Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Patrons in sports bars will talk about this for a long time...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/royals-explain-why-didnt-inside-134933336.html

The Royals were on the grand stage because of their daring and audacity. He should have been

waived on and expected a great relay throw to get him out.

We will never know...

The Royals were on the grand stage because of their daring and audacity. He should have been

waived on and expected a great relay throw to get him out.

We will never know...

Yes Gordon should have been waived on or simply blown on by the 3rd base coach.  I thought so at the time and I still deeply regret Gordon not having gone on.  It would have taken an utterly perfect throw but we are talking about the single chance the Royals had against MadBum who was simply lights out in three games in the Series.  Yes, "We will never know......."

Yes Gordon should have been waived on or simply blown on by the 3rd base coach.  I thought so at the time and I still deeply regret Gordon not having gone on.  It would have taken an utterly perfect throw but we are talking about the single chance the Royals had against MadBum who was simply lights out in three games in the Series.  Yes, "We will never know......."

Tim Kurkjian and other knowledgeable baseball people said that if the play had gone normally from the point in time at which he took off for the plate, he would have been out by, like, 50 feet. That would have been an embarrassing way to end the series.

CBS Sunday Morning payed tribute to cheerleaders today.  On November 2, 1898 the first person to lead cheers at a football game was a guy at the University of Minnesota.  Notable people who were also cheerleaders in high school or college:  Dwight Eisenhower, Meryl Streep, George W. Bush, Ruth Bader-Ginsburg, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Madonna!  Quite a collection there!

CBS Sunday Morning payed tribute to cheerleaders today.  On November 2, 1898 the first person to lead cheers at a football game was a guy at the University of Minnesota.  Notable people who were also cheerleaders in high school or college:  Dwight Eisenhower, Meryl Streep, George W. Bush, Ruth Bader-Ginsburg, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Madonna!  Quite a collection there!

Well, Madonna is the least surprising of the list.

• 2 weeks later...

Per Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues"---------"They've got a name for the winners of the world.........They call Alabama the Crimson Tide"

Most folks don't remember Bear Bryant's Alabama teams had a string of more than a few losses in Bowl games and there were some who were calling for the unthinkable firing of the legendary coach. Bear was an innovator and got with his good friend Darrell Royal the Texas head coach who was winning games and championships running the Wishbone offense who showed the Bear how to do it. Bear took it and went on to dominate the SEC and win a few more National Championships.

Alabama will beat MSU this Saturday in a close one and stay in the hunt for another National Championship. .

Heads up: the big game is today with Mississippi State going to Tuscaloosa, AL to play Alabama in a game with huge implications. Time 3:30PM EST on CBS.

Believe Bama will beat them with its better depth and skilled players on the defense, plus they have home field. The latest Vegas line has Bama as a 7 to 10 points favorite. 

Roll Tide...

Heads up: the big game is today with Mississippi State going to Tuscaloosa, AL to play Alabama in a game with huge implications. Time 3:30PM EST on CBS.

Believe Bama will beat them with its better depth and skilled players on the defense, plus they have home field. The latest Vegas line has Bama as a 7 to 10 points favorite. 

Roll Tide...

Well, the Tide won, but did not cover.  Biggest loser Saturday was Arizona State which got ambushed in Corvallis.  With plenty of big games left on the schedule prior to the announcement of the four playoff teams, it should be fun to listen to all the politicking and crying and catterwalling people will do to make sure their favorite team doesn't get rooked out of a title shot.  Whichever of the Power 5 conferences gets excluded from the playoff mix, expect to hear cries of "we need 8 teams for the playoffs instead of 4"!

Well, the Tide won, but did not cover.  Biggest loser Saturday was Arizona State which got ambushed in Corvallis.  With plenty of big games left on the schedule prior to the announcement of the four playoff teams, it should be fun to listen to all the politicking and crying and catterwalling people will do to make sure their favorite team doesn't get rooked out of a title shot.  Whichever of the Power 5 conferences gets excluded from the playoff mix, expect to hear cries of "we need 8 teams for the playoffs instead of 4"!

