Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just discovered this sports topic on the TCM web site! Awesome, as an avid basketball and football fan, I don't have many people to talk sports with since the husband passed away a few years ago. I watch Mike & Mike a lot, too, and I love Around the Horn. I watch PTI even though sometimes Tony and Wilbon annoy me (yes, I watch a lot of the ESPN sports talk shows when I'm not watching TCM). Loved the photo of Tony Gwynn - best hitter since Ted Williams, no contest, and might have hit .400 if they hadn't had that stupid strike. Loved that the Spurs beat the Heat (Spurs my #2 basketball team after the Bulls). It shows a team can beat "the best player." The Spurs are a class act and should have won last year but I really enjoyed watching them out-work and beat the Heat in every category this year. This was a great finals. Sportswise, now I'll watch a little baseball and soccer until football starts and hope springs eternal.

Hey Jake just want to thank you for all the great baseball pics. About this thread, I was a little disappointed that hockey didn't get a mention yet. I am a die hard St. Louis Blues fan and once again had high expectations but it didn't happen. Surely someone watched the Stanley Cup as the Kings beat the Rangers in five games. If you have any hockey pics I would love to see'm.

I am right and 300 million people are wrong. What's wrong with soccer is that because there is so little scoring, the results are not valid. What often happens is that the team that played the better game ends up losing. The very limited number of scores is not a large enough sample to determine who has dominated. A team can dominate action for 30 consecutive minutes, and no goals are scored by either team.

I am right and 300 million people are wrong. What's wrong with soccer is that because there is so little scoring, the results are not valid. What often happens is that the team that played the better game ends up losing. The very limited number of scores is not a large enough sample to determine who has dominated. A team can dominate action for 30 consecutive minutes, and no goals are scored by either team.

This can occur in the major US sports as well,  but is more common in football since a team can score a lot of points in a very short period of time.   Therefore one team can play better and dominate 'between the lines' but only get a some field goals.    The 'poorer' team can get lucky and run back a kick off or recover a turnover or two and score 14 or more points in a few seconds.   

Hey, I'm no fan of soccer  (and I live with an Italian!),  but it isn't because of the lack of scorring.  It is because of the lack of shots on goal.    i.e. too much running around just to get to where one can take a shot.   

Anyhow I'm hoping the USA gets bounced.   Then I want to see how the TV rating stand after that.   (I assume most Americans really don't like watching the games but will cheer on their team regardless).

Incidenatally, after I did this post, I heard Colin Cowherd, who is one of the most astute sports commentators, say exactly the same thing I did. Only, for some reason it is a factor which makes him LIKE soccer, while, for me, it is a factor that makes me DISLIKE soccer.........Of all sports I believe that the one who plays the best most often wins is tennis.

I think James' point about "the lack of shots on goal" is a very salient one, finance. This I think IS the primary problem with soccer in my opinion. also.

Unlike Hockey, in which the final score can be close in total points as in soccer, a hockey goalie can need to stop over 30 shots on goals in a game, and whereas in soccer a goalie can sit on his behind for long periods of time and doesn't need to block nearly the amount of HARD shots at him as a hockey goalie must.

Add to this that soccer play is most often just a series of intercepted passes baaaaack and forth baaaaack and forth within the field of play, and YEAH, I can CERTAINLY see why you feel the way you do about this sport, and frankly, I AGREE with you!

(...isn't it wonderful that we live in a country which has a Constitution that I THINK states somewhere within it: "In order for sports to be played with the ENTIRE human body, the right to use one's HANDS while playing them will not be infringed."...uh-huh. THAT is what REALLY made our country GREAT, ya know!!!) ;)

Can anyone provide a list of players who have died as a result of chewing tobacco?I knew there have been quite a few.

It's surely out there somewhere, waiting to be discovered.  It's all a little grim, so I'll pass on looking.  Probably too many players, though.

I think James' point about "the lack of shots on goal" is a very salient one, finance. This I think IS the primary problem with soccer in my opinion. also.

Unlike Hockey, in which the final score can be close in total points as in soccer, a hockey goalie can need to stop over 30 shots on goals in a game, and whereas in soccer a goalie can sit on his behind for long periods of time and doesn't need to block nearly the amount of HARD shots at him as a hockey goalie must.

Add to this that soccer play is most often just a series of intercepted passes baaaaack and forth baaaaack and forth within the field of play, and YEAH, I can CERTAINLY see why you feel the way you do about this sport, and frankly, I AGREE with you!

(...isn't it wonderful that we live in a country which has a Constitution that I THINK states somewhere within it: "In order for sports to be played with the ENTIRE human body, the right to use one's HANDS while playing them will not be infringed."...uh-huh. THAT is what REALLY made our country GREAT, ya know!!!) ;)

Harold Russell could have been a star soccwr player. Have there been any great international players who were amputees?

Harold Russell could have been a star soccwr player. Have there been any great international players who were amputees?

The problem with hockey, at least on TV, is that it's hard to follow the puck. In soccer, at least you can follow the ball. Maybe they should increase the size of the puck so it's like a manhole cover.

