Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The expression "Air Coryell" was used to describe this team's offense.

Yeah, but what a shame it was that Don Coryell apparently had NO friggin' clue about how to run a DEFENSE!

(...'cause with that spectacular Offense the Chargers had back then, IF they would have had even a SEMBLANCE of a Defense, they probably would have ended up with even MORE Super Bowl titles than EITHER the Raiders OR the Steelers would end up with) 

I predict the Royals will get it together for game two.

I am not usually drawn in to the whole "pro-sports" hoopla.. not against it.. just not "into it" much. But living here in KC does sort of put a spin on things for me.. at least now that things are at this level. Though I haven't watched the games, I have at least been following the news on them after the fact. It did sound like they had an off night.

My oldest stepson, however, is a huge fan. He and my youngest grandson have gone to Royals games quite regularly for years and they were actually there at the game last night. (though I am STILL waiting to hear the story of how they managed to score the tickets.. woo hoo) :)

Judging from the photos my stepson shared.. the score did not put a damper on their excitement to even just be there for the start of the Series. Will hope (if only for the sake of my two favorite Royals fans) that your prediction is right and tonight we see them make a comeback. 

Yeah, but what a shame it was that Don Coryell apparently had NO friggin' clue about how to run a DEFENSE!

(...'cause with that spectacular Offense the Chargers had back then, IF they would have had even a SEMBLANCE of a Defense, they probably would have ended up with even MORE Super Bowl titles than EITHER the Raiders OR the Steelers would end up with) 

Yes,  air Coryell also fits the defense.   When the pressure came the defense vanished into thin air!   

• Like 1

I'm not much for football.  Hockey is my game!

But that Wings/Canadiens game last night was a SHAM.  They disallowed a goal by Pavel Datsyuk due to "incidental contact" by a wings player and goalie price. 

But the replay clearly shows Price leaning to the right and forward to push Glendenning in the back as Pavel's backhand went in.  Clearly the "contact" was by the Montreal goalie, and NOT the wing's player.  It all goes back to what my DAD said 50 or so years ago after another game between Detroit and Montreal that Detroit lost.

"It's EASY to win when you use your own referees!"

Sepiatone

I could see this coming......It's funny that Tim Lincicum's name is never even mentioned. He pitched some great games this year, but was very inconsistent. I guess Bochy no longer has faith in him.

Do you mean the easy Giant win? I suspected it too, but with baseball as I have said before anything can be reasonably suspected with eventualities in baseball. This is why the baseball season is so long. They figure if they play enough games the best team will surely distinguish itself, although even after 162 games it often comes down to the wire. The Royals were 48-50 on July 21, a near two-thirds of the season having been played  but they finished 41-23 (a great percentage for baseball) and managed to gain a WC spot. This demonstrates that even after two-thirds the way through, the apparent value of KC as a team had not found expression. I believe I heard Joe Buck say during last night's broadcast that the Royals actually had the best record in the league after the all-star game. All of which may contribute to the idea that this is what makes baseball so interesting, you just never know. One team may be better on paper but it comes to playing the game on the field it's more like a crap shoot. To repeat the obvious, baseball games are difficult to handicap. Probably the best way to do it though is to have a look at the starting pitchers. That was certainly germane to Game One.

I respect Bochy's judgment, especially with his handling of pitchers, he seems almost infallible with his decision regarding pitching moves. He's probably right about Lin... (sp).

Do you mean the easy Giant win? I suspected it too, but with baseball as I have said before anything can be reasonably suspected with eventualities in baseball. This is why the baseball season is so long. They figure if they play enough games the best team will surely distinguish itself, although even after 162 games it often comes down to the wire. The Royals were 48-50 on July 21, a near two-thirds of the season having been played  but they finished 41-23 (a great percentage for baseball) and managed to gain a WC spot. This demonstrates that even after two-thirds the way through, the apparent value of KC as a team had not found expression. I believe I heard Joe Buck say during last night's broadcast that the Royals actually had the best record in the league after the all-star game. All of which may contribute to the idea that this is what makes baseball so interesting, you just never know. One team may be better on paper but it comes to playing the game on the field it's more like a crap shoot. To repeat the obvious, baseball games are difficult to handicap. Probably the best way to do it though is to have a look at the starting pitchers. That was certainly germane to Game One.

