Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looks like the selections have been made. #1 Alabama will take on #4 Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. #2 Oregon will take on #3 Florida State in the Rose Bowl. Both games are scheduled to be played on Jan 1. The winners of these games will play in the National Championship on Jan 12.

Go Ducks!!!

Ohio State's blowout of Wisconsin took the selection committee off the hook of trying to choose between TCU and Baylor.

• Like 1

I was sad to see the Quackers whoop on the poor little Wildkittens.  Not much of a competitive game from the get go. The game bored me quickly.  I attended and received a degree from Oregon State many many moons ago and from that point on just can never bring myself to root for the Eugenites whom have more uniform combos and "looks" than most women have outfits and shoes.  As a loyal and born and bred Huskerite I find the Riley head coach hire most interesting and am rather speechless.  Here's wishing the new Nebraska Head Coach well in his new pressure cooker of a job.  I think his many years of experience and the fact that he is an anti-Pelini in temperament will serve him well both in recruiting and in motivating the Husker team.  Let's hope today's conference championships are more exciting than the totally one-sided (unexpected by myself) pac 12 game was.  At least it was raining during last night's contest as California desperately needs it.

The "Quackers". Not to be confused with my Penn Quakers.

The "Quackers". Not to be confused with my Penn Quakers.

And based on their recent history, Pennsylvania had a really bad year.  I'm also shocked at how far their men's basketball program has fallen off the map the past few years.

I don't like the Selection Committee. It's no better than the other systems. Politics and personal baggage

brought into the process. Still will have some yelling to the top of their lungs we were robbed. 

For me, bring back the old days. AP & Coaches polls with an emphasis on the big bowls. Remember

Alabama playing Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl, Ohio State playing USC in the Rose Bowl & Nebraska

playing Miami in the Orange Bowl all playing for the National Championship. The Bowl games were

huge with drama and an ending after New Years. Liked it much better. Tally the votes and you have

the winner. Sometimes controversy with a tie and others yelling we were robbed. Just like this year.

I remember that classic game between the Tide and Irish in 1973?  It was played on New Year's Eve, and I think it was the last Sugar Bowl played at Tulane Stadium before the game was moved to the Louisiana Superdome.  Alabama missed an extra point after it took a 23-21 lead, then Bob Thomas kicked the game-winner early in the 4th quarter to provide Notre Dame with a 1-point lead.  The rest of the game was a tense affair with great plays and missed opportunities by both teams on both sides of the ball.  Bob Thomas was a placekicker for the Chicago Bears in the mid to late 70's.  While playing in the NFL, he pursued a law degree, like Alan Marshall had done when he played for the Minnesota Vikings.  Thomas ultimately rose through the ranks and eventually became a justice on the Illinois Supreme Court.

Not only do I lament the more definitive nature of choosing a football champion in the college ranks, but I absolutely hate the overtime rule.  If you can't settle a game after 60 minutes of competition, why not call it a day?  Soccer is the only sport I can think of that allows for ties at the end of regulation.

I remember that classic game between the Tide and Irish in 1973?  It was played on New Year's Eve, and I think it was the last Sugar Bowl played at Tulane Stadium before the game was moved to the Louisiana Superdome.  Alabama missed an extra point after it took a 23-21 lead, then Bob Thomas kicked the game-winner early in the 4th quarter to provide Notre Dame with a 1-point lead.  The rest of the game was a tense affair with great plays and missed opportunities by both teams on both sides of the ball.  Bob Thomas was a placekicker for the Chicago Bears in the mid to late 70's.  While playing in the NFL, he pursued a law degree, like Alan Marshall had done when he played for the Minnesota Vikings.  Thomas ultimately rose through the ranks and eventually became a justice on the Illinois Supreme Court.

Not only do I lament the more definitive nature of choosing a football champion in the college ranks, but I absolutely hate the overtime rule.  If you can't settle a game after 60 minutes of competition, why not call it a day?  Soccer is the only sport I can think of that allows for ties at the end of regulation.

It was Alan Page, not Alan Marshall, whoever that is.

It was Alan Page, not Alan Marshall, whoever that is.

