Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

While I didn't want the Chargers to win I wouldn't say they lucked out.   Instead the Raven messed up by not getting a touchtown and instead a field goal therefore keeping the Chargers only one touchtown from victory. 

As for the Broncos;  It is good for them that they are getting a running game because their passing game isn't as solid as it was last year.   Manning has lost just a little bit and that might just be enough to keep the Broncos out of the SB unless they can run the ball well.  

Next week the Chargers host the Patriots. Brady is great in bad weather. See how good he is in nice weather.

Next week the Chargers host the Patriots. Brady is great in bad weather. See how good he is in nice weather.

I don't think the Chargers are that good but they have been able to win games.   The Chargers from a few years back were a lot better team but found a way to lose games!     I wonder what the line will be on this game.    I say NE by 4.

I don't think the Chargers are that good but they have been able to win games.   The Chargers from a few years back were a lot better team but found a way to lose games!     I wonder what the line will be on this game.    I say NE by 4.

I don't bet on games, but I'll make a bet on what the line will be.

Go Brady!  Go Patriots!  Stomp the SD Chiggers!  That will help my Broncos who need all the help they can get since Manning is starting to show his age especially his arm.  Manning's legs and feet were born elderly so if his arm falters he is in a world of hurt.  The Broncos looked excellent in their running game on Sunday.  Their line blocked well and using 6 lineman was interesting.  The Pats are the best in the AFC however so no matter what my Broncos do they ain't going back to the Super Bowl.  We Colorado folks are still smarting from the b*tt kicking the Broncos received in the last one.

Go Brady!  Go Patriots!  Stomp the SD Chiggers!  That will help my Broncos who need all the help they can get since Manning is starting to show his age especially his arm.  Manning's legs and feet were born elderly so if his arm falters he is in a world of hurt.  The Broncos looked excellent in their running game on Sunday.  Their line blocked well and using 6 lineman was interesting.  The Pats are the best in the AFC however so no matter what my Broncos do they ain't going back to the Super Bowl.  We Colorado folks are still smarting from the b*tt kicking the Broncos received in the last one.

Go Bolts! One of my favorite teams, because I've always liked their uniforms.

A good college football weekend coming up.  PAC 10 championship game on Friday night with other excellent conference championship match-ups on Saturday plus K-State/Baylor and Okie State/Okie U. as well.  College football: my favorite sport!!  GBR !!! which means Go Big Red as I am a diehard Husker fan.  PS: My Huskers just hired a new head coach today.  The interesting choice is Mike Riley from Oregon State.  Florida just hired Colorado State's head coach which is bad news for Colorado State and us Coloradoans.

• Like 1

A good college football weekend coming up.  PAC 10 championship game on Friday night with other excellent conference championship match-ups on Saturday plus K-State/Baylor and Okie State/Okie U. as well.  College football: my favorite sport!!  GBR !!! which means Go Big Red as I am a diehard Husker fan.  PS: My Huskers just hired a new head coach today.  The interesting choice is Mike Riley from Oregon State.  Florida just hired Colorado State's head coach which is bad news for Colorado State and us Coloradoans.

Rover, how you possibly miss mentioning the biggie in the MAC tonight (NIU vs. Bowling Green)...hahaha!  The underdog-loving, chaos-creating fan in me is pulling for a bevy of upsets (Missouri over Alabama, Georgia Tech over Florida State, Kansas State over Baylor, Arizona over Oregon, Iowa State over TCU, and Wisconsin over Ohio State).  Of course, now that I've said it...none of it will happen!

Some interesting discussion was taking place on the CBS Sports site about the hiring of Mike Riley at Nebraska.  One person said Riley and Pete Carroll (when he was at USC), always seemed to be at the same high school games scouting talent, according to Pete Carroll.  They'd always point at each other and laugh about it in the stands.  Another poster said when he was a USC assistant to John Robinson, Riley implored him to offer a scholarship to some hot-shot QB out of the Bay Area.  Robinson wouldn't budge.  The player turned out to be Tom Brady!