In the case of the Royals, the improvement is easy to explain because the mostly younger players are just being to reach their potential. Look out in the next couple years. The Giants, as I've said before, for whatever reason are built for the postseason. It's got to be mostly Bochy. 

The announcers were speculating that Lincecum might be used in the

eighth inning, when the Giants were ahead 7 to 0. If he started to get

into trouble he could be pulled out quickly, but he wasn't. So if he wasn't

used in that pretty safe situation, will he ever be used in the Series? There

was an article in the local paper saying the Bochy was still considering using

him, but who knows if that was just a little friendly bs.

In the last eleven World Series, the team that won the first game went

on to win ten of those Series. KC can still come back, but I'm leaning toward

the Giants.

Just think how good they'd be if they had Lincicum and Matt Cain in top from.

In the case of the Royals, the improvement is easy to explain because the mostly younger players are just being to reach their potential. Look out in the next couple years. The Giants, as I've said before, for whatever reason are built for the postseason. It's got to be mostly Bochy. 

I'm not comfortable with the phrase "...the mostly younger players are just being [sic] to reach their potential." Usually when phrases like that are used the time frame is greater, i.e., it usually takes a full season and usually more than one season to reach potential. It doesn't normally happen in the course of a single season and especially if you're talking about a number of players rather just one.. But certainly the explanation lies somewhere, the Royals started clicking.

I'm not comfortable with the phrase "...the mostly younger players are just being [sic] to reach their potential." Usually when phrases like that are used the time frame is greater, i.e., it usually takes a full season and usually more than one season to reach potential. It doesn't normally happen in the course of a single season and especially if you're talking about a number of players rather just one.. But certainly the explanation lies somewhere, the Royals started clicking.

About 3 years ago I read in a few places that the Royals had more talent in their farm system than any team in baseball.

I am not usually drawn in to the whole "pro-sports" hoopla.. not against it.. just not "into it" much. But living here in KC does sort of put a spin on things for me.. at least now that things are at this level. Though I haven't watched the games, I have at least been following the news on them after the fact. It did sound like they had an off night.

My oldest stepson, however, is a huge fan. He and my youngest grandson have gone to Royals games quite regularly for years and they were actually there at the game last night. (though I am STILL waiting to hear the story of how they managed to score the tickets.. woo hoo) :)

Judging from the photos my stepson shared.. the score did not put a damper on their excitement to even just be there for the start of the Series. Will hope (if only for the sake of my two favorite Royals fans) that your prediction is right and tonight we see them make a comeback. 

Well, they sure came back tonight--your stepson and grandson must be thrilled!    I hope they were able to get tickets for tonight's game as well.  It's especially nice when your team wins at home.  Kansas City must be abuzz!

Not as much fun for Giants fans, but we'll cope with it somehow.  :)  At least it won't be a sweep, and the rest of the games should be exciting.   Best of luck to both teams!

• Like 1

Indeed. Timmy got in tonight's game and pitched 1 2/3 innings with

no hits, but then he injured himself. That can't be good, especially

after the Giants' relievers blew up in the sixth. Back to SF with a split.

Time will tell.

Surprising that Bochy used him in that situation, especially if he had harbored doubts about him. Any seasoned baseball fan knows that Bochy was not conceding the game by using someone he might not have been sure of. No manager thinks a five-run deficit hopeless, even with only two innings left. He had a rested bull pen because Baumgartner took care of things the game before and there is another day of rest tomorrow so he could have used someone he might have had more confidence in. It was imperative that KC not be allowed any more runs, so I am surprised he put him in there. Bochy is hard to second guess though, he is one of the best.

As one of the TV announcers said, I too am looking for a "long" series, at least six and maybe even seven. I hardly have a horse in this race, so the longer the better. I want to see good "old-fashion country baseball" as Dizzy Dean has said many time in those days of yore.

I don't think Bochy exactly conceded the game, but being five runs down

against those KC relievers maybe he felt why not take a chance, especially

after that sixth inning disaster. And if Lincecum started to get into the least

amount of trouble, he could lift him right away. And he did pitch very well,

getting out five batters before his injury.

Yes, it could go six or seven games, with the deciding game back in KC.

That would be fun to watch. I'm still leaning a bit toward the Giants, but

it doesn't matter all that much to me which team wins.

