Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SPORTS

JakeHolman

Reminds me---

Saw a "Lockhorns" comic reently in which they're both sitting in a small rowboat, with Leroy holding a fishing pole, and Loretta, with chin resting in hands, says, "If this were more boring, it'd be GOLF."  :lol:

As an ex-caddie, I saw her point!

Sepiatone

I am not a golfer, a country club type or a big fan of golf. Yet, no TV sports event is more absorbing to me than the final round of a major in which two or more golfers are tightly bunched for the lead.

13265258.jpg16917846749_1527d8c826_z.jpg

Jordan Spieth wins The Masters. Justin Rose made it interesting to begin the final round with two birdies on the opening holes cutting Spieth's lead to three. Spieth never succumbed to the pressure though and played near perfect golf. Phil Mickelson would make a birdie, close the gap but give it back right away with a bogey. He played well but at 45 years old opportunities to win a major will be limited. Spieth did do something bold on Amen Corner on number 13 the par five. He started out conservatively with a three wood off the tee with a four shot lead but on his second shot went for the flag and barely made it over Rae's Creek in front of the hole. Had he missed a double bogey could have easily been carded. But he's the champ playing one of the best Masters ever recorded.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/golf-masters/2015-04/masters-essay-photos#slide=1

P.S. There are fine public courses in all parts of the country.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2015-02/americas-100-greatest-public-courses-ranking?currentPage=1

13265258.jpg16917846749_1527d8c826_z.jpg

Jordan Spieth wins The Masters. Justin Rose made it interesting to begin the final round with two birdies on the opening holes cutting Spieth's lead to three. Spieth never succumbed to the pressure though and played near perfect golf. Phil Mickelson would make a birdie, close the gap but give it back right away with a bogey. He played well but at 45 years old opportunities to win a major will be limited. Spieth did do something bold on Amen Corner on number 13 the par five. He started out conservatively with a three wood off the tee with a four shot lead but on his second shot went for the flag and barely made it over Rae's Creek in front of the hole. Had he missed a double bogey could have easily been carded. But he's the champ playing one of the best Masters ever recorded.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/golf-masters/2015-04/masters-essay-photos#slide=1

P.S. There are fine public courses in all parts of the country.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2015-02/americas-100-greatest-public-courses-ranking?currentPage=1

Commentators are saying that even though he may have Tiger's talent. he'll never be anywhere close to him as a draw.

Commentators are saying that even though he may have Tiger's talent. he'll never be anywhere close to him as a draw.

Commentators have been saying this about everyone.   Hey,  it may be true but how to they know.   What does (did),  Tiger have that made him such a draw that no one else can match?     Is it his racial make-up?  (where he is 3\4 the same as me BTW).    

What is more likely is that the media is creating a self-filling prophecy.     i.e. they will not promote anyone, regardless of how good they are, in the same manner they promoted Tiger than claim 'well see,,,  he doesn't have the same drawing power as Tiger'. 

Commentators have been saying this about everyone.   Hey,  it may be true but how to they know.   What does (did),  Tiger have that made him such a draw that no one else can match?     Is it his racial make-up?  (where he is 3\4 the same as me BTW).    

What is more likely is that the media is creating a self-filling prophecy.     i.e. they will not promote anyone, regardless of how good they are, in the same manner they promoted Tiger than claim 'well see,,,  he doesn't have the same drawing power as Tiger'. 

Big hitters seem to have more drawing power. Spieth is not a big hitter. If he was, everyone else shouldn't even bother to show up.

Big hitters seem to have more drawing power. Spieth is not a big hitter. If he was, everyone else shouldn't even bother to show up.

Yea,  John Daly was a big hitter and his drawing power clearly was larger than his actual ability.    Of course maybe big drinkers have great drawing power as well. 

I won't speak about a draw unless you want to talk about how you make a golf ball take a trajectory of right to left with a lot of over spin which results in more distance than a fade.