Too bad places like Colorado State are considered "stop-overs" for college sports rather than "destination jobs".  For many years, Ft. Collins has been deemed one of America's most livable cities for people of all ages.  Maybe it came down to which kind of skiing McElwain preferred...water or snow?

• Like 1

Rover, how you possibly miss mentioning the biggie in the MAC tonight (NIU vs. Bowling Green)...hahaha!  The underdog-loving, chaos-creating fan in me is pulling for a bevy of upsets (Missouri over Alabama, Georgia Tech over Florida State, Kansas State over Baylor, Arizona over Oregon, Iowa State over TCU, and Wisconsin over Ohio State).  Of course, now that I've said it...none of it will happen!

Some interesting discussion was taking place on the CBS Sports site about the hiring of Mike Riley at Nebraska.  One person said Riley and Pete Carroll (when he was at USC), always seemed to be at the same high school games scouting talent, according to Pete Carroll.  They'd always point at each other and laugh about it in the stands.  Another poster said when he was a USC assistant to John Robinson, Riley implored him to offer a scholarship to some hot-shot QB out of the Bay Area.  Robinson wouldn't budge.  The player turned out to be Tom Brady!

Too bad places like Colorado State are considered "stop-overs" for college sports rather than "destination jobs".  For many years, Ft. Collins has been deemed one of America's most livable cities for people of all ages.  Maybe it came down to which kind of skiing McElwain preferred...water or snow?

I think his primary preference is national championships. Florida should be killing Florida State.

My beloved Oregon Ducks beat Arizona 51-13.  They successfully avenged the team that handed them their only loss of the season. 

Riley being hired by Nebraska was interesting.  Hopefully he has better luck there.  The Oregon State Beavers have definitely had their ups and downs while he was coach.  I just found out that he used to coach the San Diego Chargers from 1999-2001-- I didn't know that.

My beloved Oregon Ducks beat Arizona 51-13.  They successfully avenged the team that handed them their only loss of the season. 

Riley being hired by Nebraska was interesting.  Hopefully he has better luck there.  The Oregon State Beavers have definitely had their ups and downs while he was coach.  I just found out that he used to coach the San Diego Chargers from 1999-2001-- I didn't know that.

I was sad to see the Quackers whoop on the poor little Wildkittens.  Not much of a competitive game from the get go. The game bored me quickly.  I attended and received a degree from Oregon State many many moons ago and from that point on just can never bring myself to root for the Eugenites whom have more uniform combos and "looks" than most women have outfits and shoes.  As a loyal and born and bred Huskerite I find the Riley head coach hire most interesting and am rather speechless.  Here's wishing the new Nebraska Head Coach well in his new pressure cooker of a job.  I think his many years of experience and the fact that he is an anti-Pelini in temperament will serve him well both in recruiting and in motivating the Husker team.  Let's hope today's conference championships are more exciting than the totally one-sided (unexpected by myself) pac 12 game was.  At least it was raining during last night's contest as California desperately needs it.

I'm hoping the Ducks play Florida State and beat them by over 30 points!     As for Riley,  many felt he was the next big thing back in the late 90s so the NFL took him.  Like Pete Carrol the first time Riley didn't do well in the NFL,  so he went back to coach college.

But unlike Carrol Riley didn't do great after coming back.   He has to make it big at Nebraska or his light will dim completely.

I'm hoping the Ducks play Florida State and beat them by over 30 points!     As for Riley,  many felt he was the next big thing back in the late 90s so the NFL took him.  Like Pete Carrol the first time Riley didn't do well in the NFL,  so he went back to coach college.

But unlike Carrol Riley didn't do great after coming back.   He has to make it big at Nebraska or his light will dim completely.

It was very difficult for Oregon State to recruit against the other PAC-10 schools, especially Oregon. His lack of success had little to do with his ability. Knute Rockne couldn't have made Oregon State a winner.

It was very difficult for Oregon State to recruit against the other PAC-10 schools, especially Oregon. His lack of success had little to do with his ability. Knute Rockne couldn't have made Oregon State a winner.