With respect, Vautrin, why take a chance at all, you've got plenty of pitchers in the bull pen. If Bochy has doubts in Linceum (we don't really know for sure, perhaps) he ought not put him in there in this situation. Behind by 10 runs, okay, take a look at him and see how he does ... but not five runs, managers don't think that five runs is insurmountable, even at that late stage in the game. I remain surprised that Bochy would take an unnecessary chance.

With respect, Vautrin, why take a chance at all, you've got plenty of pitchers in the bull pen. If Bochy has doubts in Linceum (we don't really know for sure, perhaps) he ought not put him in there in this situation. Behind by 10 runs, okay, take a look at him and see how he does ... but not five runs, managers don't think that five runs is insurmountable, even at that late stage in the game. I remain surprised that Bochy would take an unnecessary chance.

I'm more surprised that Bochy put Strickland in. He's been getting hammered regularly.

I was also surprised that Bochy put Lincecum in and of course he has a lot more at stake than

I do. I believe one of the announcers speculated that after that awful sixth inning he might have

wanted to see what Lincecum had just in case he was needed in the future as the others didn't

look too good in that sixth inning. Now that he has hurt his lower back, that option might be gone.

What is Matt Cain's current situation? They never even mention him.

I was also surprised that Bochy put Lincecum in and of course he has a lot more at stake than

I do. I believe one of the announcers speculated that after that awful sixth inning he might have

wanted to see what Lincecum had just in case he was needed in the future as the others didn't

look too good in that sixth inning. Now that he has hurt his lower back, that option might be gone.

I just read that Lincicum WILL be available for game 3.

I don't follow baseball that closely anymore, so I did a quick web search.

Cain has been out since July. He had some kind of serious injury and

underwent surgery, so he's definitely out for the post season.

I guess Lincecum's back problem wasn't that serious if he's a possibility

for tonight. Old man Tim Hudson will be the starter. I will try not to hold

his past as a Brave against him.  :)

This Royals team is good in every facet of the game.

Yikes!  That was one hell of a game.  Not to mention what a treat to hear Carlos Santana play the Star Spangled Banner.

Well, on to game five!

I'm sure some Royal fans were already celebrating before the Giants stormed back.    Today's game should be a good one.

Yikes!  That was one hell of a game.  Not to mention what a treat to hear Carlos Santana play the Star Spangled Banner.

Well, on to game five!

Certainly better than some of the lame 13-year old local singers that are typically given that "honor".

• Like 1

Yep, the Giants really laid down the law last night. Ouch.

I almost didn't watch the Steelers-Colts game because I

figured the Colts would win big, but Big Ben came through

51-34. But those throw up bumble bee/prison stripes unis

are still awful.

Yeah? That's what scared the Colts into submission.

Ouch, that hurt! Even I thought the Colts would win big time but then a game is a game and you never know whose day it ultimately turns out to be.

By the way, talking about sports, do you know of any good baseball/football games for kids that can be played online? My son is a big NFL fan and has been playing this Heroes & Rivals game which he discovered recently.. So I was wondering if there were any such similar games or apps which I could introduce him to... Thanks anyways!

Looking forward to the Royals/Giants tonight and the Broncos/Patriots next Sunday.  GO ROYALS AND GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Also my Nebraska Cornhuskers versus the Purdue Boilermakers next Saturday.  GO HUSKERS!!  GO BIG RED!!   Autumn is such a great sports season.  Watching sports is the one thing that can take me away from watching TCM but I usually flick over to TCM rather than watch commercials during the game breaks which drives my wife absolutely nuts unless she is winning the war for the remote. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Royals/Giants tonight and the Broncos/Patriots next Sunday.  GO ROYALS AND GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Also my Nebraska Cornhuskers versus the Purdue Boilermakers next Saturday.  GO HUSKERS!!  GO BIG RED!!   Autumn is such a great sports season.  Watching sports is the one thing that can take me away from watching TCM but I usually flick over to TCM rather than watch commercials during the game breaks which drives my wife absolutely nuts unless she is winning the war for the remote. 

I love this time of year too--great for football!  To get into the mood, I found a website called www.fightmusic.com.  You can listen to school songs from many colleges around the country.  If you listen to UTEP's fight song, it should sound familiar.  Marty Robbins would be proud!

• Like 1