Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SPORTS

JakeHolman

Few teams have rolled through a round of the playoffs like what the Clippers are doing to Houston. It would be a shame if they somehow blew the series. Will Jack Nicholson climb on the bandwagon?

I don't see them losing.   I have never seen a worst run offense.   One that was unable to adjust.   McHale is bring out coached,  big time. 

Harden,  yet  again is performing only 'so-so' in the playoffs.     As for Lakers fans (like me),  climbing on the bandwagon.  Well generally I don't see it.    I'm only pulling for the Clippers in this series because as a Laker fan McHale is the most hated man on the planet with Howard a close second! 

But I'm pushing for Golden State (who also looks out of sync),    for an all CA western conference finals, and to win it all.

I don't see them losing.   I have never seen a worst run offense.   One that was unable to adjust.   McHale is bring out coached,  big time. 

Harden,  yet  again is performing only 'so-so' in the playoffs.     As for Lakers fans (like me),  climbing on the bandwagon.  Well generally I don't see it.    I'm only pulling for the Clippers in this series because as a Laker fan McHale is the most hated man on the planet with Howard a close second! 

But I'm pushing for Golden State (who also looks out of sync),    for an all CA western conference finals, and to win it all.

Really, the Clippers are a great story....From the Donald Sterling saga, to their long, inglorious history, to the fact that they are the poor sister to the Lakers in L.A., to the fact that there are a great charismatic set of individuals on the team....How could anyone NOT be rooting for them?

Really, the Clippers are a great story....From the Donald Sterling saga, to their long, inglorious history, to the fact that they are the poor sister to the Lakers in L.A., to the fact that there are a great charismatic set of individuals on the team....How could anyone NOT be rooting for them?

How could anyone NOT be rooting for them????   You really don't understand sport team loyalty.   The Clippers are in the same division as the Lakers.   They are rivals.    I just don't support rooting for a rival team.    What you suggest (a Laker fan rooting for the Clippers), would be like a Boston Red Sox fan rooting for the NY Yankees!    Insane. 

Well I have to say that my prediction about the New England Patriot's punishment was very close to reality.    Here is what I posted a few days back: 

Instead only the team should receive punishment.    I say suspend Belichick for 8 games,  fine the team's owner 1 million, and have them lose 2 draft picks.    This might appear harsh but since the team has a history of cheating,   the NFL needs to be harsh.

Ok,  instead of Belichick being suspended for 8 games the league suspended Brady for 4 games. 

Well I have to say that my prediction about the New England Patriot's punishment was very close to reality.    Here is what I posted a few days back: 

Instead only the team should receive punishment.    I say suspend Belichick for 8 games,  fine the team's owner 1 million, and have them lose 2 draft picks.    This might appear harsh but since the team has a history of cheating,   the NFL needs to be harsh.

Ok,  instead of Belichick being suspended for 8 games the league suspended Brady for 4 games. 

...and I hope they go 0-4 !

:P

How could anyone NOT be rooting for them????   You really don't understand sport team loyalty.   The Clippers are in the same division as the Lakers.   They are rivals.    I just don't support rooting for a rival team.    What you suggest (a Laker fan rooting for the Clippers), would be like a Boston Red Sox fan rooting for the NY Yankees!    Insane. 

..but the two teams play in the same arena, and the Lakers are currently down, so any rivalry is on hold. Yankees-Red Sox is not a good analogy. The Lakers and Clippers have hardly ever been competitive on the court.

..but the two teams play in the same arena, and the Lakers are currently down, so any rivalry is on hold. Yankees-Red Sox is not a good analogy. The Lakers and Clippers have hardly ever been competitive on the court.

The fact the two teams play in the same arena is one of the primary reasons we hate each other (e.g. the Clippers covered up the Lakers banners during their home playoff games).   You're correct that historically the Clippers were not rivals of the Lakers because the Clippers stunk but the fact they are better than the Lakers now is one another major reason why no true Laker fan should support them i.e. we want them to never get a banner!.     

Note that this is a major topic on So Cal sports talk radio;  e.g. some say that since both teams are L.A. (So Cal) teams one should support both teams.     The consensus I get is that for most Lakers fans the answer is NOT. 

The fact the two teams play in the same arena is one of the primary reasons we hate each other (e.g. the Clippers covered up the Lakers banners during their home playoff games).   You're correct that historically the Clippers were not rivals of the Lakers because the Clippers stunk but the fact they are better than the Lakers now is one another major reason why no true Laker fan should support them i.e. we want them to never get a banner!.     