My current top 4:

1---Alabama  2---Oregon   3---Florida Sate    4---Mississippi State

I told everone that hated the BCS that a 4 team playoff wouldn't 'fix' any of the so called 'issues' with the BCS.  In fact there would just be more dispute.   e.g.  No loss teams because they choose to play a weak schedule.   Team moving from conference to conference to ensure a weaker schedule. 

Of course an 8 team playoff would address the issues better than a 4 team playoff,  but only to a limited degree.

Since I find all the politics and crying entertaining and don't see it as an issue (i.e. there is no 'real' or 'true' champ anyway),   I'm fine with a 4 team playoff.   

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to today's big Patriots/Packers game.  Should be a good one at Lambeau plus a cold one with the temperatures below freezing and dropping throughout the game.  Got my Packers jacket on!!!  Later I will watch Denver/KC and root for the Broncos.  After that I hope I can stay awake and watch "Mare Nostrum" (1926) which I have never seen.

Looking forward to today's big Patriots/Packers game.  Should be a good one at Lambeau plus a cold one with the temperatures below freezing and dropping throughout the game.  Got my Packers jacket on!!!  Later I will watch Denver/KC and root for the Broncos.  After that I hope I can stay awake and watch "Mare Nostrum" (1926) which I have never seen.

Don't forget to take off your Packers jacket and put on your Broncos jacket. You can't watch the game without an appropriate jacket.

• Like 1

Alabama beats its arch rival Auburn in a shoot out. Number One. The Saints go to Pittsburgh and win

a must game against the Steelers on the road. They still have a chance to turn their season around.

Good weekend...

The Packers won!!  The Packers won!!  The Packers won!!  YEA BABY!!!

What makes their victory even better is that they beat the Patriots.  I loved seeing Tom Brady yelling expletives on the sideline after the Packers got the first down that sealed their victory.  

What I can't stand about the Patriots is that they walk into every game with their victory being a given.  Then if they lose, they act as if there was some sort of conspiracy or outside force that prevented them from winning. 

I was so happy that my beloved Oregon Ducks beat Oregon State. It was kind of a given that OSU would lose, because they're terrible; but they did beat Arizona State; so they had a chance.

Next weekend, Oregon playing Arizona in the Pac-12 championship.  Arizona is the team that dealt Oregon their only loss of the season.  It should be a great game and a great chance for Oregon to avenge their loss.

Alabama won, Oregon won, Florida State won, and Mississippi State lost. 

Have they released the new playoff rankings?

What makes their victory even better is that they beat the Patriots.  I loved seeing Tom Brady yelling expletives on the sideline after the Packers got the first down that sealed their victory.  

What I can't stand about the Patriots is that they walk into every game with their victory being a given.  Then if they lose, they act as if there was some sort of conspiracy or outside force that prevented them from winning. 

For some reason, the fact that the Broncos beat the Chiefs last might didn't rate the slightest mention on this morning's Mike & Mike  on ESPN 2.

For some reason, the fact that the Broncos beat the Chiefs last might didn't rate the slightest mention on this morning's Mike & Mike  on ESPN 2.

The Broncos/Chiefs just wasn't the Jean Harlow-SEXY game of the week or even season that the the Brady-led Patriots versus the Rodgers-led Packers was.  Still I watched the Broncos win in a run dominated fashion that pleased me. 

The Broncos/Chiefs just wasn't the Jean Harlow-SEXY game of the week or even season that the the Brady-led Patriots versus the Rodgers-led Packers was.  Still I watched the Broncos win in a run dominated fashion that pleased me. 

The best game of the week was the Chargers \ Raven game.   

Not bad.  I watched part of the 2nd half.  Blasted Chargers lucked out.

While I didn't want the Chargers to win I wouldn't say they lucked out.   Instead the Raven messed up by not getting a touchdown and instead a field goal therefore keeping the Chargers only one touchdown from victory. 

As for the Broncos;  It is good for them that they are getting a running game because their passing game isn't as solid as it was last year.   Manning has lost just a little bit and that might just be enough to keep the Broncos out of the SB unless they can run the ball well.