His lack of success had little to do with his ability:

Isn't that what all losers say?     Just joking (well to a degree).  You may have a valid point but to me he doesn't have a long enough record at any team (pro or college), to really judge.   BUT his teams do enough just at the right time to allow him to get big contracts.    So I still say teams are signing him for his potential instead of his actual track record, but this Nebraska deal is the last time he can get away with that.

His lack of success had little to do with his ability:

Isn't that what all losers say?     Just joking (well to a degree).  You may have a valid point but to me he doesn't have a long enough record at any team (pro or college), to really judge.   BUT his teams do enough just at the right time to allow him to get big contracts.    So I still say teams are signing him for his potential instead of his actual track record, but this Nebraska deal is the last time he can get away with that.

As a long and loyal Nebraska football fanatic, I sincerely hope, wish, pray, cross-my-fingers you are 110% wrong.  My opinion is that he may very well turn out to be a Husker "Bill Snyder".  Time, time, time will tell.  Hope springs eternal for football fanatics of each university.

As a long and loyal Nebraska football fanatic, I sincerely hope, wish, pray, cross-my-fingers you are 110% wrong.  My opinion is that he may very well turn out to be a Husker "Bill Snyder".  Time, time, time will tell.  Hope springs eternal for football fanatics of each university.

What was I wrong about?????   I didn't say Riley wouldn't do good at Nebraska.   I said I don't know how one can judge his ability based on his track record.    So you could be right that he ends up leading Nebraska to the promised land.   I never said that he wouldn't.    I guess that is a nuanced point you can't understand.

Isn't that what all losers say?     Just joking (well to a degree).   So I still say teams are signing him for his potential instead of his actual track record, but this Nebraska deal is the last time he can get away with that.

If you aren't calling Riley a "loser" then what are you trying to say?  You also say that this "Nebraska deal is the last time he can get away with"  just showing some "potential" over his career.  Yours was and is a very negative post regarding Riley.  I don't know how Riley will do about taking the Huskers back to GLORY but I don't regard him as a "loser" in any way and so I say I am very very hopeful that your negative appraisal (it certainly reads negatively) will be wrong.  Riley is the 180 degree anti-Pelini in most ways and that makes the choice of Riley very interesting. 

If you aren't calling Riley a "loser" then what are you trying to say?  You also say that this "Nebraska deal is the last time he can get away with"  just showing some "potential" over his career.  Yours was and is a very negative post regarding Riley.  I don't know how Riley will do about taking the Huskers back to GLORY but I don't regard him as a "loser" in any way and so I say I am very very hopeful that your negative appraisal (it certainly reads negatively) will be wrong.  Riley is the 180 degree anti-Pelini in most ways and that makes the choice of Riley very interesting. 

Didn't you see the sentence right after that:  JUST JOKING.    You do know what a joke is,  right?    OK,  I did add 'to a degree', that was because I don't know how to rate Riley for the reasons I have already stated.

Man,  is Riley your son?  You sure feel like you need to defend him.   My point was solid;  Riley gets hired at major programs (as well as his SD pro gig) based more on his potential then his record.      

JUST JOKING,  means, well,  just joking!!!!

Of course the choice of hiring Riley is very interesting.  It always is because the guy does have a lot of potential.   When Carroll left USC I was really hoping they would hire Riley.  (I was farily sure Kifin would fail since I never saw much potential in him).

I stand by my point that if Riley doesn't bring back Nebraska as a top 10 or so team in the next few years he will no longer be able to get choice jobs based on 'this guy has a lot of potential' .

I hope we have a common understanding now.   

Didn't you see the sentence right after that:  JUST JOKING.    You do know what a joke is,  right?    OK,  I did add 'to a degree', that was because I don't know how to rate Riley for the reasons I have already stated.

Man,  is Riley your son?  You sure feel like you need to defend him.   My point was solid;  Riley gets hired at major programs (as well as his SD pro gig) based more on his potential then his record.      

JUST JOKING,  means, well,  just joking!!!!

Of course the choice of hiring Riley is very interesting.  It always is because the guy does have a lot of potential.   When Carroll left USC I was really hoping they would hire Riley.  (I was farily sure Kifin would fail since I never saw much potential in him).