Listened to Lee Trevino today on ESPN sports who thinks Spieth will be very good. He did mention that his length off the tee is not as great as McElroy's who is 15 to 30 yards further than Spieth on average. That can add up as Mr. Trevino pointed out. Could be a killer in the U.S. Open with long holes and high rough. Distance does matter in today's golf, power golf.

Tiger Woods was the greatest thing to happen to golf in a long time. He revived the game. Had you asked me ten years ago who would go down in history as the greatest golfer, I would have said Tiger Woods. But he changed his swing too many times and bulked up too much in the gym and lost that famous swing that had drives of 320 yards on average. Only golfer greater than Tiger: Jack Nicklaus who will keep the title of most major wins.

Detroit took Game 1 in their Stanley Cup playoff round against Tampa Bay, so I'M happy.

We here in the "D" are sort of conflicted since our long adored captain STEVE YSERMAN is Tampa's GM!

But, "DEM'S THE BREAKS!"

Sepiatone

Detroit took Game 1 in their Stanley Cup playoff round against Tampa Bay, so I'M happy.

We here in the "D" are sort of conflicted since our long adored captain STEVE YSERMAN is Tampa's GM!

But, "DEM'S THE BREAKS!"

Sepiatone

You should also be happy about the Tigers' great start.

The ridiculous thing about pro football in L.A. is that the city has either no teams or two teams. Having one team seems out of the question. After years of having no teams, it looks like both the Chargers (they were formed as the L.A. Chargers) and Raiders will move back to L.A.

The ridiculous thing about pro football in L.A. is that the city has either no teams or two teams. Having one team seems out of the question. After years of having no teams, it looks like both the Chargers (they were formed as the L.A. Chargers) and Raiders will move back to L.A.

And Philip Rivers QB Chargers says he wants no part of L.A. On another topic, why don't you run with the NBA playoffs? Should be some great series.

And Philip Rivers QB Chargers says he wants no part of L.A. On another topic, why don't you run with the NBA playoffs? Should be some great series.

Some in the local SD media are saying the team has had enough of Rivers.    Draft day may provide a hint if this is the case.

The Spurs \ Clippers series should be a great one.   While I don't have much faith in the Clippers and would never discount the current Spurs team (e.g. Duncan just doesn't age!),   if the Clippers can win this 1st round series they could be on their way to the finals.

Some in the local SD media are saying the team has had enough of Rivers.    Draft day may provide a hint if this is the case.

The Spurs \ Clippers series should be a great one.   While I don't have much faith in the Clippers and would never discount the current Spurs team (e.g. Duncan just doesn't age!),   if the Clippers can win this 1st round series they could be on their way to the finals.

The Clippers are scary if everyone plays as well as he can. Even J.J. Redick turned out to be much better than most thought he was.

The Clippers are scary if everyone plays as well as he can. Even J.J. Redick turned out to be much better than most thought he was.

Well any top tier team is scary if everyone plays as well as they can, especially during the final 5 minutes or so of a game.

The problem with this Clippers' team is that they often choke in crunch time (like we saw last night).    Teams like the Spurs typically don't.

Well any top tier team is scary if everyone plays as well as they can, especially during the final 5 minutes or so of a game.

The problem with this Clippers' team is that they often choke in crunch time (like we saw last night).    Teams like the Spurs typically don't.

The problem with the Clippers is that their fifth starter (Matt Barnes) is not up to the others.

The problem with the Clippers is that their fifth starter (Matt Barnes) is not up to the others.

So true.   Barnes is the Clippers enforcer.   But unlike the Lakers' Rick Fox,  (back in the day),   Barnes isn't a smart enforcer and therefore his grit does more harm than good most of the time.

So true.   Barnes is the Clippers enforcer.   But unlike the Lakers' Rick Fox,  (back in the day),   Barnes isn't a smart enforcer and therefore his grit does more harm than good most of the time.

I should have waited a couple more days before I praised the Clippers. What an embarrassing performance. That one was for Donald Sterling.