture so obsessed with identity politics, is it the players or the owners and coaches (or both) who do not "look like America"?

Given that about 13 percent of the U.S. population is Black, and given that the Black Lives Matter movement embraces concepts like proportional representation, today's NFL teams hardly qualify as diverse. Social activists might argue that the league should mentor and recruit more Latinos, Asian Americans and Native Americans to better reflect their percentages of our diverse national population.

Perhaps an NFL compromise could ensure that 30 percent of coaches and owners are nonwhite, thus reflecting current U.S. demography. But then, in reciprocity, the players would match such mandatory demographic diversity -- leading to Native Americans, Latinos, Asians, whites and those of mixed ancestry accounting for 87 percent of the player population. The NBA might also take note.

This progressive model of proportional representation could also apply to overrepresented white athletes in hockey, tennis, golf and swimming -- sports faulted by identity politics groups as being unfairly overrepresented by whites.

Obviously, such racial gerrymandering will not happen because fans value meritocracy over ethnic affiliations.

Or at least they did.

If the multibillion-dollar NFL decides that multimillionaire players have no obligation to stand to honor a collective national anthem, and that there will be separate anthems and politicized uniforms, then millions of Americans will quietly shrug and change the channel.

And that silent protest will make the 2016-17 anthem protest look like child's play.

(C) 2020 TRIBUNE CONTENT AGENCY, LLC.

Victor Davis Hanson is the Martin and Illie Anderson Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution and the author, most recently, of The Case for Trump. You can reach him by e-mailing author@victorhanson.com.

The NFL will look like the NBA in that there will be few if any white players of any note in the very near future and the coaching ranks will not see too many white faces either. For me, stopped watching the NBA on a regular basis many years ago.

Next the NFL.

Once again I'LL say here that if ALL it takes for some fat-butted armchair football fans to deny themselves the opportunity to watch one of THE most exciting sports in all the world is SIMPLY because they got their little snowflake feelings hurt because of some players have used the pregame ritual of playing the National Anthem as an opportunity to PEACEFULLY protest what they feel has been this country's lack of living up to its stated ideals of equality for all, THEN said little freakin' fat-butted armchair snowflakes can go to hell!

(...as THIS football fan will STILL be watching the action taking place on the NFL gridiron each and every week anyway)

Basically, up here with Bills fans, people could care less about the peaceful protests as long as the team was on a winning streak.  Right now, in this New Era (purposefully capitalized) of naming rights to big corporations, since New Era just laid off a number of workers here and it was mutually decided that they agreed to relinquishing their name, there seems to be a contest on for what to call the stadium.  Local politician mentioned Veterans (but there may be problems as that was a stadium in Philly).  Oh for the days of Ebbets Field (sp?), The Polo Grounds, and Yankee Stadium.

Personally, I'm a huge tennis fan, but I hope Cuomo nixes the idea of holding the US Open (too many risks during the pandemic).

43 minutes ago, JakeHolman said:

The NFL will look like the NBA in that there will be few if any white players of any note in the very near future and the coaching ranks will not see too many white faces either. For me, stopped watching the NBA on a regular basis many years ago.

Next the NFL.

Well at least you openly state you don't like looking at those black folks!

You still have hockey!

Poll: Less Than 30 Percent Of Americans Say Redskins Should Change Their Name

Poll: Less Than 30 Percent Of Americans Say Redskins Should Change Their Name

JULY 18, 2020 By Paulina Enck

Nearly half of respondents of a national poll conducted by Morning Consult are just fine with the name of NFL team The Washington Redskins. The football team, which has been for years accused of racism against Native Americans despite polls finding Native American majorities support the name, has been slated for change to placate a small group of online leftist agitators.

However, it turns out that far more Americans believe the name ought to remain than those who prefer a more culturally sensitive name. According to the poll, 49 percent of respondents believe the Redskins should keep their nickname, with only 29 percent in favor of the upcoming change and 22 percent unsure.

Read >> https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/18/poll-less-than-30-percent-of-americans-say-redskins-should-change-their-name/

Copyright © 2020 The Federalist, a wholly independent division of FDRLST Media, All Rights Reserved.

Both games are on ESPN tonight. Kershaw not starting after all ; stiff back ; what's new.

10 minutes ago, laffite said:

Both games are on ESPN tonight. Kershaw not starting after all ; stiff back ; what's new.

Now,  now,,,,  don't tell me you're picking on Kershaw.      In the past you defended him against my attacks like he was your son!  

No ... I wasn't. It's just a fact about him. He prone to back injuries. Not picking, just disappointed.

Stanton a 2-run homer off Scherzer, 2-0 Nationals. Bottom of the first coming up.

Townhall

The Morning Briefing: COVID Is Going To Kill Sports Before Woke Hell Will

Face It, Sports Are Toast This for the Rest of the Year

A wonderful Tuesday to you, discerning readers of the Kruiser Morning Briefing.

We can file this under "Stories I Didn't Want to Write but We All Knew I Would Have To." In my role as Resident COVID Curmudgeon I have been throwing cold water on my sports fans friends and colleagues whenever they began looking forward to their favorite sport getting off to its weird COVID start. Sure, I'm kind of the jerk in most situations like that but I felt this one in my gut all along.

Actually, I was surprised that baseball got going at all, given what a dysfunctional mess the owners and the MLB players union are. Once they did come to an agreement I felt an hour or two of elation, then I began to be honest with myself about sports in the time of COVID.

Just ...

https://pjmedia.com/columns/stephen-kruiser/2020/07/28/the-morning-briefing-covid-is-going-to-kill-sports-before-woke-hell-will-n719203

OPINION

Image result for ny post

The total ‘woke’ conquest of the pro-sports world

July 27, 2020 | 8:29pm

Sam Coonrod shouldn’t be waiting for a call from Nike. Unlike former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, the pitcher for that city’s baseball Giants isn’t going to be rewarded for taking a lonely, principled stand.

Kaepernick received a multimillion-dollar endorsement contract from the sports-gear company for starting the trend of NFL players kneeling rather than standing at attention during the national anthem.

He landed more big bucks when the league settled a lawsuit with him because no team wanted him. He was a backup when he began his campaign, but due to the overwhelmingly positive coverage of his gesture — which he said was a protest against racism — he managed the kind of financial reward only a few stars get after they stop playing. Nike’s “Believe in something” marketing campaign transformed him into a cultural hero.

Meanwhile, Coonrod — the sole player on any team who didn’t kneel during a tribute to the Black Lives Matter movement before the playing of the anthem on Opening Day — also believes in something. But as far as many sports scribes and pundits are concerned, he doesn’t believe in the right things. He was mocked for having spoken of his Christian faith, his opposition to kneeling to anything but God and questioning BLM’s radical ideology.

Read More >> https://nypost.com/2020/07/27/the-total-woke-conquest-of-the-pro-sports-world/?utm_source=maropost&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nyp_postopinion&utm_content=20200728&tpcc=post_opinion&mpweb=755-9013646-720597128