Note that this is a major topic on So Cal sports talk radio;  e.g. some say that since both teams are L.A. (So Cal) teams one should support both teams.     The consensus I get is that for most Lakers fans the answer is NOT. 

Wait now. James! 

Are you saying here that IF the Clippers and Cavs meet in The Finals, you're ACTUALLY gonna be rootin' for LeBron freakin' JAMES???!!!

(...PLEASE don't tell me that, dude...PLEASE!!!!)

LOL

Wait now. James! 

Are you saying here that IF the Clippers and Cavs meet in The Finals, you're ACTUALLY gonna be rootin' for LeBron freakin' JAMES???!!!

(...PLEASE don't tell me that, dude...PLEASE!!!!)

LOL

A better analogy is, when the White Sox won the World Series in 2005,many Cubs fans went to the parade......I myself do not permanently root for ANY teams. I have shifting allegiances based upon the circumstances. If I were generally a Lakers fan, I would really be pulling for the Clippers now.

A better analogy is, when the White Sox won the World Series in 2005,many Cubs fans went to the parade......I myself do not permanently root for ANY teams. I have shifting allegiances based upon the circumstances. If I were generally a Lakers fan, I would really be pulling for the Clippers now.

Ah,  funny but last night I wondered if you would 'go there' as it relates to baseball teams in the same city and ha, you did.  Well the major difference there is that they are in different leagues.    The two team are NOT competitor UNLESS they get into the World Series.  So yea, I can root for both the Angels and Dodgers (but if they ever did end up in the WS I would to rooting for the Dodgers).  

BUT,  like I already said the Clippers and Lakers are in the SAME division and that is a major difference.

I see you say 'generally a Laker fan';   to me that is just code speak for 'half-A** fan'.   I believe in my prior posted I used the term 'true fan'.     

As for Dargo's question;   He does have a solid point that once your 'true' team is out of the running which team one roots for and the reasons for doing so can vary.  In fact this can change from series to series.    While overall I'm pulling for Golden State (e.g. CA team,  hasn't won in decades,  young players I like,  Kerr is a solid individual,,,),    if the Clippers were to face Cleveland I would be rooting for the Clippers  (not so much because I dislike LJ but more so the owner of the team).    In fact I already said I was rooting for the Clippers against Houston because of Dwight Howard, Kevin McHale and well because Houston is in Texas!     (but in some way I want Houston to win since Golden State would crush Houston but they have a hard time against the Clippers).

A better analogy is, when the White Sox won the World Series in 2005,many Cubs fans went to the parade.....

I'm surprised to hear that. I've talked with Chicago fans and am told that Cubbies and Soxites absolutely HATE each other. The folks I've talked to wouldn't have gone to that parade, no way!

I'm surprised to hear that. I've talked with Chicago fans and am told that Cubbies and Soxites absolutely HATE each other. The folks I've talked to wouldn't have gone to that parade, no way!

Well, since Cubs' fans haven't been able to go to a parade of their own since 1908, it's understandable who some would temporarily jump on the Chisox' bandwagon. It's not like they're the hated Cardinals.;

Well, since Cubs' fans haven't been able to go to a parade of their own since 1908, it's understandable who some would temporarily jump on the Chisox' bandwagon. It's not like they're the hated Cardinals.;

Yes,  it is understandable why a Cubs' fan would go to a parade.  Any parade.   If they wait for their team to win, well, they will never go to a parade!    :P

Yes,  it is understandable why a Cubs' fan would go to a parade.  Any parade.   If they wait for their team to win, well, they will never go to a parade!    :P

Ask any Cub fan if they would ever go a White Sox parade. He will say no. If he says yes, I hope he doesn't walk down any windy-city dark alleys after dark.

We do agree Brady is being singled out BUT it isn't because of jealousy.  It is because the deflation of balls is done to assist the QB,  Brady is the QB,  and Brady has made it clear many times before the event he liked his balls slightly deflated (he even wrote to the league office 4 - 5 years back asking for a rule change).     Therefore the rule violation was done to assist Brady and only Brady (even if he was unaware of it).

Belichick is the coach.    It is fairly standard (and not just in sports) that when there are rule violations that can't be pinned on specific individuals that upper management gets the punishment.    Unless specific individuals come forth this is why I feel the punishment should be to the owner and coach (with draft picks being a team punishment).

Your post is the only place I've heard that Brady once requested that the league lower the lower limit on air pressure on footballs. Where did you see this?

Your post is the only place I've heard that Brady once requested that the league lower the lower limit on air pressure on footballs. Where did you see this?