Ummm....I think it was Jim Marshall!  It was either Marshall or Page that scooped up a fumble in a game at the old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, Minnesota and returned it for a touchdown in the wrong end zone!  At least, I think they scored for the other team.  If not, the Vikes wound up with terrible field position after the fumble recoverer realized his mistake.

Bear made the decision to punt instead of go for it on fourth and short late in the fourth quarter on Notre Dame's 45 yard line. The punt was perfect and backed Notre Dame inside its own 5 yard line. Great game. Two Great Coaches. Two legendary football programs.

Notre Dame was simply the better team that night. It hurt to see Bama lose and it still does...

Bear made the decision to punt instead of go for it on fourth and short late in the fourth quarter on Notre Dame's 45 yard line. The punt was perfect and backed Notre Dame inside its own 5 yard line. Great game. Two Great Coaches. Two legendary football programs.

Notre Dame was simply the better team that night. It hurt to see Bama lose and it still does...

At Notre Dame, the football players are real college students. At Alabama, they're not.

At Notre Dame, the football players are real college students. At Alabama, they're not.

Last I heard, Bama has about a 75 percent graduation rate. Granted, not as good as ND, few if any schools can claim that. I think if you were to check out Bama's roster of players, you would also find some are going to pursue master degrees and up.

Jake in the Heartland

• 2 weeks later...

Colorado after Monday Night Football last night. There is no joy in Mudville, CO after watching the ManningMeister toss four interceptions.

Well based on the comments you made about Manning and the Broncos one could say you kind of predicted this.   (that is a complement since many fans of a team can't see the weaknesses of their team).      But yea,   last night their passing game was more 'off' then I expected.

They will need to score around 24 points in New England in the conference title game if they want get back to the Super Bowl.

Well based on the comments you made about Manning and the Broncos one could say you kind of predicted this.   (that is a complement since many fans of a team can't see the weaknesses of their team).      But yea,   last night their passing game was more 'off' then I expected.

They will need to score around 24 points in New England in the conference title game if they want get back to the Super Bowl.

The Broncos played well in 1 out of 4 quarters last night, the 3rd. The other 3 quarters were not Bronco-Friendly. I don't see the Broncos beating NE at all or even being much in the game. Looks like a tired team with a tiring aging QB: the Broncos not NE. The interesting division will be the NFC. I think the Pack but Seattle is coming on very strongly after a slow start.

The Broncos played well in 1 out of 4 quarters last night, the 3rd. The other 3 quarters were not Bronco-Friendly. I don't see the Broncos beating NE at all or even being much in the game. Looks like a tired team with a tiring aging QB: the Broncos not NE. The interesting division will be the NFC. I think the Pack but Seattle is coming on very strongly after a slow start.

I'm looking forward to a showdown between the Packers and Seahawks.    The Seahawks D is back and if they can rattle Rogers they should get back to the SB. 

I'm looking forward to a showdown between the Packers and Seahawks.    The Seahawks D is back and if they can rattle Rogers they should get back to the SB. 

I'm not sold on Green Bay or Detroit.  They play in a crummy division, and I think their offenses will be exposed by a good defensive showing from a Seattle or Dallas.  Of course, home field advantage never hurts come playoff time, so we'll see.  But, I agree that the Seahawks are coming on strong.  Then again, look at all the buzz teams had about them at various points of the season, only to stumble in a game no one thought they would lose.  Cincinnati was hot at the beginning.  After the Bengals lost, the focus shifted to the Cowboys, then the Eagles, then the Packers, then the Ravens, then the Broncos, then the Chiefs, then the Steelers...etc, etc.  A Seattle vs. New England Super Bowl would appear to be in the offing, but judging from how this season has unfolded, I'm expecting a surprise or two on this year's playoff trail.

I'm not sold on Green Bay or Detroit.  They play in a crummy division, and I think their offenses will be exposed by a good defensive showing from a Seattle or Dallas.  Of course, home field advantage never hurts come playoff time, so we'll see.  But, I agree that the Seahawks are coming on strong.  Then again, look at all the buzz teams had about them at various points of the season, only to stumble in a game no one thought they would lose.  Cincinnati was hot at the beginning.  After the Bengals lost, the focus shifted to the Cowboys, then the Eagles, then the Packers, then the Ravens, then the Broncos, then the Chiefs, then the Steelers...etc, etc.  A Seattle vs. New England Super Bowl would appear to be in the offing, but judging from how this season has unfolded, I'm expecting a surprise or two on this year's playoff trail.

