Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wisconsin and Gonzaga, which are largely Caucasian-comprised teams, are still alive in the NCAAs, while most of the other teams are largely black. I am rooting for both Wisconsin and Gonzaga. I am constantly asking myself, "Can't White men play basketball"? Since the Gonzaga and Wisconsin players seem to be answering that question in the affirmative, that is why I am rooting for them. I don't think that makes me a racist.

Well it is common for people to root for people and teams that look like themselves.   I

But I do have to ask;  Why do you care?    i.e. why is how they look a reason to root for them?   Again,  I find that odd but I believe it is the norm.

Well it is common for people to root for people and teams that look like themselves.   I

But I do have to ask;  Why do you care?    i.e. why is how they look a reason to root for them?   Again,  I find that odd but I believe it is the norm.

If you are a German-American, and Germany meets Spain in the World Cup, who are you going to root for? People understandably root for teams whose players are most similar to them, whether it be in terms of national origin, race, or any other attribute.

If you are a German-American, and Germany meets Spain in the World Cup, who are you going to root for? People understandably root for teams whose players are most similar to them, whether it be in terms of national origin, race, or any other attribute.

Wouldn't this all depend upon how many generations your family has been in America?

I mean, say for instance if your family had been in America for three of four generations and thus "Americanized"(which SHOULD of course always be spelled with a "z"..pronounced "zee" not "zed"..and not an "s"...ah but I digress) enough to have not cared about what happens in that boring little "kick ball" they play and is closely followed everywhere else in the world such as in Germany and Spain, BUT people who had already assimilated to the degree of following REAL sports like American-style Football and Basketball and even Baseball???

(...YOU know, sports where one is actually allowed to TOUCH the ball with their HANDS while its in-play, and the final score doesn't usually end in a 1-0 decision!!!)

LOL

Wouldn't this all depend upon how many generations your family has been in America?

I mean, say for instance if your family had been in America for three of four generations and thus "Americanized"(which SHOULD of course always be spelled with a "z"..pronounced "zee" not "zed"..and not an "s"...ah but I digress) enough to have not cared about what happens in that boring little "kick ball" they play everywhere else in the world such as in Germany and Spain, BUT people who had already assimilated to the degree of following REAL sports like American-style Football and Basketball and even Baseball???

(...YOU know, sports where one is actually allowed to TOUCH the ball with their HANDS while its in-play, and the final score doesn't usually end in a 1-0 decision!!!)

LOL

I don't care how many generations your family has been in America. If you have a closer connection to Germany than to Spain, you're going to root for Germany, unless you are such a big fan of soccer that you have some specific ax to grind with respect to players on either team.

I don't care how many generations your family has been in America. If you have a closer connection to Germany than to Spain, you're going to root for Germany, unless you are such a big fan of soccer that you have some specific ax to grind with respect to players on either team.

OH, you mean somethin' like being either a fan of OR having an "ax to grind" against the better actors on the soccer field and regardless their nationality and who when barely touched by an opponent will fall on the ground and act as if they've been mortally wounded in order to entice an official of the game to penalize the player who barely touched the other player???

(...oh yeah...I think I see what you mean now!) 

I agree that most people root for teams in terms of national origin, race etc...     I'm just not one that does that since I'm a half breed and I don't associated myself with any of those terms except as required by law.

The Notre Dame vs. Kentucky game the best so far of the tournament. Tough loss for Notre Dame and one Notre Dame fans will remember for a long time. Today, Gonzaga vs.Duke should be a great one, too. 

UK vs. Wisconsin should be another nail biter. I see it as a toss up.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket

OH, you mean somethin' like being either a fan of OR having an "ax to grind" against the better actors on the soccer field and regardless their nationality and who when barely touched by an opponent will fall on the ground and act as if they've been mortally wounded in order to entice an official of the game to penalize the player who barely touched the other player???

(...oh yeah...I think I see what you mean now!) 

Your favorite NBA player must have been Vlade Divac, and that has nothing to do with his homeland.

The final four are in. Michigan State upsets Louisville but really is a tested organization that has been there before. Duke dispatches of Gonzaga. My brief take on that game is Gonzaga lost it when they went ahead in the second half and had stopped Duke cold in its tracks but Gonzaga attempted three to four straight three point shots on different possessions and did not make any of them. Cost them.

Your favorite NBA player must have been Vlade Divac, and that has nothing to do with his homeland.

OH yeah...good "actor" too!

(...though unfortunately for him, his "flopperoo act' to garner the offensive foul didn't impress the refs much after a while, as you apparently know)

Knowing myself as I do, the answer is "no"............... I'm sure that many feel this way. But this is the elephant in the room that never gets mentioned

To motivate Wisconsin's players for their game against Kentucky, the coach is having a screening of WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP.

I'm hoping the Spartans lose just so they'll actually broadcast NEWS on the newscasts around here!

NEVER been into basketball, let ALONE college basketball, and March is probably the most annoying month for ME!

Thank God for TCM, DVDs and BOOKS!  :P

Sepiatone

I'm hoping the Spartans lose just so they'll actually broadcast NEWS on the newscasts around here!

NEVER been into basketball, let ALONE college basketball, and March is probably the most annoying month for ME!

Thank God for TCM, DVDs and BOOKS!  :P

Sepiatone

So, given the choice between Michigan State in the NCAA semi-finals and a June Allyson movie, you'll choose the latter.

• Like 1

The Notre Dame vs. Kentucky game the best so far of the tournament. Tough loss for Notre Dame and one Notre Dame fans will remember for a long time. Today, Gonzaga vs.Duke should be a great one, too. 

UK vs. Wisconsin should be another nail biter. I see it as a toss up.

Notre Dame had that game, but the Irish missed too many free throws in the last five minutes, and that cost them in the end.

The final four are in. Michigan State upsets Louisville but really is a tested organization that has been there before. Duke dispatches of Gonzaga. My brief take on that game is Gonzaga lost it when they went ahead in the second half and had stopped Duke cold in its tracks but Gonzaga attempted three to four straight three point shots on different possessions and did not make any of them. Cost them.

Another factor that hurt the Bulldogs was when Wiltjer missed that bunny under the basket.  It would have tied the game and given Gonzaga some momentum.  Instead, it sucked the life out of them (I think it was 52-50 at the time of the missed layup).

Notre Dame had that game, but the Irish missed too many free throws in the last five minutes, and that cost them in the end.

Yep, Notre Dame outplayed Kentucky in that game and had 'em on the ropes. Kentucky has depth and plays a team game with all facets of the game played well. Kentucky's free throws at the end of the game was the nail in the coffin for ND. Big games are won and lost by the free throw many times. Coaches who put a strong emphasis on it  to get that extra few percentage points win more games and championships.