I stand by my point that if Riley doesn't bring back Nebraska as a top 10 or so team in the next few years he will no longer be able to get choice jobs based on 'this guy has a lot of potential' .

I hope we have a common understanding now.   

We have.

Well, my football wishes and desires have turned to total crap!  Georgia Tech is the only underdog winning in the big games today.  I think TCU secured its spot in the Final 4 with its impressive win over hapless Iowa State.  Question now becomes, who also gets in if Florida State were to lose...Baylor or Ohio State?  I'd have to give the nod to Baylor based on the fact that they did beat TCU, and their only loss would be on the road to a team that I think is better than the team that beat Ohio State in Columbus (West Virginia and Virginia Tech, respectively).

I was sad to see the Quackers whoop on the poor little Wildkittens.  Not much of a competitive game from the get go. The game bored me quickly.  I attended and received a degree from Oregon State many many moons ago and from that point on just can never bring myself to root for the Eugenites whom have more uniform combos and "looks" than most women have outfits and shoes.  As a loyal and born and bred Huskerite I find the Riley head coach hire most interesting and am rather speechless.  Here's wishing the new Nebraska Head Coach well in his new pressure cooker of a job.  I think his many years of experience and the fact that he is an anti-Pelini in temperament will serve him well both in recruiting and in motivating the Husker team.  Let's hope today's conference championships are more exciting than the totally one-sided (unexpected by myself) pac 12 game was.  At least it was raining during last night's contest as California desperately needs it.

Well in the Ducks' defense, they actually wore the same uniform pretty much two games in a row and the uniforms are actually the UO's actual school colors-- green and yellow.  I agree that some of their uniform combos are pretty heinous. I've always been a loyal Duck.  As a native Oregonian, I will root for the Beavers if they're playing other teams; but if they're playing against my beloved Ducks in the annual Civil War game, then I'll always root for the "Eugeneites."  Eugene, in my opinion, is a much more interesting town than Corvallis.  Corvallis is dull.  Eugene is pretty wacky and unique-- I like that.  I hope Riley finds success.  It'll be interesting to see what his successor does at OSU.  They'll be pretty much a new team next year, nine seniors, including the Quarterback and some other major players are graduating this year.  It'll also be interesting what happens to Oregon.  Mariota is graduating and entering the NFL draft next year.  They're saying Mariota is a front runner for the Heisman--if he wins, hopefully the curse doesn't get him.  I'm curious who will draft him next year.  Maybe the Raiders will get him.  They need all the help they can get.  Though, when Chip Kelly left Oregon to coach the Eagles, everyone was predicting that the Ducks might suffer, but they pretty much have been the same team.  They've really become a formidable force in NCAA Football.

I agree that the game last night was dull.  I watched the Astaire marathon on TCM instead. 

• Like 1

I sure did not see Ohio State's nuclear toasting and roasting of the Badgers coming.  Was thinking it would be a close competitive game especially with the inexperienced QB playing for OSU.  While I am not surprised the Buck-i's won (way more talent than anyone else in the BIG), the Badgers laid a big big egg of a burnt omelet.  Perhaps Ohio State is far better than many of us especially myself gave them credit for being.  An impressive performance indeed!!  I am most happy not to be on the Selection Committee.  Tough choices to be made.  Very tough.

I don't like the Selection Committee. It's no better than the other systems. Politics and personal baggage

brought into the process. Still will have some yelling to the top of their lungs we were robbed. 

For me, bring back the old days. AP & Coaches polls with an emphasis on the big bowls. Remember

Alabama playing Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl, Ohio State playing USC in the Rose Bowl & Nebraska

playing Miami in the Orange Bowl all playing for the National Championship. The Bowl games were

huge with drama and an ending after New Years. Liked it much better. Tally the votes and you have

the winner. Sometimes controversy with a tie and others yelling we were robbed. Just like this year.

Looks like the selections have been made. #1 Alabama will take on #4 Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. #2 Oregon will take on #3 Florida State in the Rose Bowl. Both games are scheduled to be played on Jan 1. The winners of these games will play in the National Championship on Jan 12.

Go Ducks!!!