Clearly no one team has looked great during the entire season, unlike Denver and the Seahawks did last season (or say New England has in one of their 14-2 seasons),   but the Seahawks have looked great the last 4 or 5 games.    But yea,  I'm also expecting a surprise or two.

As for Green Bay;  Well I'll never count Rogers out (take that win over Denver this year).     Dallas has looked good and Romo hasn't folded under the spotlight yet,  BUT,   he has in the past so they might be one the teams out in the first round.

WHAT?! No mentioned of Arizona here???!!!

(...yeah yeah, I know...great Defense but no running game, and they're down to what, their 4th-string QB now?!...never mind) ;)

(...yeah yeah, I know...great Defense but no running game, and they're down to what, their 4th-string QB now?!...never mind) ;)

Yea the QB issue is killing the Cardinals.  Too bad. 

The focus has NEVER been on the Lions, who nobody ever talks about. I'd love to see them win at Lambeau. They have a great defense, and a number of offensive weapons who have underperformed this year.

This is a great time of year for sports fans in America!  Plenty of bowl games and the NFL regular season winding down with its playoff implications.  Late stages of the non-conference schedule or early stages of conference affairs for college basketball are on tap too.  And if anyone here is into high school sports and is familiar with Illinois, you know its holiday hoops time.  From mid-December to the end of the year, there must be between 50 and 60 basketball tournaments going on across the state for boys and girls teams.

Some of the tournaments are small, local affairs that last a couple of days and follow a round-robin format with only 4 or 5 teams.  Most however, have at least 8 teams in their tournament field, and everyone gets at least 3 games against competition they don't normally see during the course of the season.  Bloomington-Normal takes the prize for the most participants (64).  There are 32 boys teams and 32 girls teams and they are split into 16-team tournaments for large schools and small schools.  Facilities from Illinois State University, Illinois Wesleyan University, and the two public high schools in Normal are used as venues for this 4-day event which has grown in popularity over the past 15 years.

It's pretty cool to see scores of games that pit suburban schools from the Chicago area, Chicago Public League teams, small town schools, and medium downstate city schools against one another.  Some tournaments feature out-of-state teams too (mostly from Missouri, Kentucky, and Tennessee).  From one end of the state to the other, teams criss-cross the highways heading to their destinations.  Pontiac has the oldest holiday tournament in the state (running since 1926).  Centralia's tournament has been going for 72 years.

It's getting close to that time. I'll be brief and give my picks. Alabama should beat Ohio State. Both are great programs with great coaches but Alabama will pass and run and pound Ohio State with an inside running game that will wear Ohio State down. Ohio State will score on Bama but it won't be enough.The present odds are Bama by 9. I'll take that. 

Florida State has not been beaten and I think they will remain that way. They have been to the grand stage before and won't be intimidated by the Rose Bowl or Oregon. Two great quarterbacks but Winston is the better and already throws like an NFL QB. The ACC is better than some folks give 'em credit and FSU will prove just how good they are. Oregon is a 9 point favorite and I see FSU beating them by about that amount.

Happy New Year

Break up the Big 10...an absolute juggernaut,,,And they're also getting Jim Harbaugh?

Big 10 went 5-5 this bowl season, which is pretty good, considering the oddsmakers in Vegas had them as the underdog in all 10 of their matchups.  SEC has gone 5-5 with one game left (Florida vs. East Carolina).  Big 12 is 1-4 with two games left (K-State vs. UCLA and Oklahoma State vs. Washington).  Pac-12 is 5-1 with two games left to play.  Mountain West is done with a 3-4 record.  ACC is 5-7 and their bowl season is concluded too.

Follow up. You can't win football games with poor 3rd down conversions percentage, turnovers and spotty defense as Bama did. Bama was a 10 point favorite at game time but did not play to its potential. OSU outplayed and outcoached Bama to win a shot at the National Title. Congrats.

FSU committed 5 turnovers in the 3rd quarter something they had never done before.  It cost them and

Oregon jumped all over them like white on rice resulting in points on the board. Oregon will be the big favorite for the Big Game.

I'll let someone else step up and pick this one.