It was all over the news and I read it on the ESPN website.   Both Brady and Peyton Manning asked the league to be more flexible as it relates to air pressure (I believe back in 2008). 

ALSO,   one day before the AFC championship game the Colts told the league that they suspected that the Patriots were messing with the balls.    ONE DAY BEFORE.      So other teams were aware of what the Patriots were up to.  This is why as soon as the Colts intercepted a ball they asks the officials to measure the air pressure and after this one ball was found to be 'light' the officials checked the other balls.      This was NOT a one time deal for ONE game.   The only question being for how long had they being doing it.

Let's break a spell from all this narcoleptic "hoops" jive and I'll mention....

For decades in Detroit, we've regarded GORDIE HOWE as "Mr. Hockey", and regardless of him being from Saskatoon, we've long regarded him as one of our own!  And we've been praying for the 89 year old legend's recovery from recent strokes.

Now for years there's been a big too-doo about building a second bridge over the Detroit River to Canada to take a bit of the choke up off of the Ambassador bridge.  Well, that 2nd bridge IS going to be a reality by 2020, and yesterday they announced that they're going to name it:

The GORDIE HOWE INTERNATIONAL BRIDGE.  Which in a way IS fitting as he did sort of "bridge" the relationship of Canada and the U.S., at least the Detroit part of it!

Couldn't be happier for him.

Sepiatone

Kevin McHale has imparted some old come from behind Celtics can do and it's working. Clippers were a complete choke in the 4th quarter. Game seven should be a good one. 

The fourth quarter of this game was one of the biggest surprises ever. NOBODY could see this coming. Let's see Billy Crystal come up with a comic routine about it.

It was all over the news and I read it on the ESPN website.   Both Brady and Peyton Manning asked the league to be more flexible as it relates to air pressure (I believe back in 2008). 

ALSO,   one day before the AFC championship game the Colts told the league that they suspected that the Patriots were messing with the balls.    ONE DAY BEFORE.      So other teams were aware of what the Patriots were up to.  This is why as soon as the Colts intercepted a ball they asks the officials to measure the air pressure and after this one ball was found to be 'light' the officials checked the other balls.      This was NOT a one time deal for ONE game.   The only question being for how long had they being doing it.

..and how many other QBs were ALSO doing it?

..and how many other QBs were ALSO doing it?

We don't know how many other QBs and their staff were 'doing it',  because those other teams were NOT as dumb as the Patriots to get caught.      Did you hear the latest BS from the Patriots.   e.g. They are saying that when the term deflator (as in 'I'm the deflator') was used in a text that this was about obesity and had nothing to do with the pressure of the balls.   

Come on,  don't tell me you believe in all of their lies.    AGAIN,  deflating balls is a very minor infraction but what the league is upset about is the lies (and how absurd the lies are),  and the cover up.    

We don't know how many other QBs and their staff were 'doing it',  because those other teams were NOT as dumb as the Patriots to get caught.      Did you hear the latest BS from the Patriots.   e.g. They are saying that when the term deflator (as in 'I'm the deflator') was used in a text that this was about obesity and had nothing to do with the pressure of the balls.   

Come on,  don't tell me you believe in all of their lies.    AGAIN,  deflating balls is a very minor infraction but what the league is upset about is the lies (and how absurd the lies are),  and the cover up.    

But it seems that if there is suspicion that many teams are deflating balls, that should lessen the punishment.

But it seems that if there is suspicion that many teams are deflating balls, that should lessen the punishment.

I believe if the Patriots had come right out and said one of their staff members had removed one PSI from balls the punishment would have been way, way less.   Instead the team didn't fess up and when they did speak about the issue they lied over and over again (and are still doing so).   This made the NFL spend millions to get to the truth (something the NFL felt they had to do from a PR POV and the fact the other owners demanded it since most of them dislike the Kraft \ Goodell buddy, buddy friendship).      Goodell was at Kraft's house watching the game!    To me this is a clear conflict of interest.   Therefore Goodell had to come down hard to avoid looking like a patsy for Kraft.     FYI:  Kraft is the primary reason Goodell became commissioner.

All of this internal politics plays a role.     

The fourth quarter of this game was one of the biggest surprises ever. NOBODY could see this coming. Let's see Billy Crystal come up with a comic routine about it.

I thought the Clippers would probably wrap it up at home in game six. Not to be. The main criticism of the Clippers going into the playoffs is the depth of the team. The starters might be beginning to show some fatigue. Game seven should be a very good game.