Yeah, actually a little known fact here is that Harold WAS a great soccer player, and in fact there was once a sports documentary film about his prowess on the soccer fields. Its title:

"The Best Games of My Life"

;)

14584694163_a46823c9d6_z.jpg14538299436_16b9eec1e2_z.jpg14367383738_fec2a91f28_z.jpg14367293747_a1bbc78d2f_z.jpg14550156791_50e698d7a9_z.jpg14530899466_d0988a487e_z.jpg14366523540_6c1047ac6d_c.jpg

U.S. and Belgian players start the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Belgium and the USA at the Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador, Brazil, Tuesday, July 1, 2014. (AP Photo/Themba Hadebe)

14584694163_a46823c9d6_z.jpg14538299436_16b9eec1e2_z.jpg14367383738_fec2a91f28_z.jpg14367293747_a1bbc78d2f_z.jpg14550156791_50e698d7a9_z.jpg14530899466_d0988a487e_z.jpg14366523540_6c1047ac6d_c.jpg

U.S. and Belgian players start the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Belgium and the USA at the Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador, Brazil, Tuesday, July 1, 2014. (AP Photo/Themba Hadebe)

THe U.S, goalie, in the Belgium game, set a World Cup record with 16 saves. I rest my case. 16 saves is NOTHING in an NHL game.

THe U.S, goalie, in the Belgium game, set a World Cup record with 16 saves. I rest my case. 16 saves is NOTHING in an NHL game.

4 goals by Germany in less than 7 minutes, and I, who have watched very little soccer in my life, saw them all.

On the lighter side..

I'm watching the end of a Powershares Series tennis match with John McEnroe and Ivan Lendl. I was never a McEnroe fan, but Ivan Lendl made for some good tennis watching. Ivan really appears to be out of shape here with a slight paunch and excess upper body weight, along with a buzz cut. McEnroe has always appeared to be in tournament shape, even though (I believe) he's not up to full tournament speed.

(insert simian grunts)

On the lighter side..

I'm watching the end of a Powershares Series tennis match with John McEnroe and Ivan Lendl. I was never a McEnroe fan, but Ivan Lendl made for some good tennis watching. Ivan really appears to be out of shape here with a slight paunch and excess upper body weight, along with a buzz cut. McEnroe has always appeared to be in tournament shape, even though (I believe) he's not up to full tournament speed.

(insert simian grunts)

I have also been watching McEnroe play tennis in the last few months.   He does look like he is in real good shape for one of us 'older guys'!  

I have also been watching McEnroe play tennis in the last few months.   He does look like he is in real good shape for one of us 'older guys'!  

:wacko:

If you'll forgive the mention of it, I believe this is part of the "Seniors Tour" <ouch!>

• 2 weeks later...

14667150311_0136e4240b_z.jpg14647513456_a5e51890b2_z.jpg14504783998_7e1e52d0df_z.jpg14647856166_6a6a08af04_z.jpg14647379736_2e3cde6b2a_z.jpg14670182252_58205cf292_z.jpg14483826698_dd3430a812_z.jpg14690370713_f824d6e9fa_z.jpg14516002458_d0eeaf877b_z.jpg

Rory McIlroy wins the 2014 Golf British Open and becomes only the 3rd

golfer to win 3 majors by the age 25, joining Jack Nicklaus and Tiger

Woods. If he stays focused on golf and not let the girls distract him,

it's highly likely he will win a whole lot more major tournaments.

Time will tell...

• 2 weeks later...

The final golf major of 2014 is upon us, as the PGA Championship commences Thursday near Louisville.  Weather could be a factor on Thursday or Friday, but I still can't get over the quake-rattling news about Dustin Johnson last week.  Guy seemed to have a lot going for him, then he fails his third drug test in 5 years and blows a chance to compete for at least 6 months!  Stories (not mentioned on Golf Channel or other television outlets) have spoken of his tryst with at least two wives of touring pro golfers, one of which led to a marriage dissolution!  Maybe you're right about the 'women' comment Jake...Rory has exploded after he broke up with Caroline Wozniacki.  For her part, she won a tennis tournament in Istanbul after their split.

• Like 1

The final golf major of 2014 is upon us, as the PGA Championship commences Thursday near Louisville.  Weather could be a factor on Thursday or Friday, but I still can't get over the quake-rattling news about Dustin Johnson last week.  Guy seemed to have a lot going for him, then he fails his third drug test in 5 years and blows a chance to compete for at least 6 months!  Stories (not mentioned on Golf Channel or other television outlets) have spoken of his tryst with at least two wives of touring pro golfers, one of which led to a marriage dissolution!  Maybe you're right about the 'women' comment Jake...Rory has exploded after he broke up with Caroline Wozniacki.  For her part, she won a tennis tournament in Istanbul after their split.

None other than the great Little Black Knight, Gary Player, believes Rory has the complete game

to surpass Tiger and possibly go down as one of golf's greatest, if not the greatest, of all time. He

has encouraged him to marry a traditional woman who will give him children and support his pursuit

of greatness.

I think he's spot on.