Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

None other than the great Little Black Knight, Gary Player, believes Rory has the complete game

to surpass Tiger and possibly go down as one of golf's greatest, if not the greatest, of all time. He

has encouraged him to marry a traditional woman who will give him children and support his pursuit

of greatness.

I think he's spot on.

Has anyone ever won two consecutive majors, while also winning the one major tour event between the two majors? Rory just did.

Just read where Sir Paul McCartney played a close-out concert for Candlestick Park. There goes another piece of history. I suppose, eventually, ALL the old stadiums will be razed in favor of money generators the size of O'Hare.

Just read where Sir Paul McCartney played a close-out concert for Candlestick Park. There goes another piece of history. I suppose, eventually, ALL the old stadiums will be razed in favor of money generators the size of O'Hare.

It would have been more appropriate for this concert to feature surviving members of the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and other groups with San Francisco connections.

It would have been more appropriate for this concert to feature surviving members of the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and other groups with San Francisco connections.

I can just see all the Dead Heads.. 70 + year olds with long, gray hair in multi-banded pony tails. Each and every one arriving in a 1965 VW Type 2 Bus they have restored to perfection using their silicon valley dividends.

• Like 1

It's surprising that for as nice as it still looks, Dodger Stadium is now the 3rd oldest in Major League Baseball!  Only Fenway Park and Wrigley Field are older.  I'm not a big baseball fan, but I live in an area where the Cardinals are the predominant favorite team, followed by the Cubs.  I think in any sport, the building you play in can make a difference in the team's performance.  While it's nice to play in such rustic, historic places, I think you have to have a modern facility with amenities that modern day fans will enjoy, as well as the players.  Compare the locker rooms, physio rooms, and players lounge at Wrigley Field to Coors Field, Barclay's Center, or Levi's Stadium.  I tell Cubs fans they would be better off with a new stadium, but they won't hear of it.  I think a more modern facility could help them attract and keep good, young talent.  Chicago is said to have one of the better farm systems in MLB, yet they continually become a "feeder" team for the contenders each year, as they ship out their best players and higher salaries after Memorial Day, which is usually the time the Cubs are out of the mix for the National League pennant.

• Like 1

It's surprising that for as nice as it still looks, Dodger Stadium is now the 3rd oldest in Major League Baseball!  Only Fenway Park and Wrigley Field are older.  I'm not a big baseball fan, but I live in an area where the Cardinals are the predominant favorite team, followed by the Cubs.  I think in any sport, the building you play in can make a difference in the team's performance.  While it's nice to play in such rustic, historic places, I think you have to have a modern facility with amenities that modern day fans will enjoy, as well as the players.  Compare the locker rooms, physio rooms, and players lounge at Wrigley Field to Coors Field, Barclay's Center, or Levi's Stadium.  I tell Cubs fans they would be better off with a new stadium, but they won't hear of it.  I think a more modern facility could help them attract and keep good, young talent.  Chicago is said to have one of the better farm systems in MLB, yet they continually become a "feeder" team for the contenders each year, as they ship out their best players and higher salaries after Memorial Day, which is usually the time the Cubs are out of the mix for the National League pennant.

The Cubs and Red Sox are the two teams with rustic stadiums. The Cubs have recently been lousy, while the Red Sox have been very good. Explain that. 

I hate to see the old parks go. I'm also for progress, but not the high ticket prices compounded by vendor prices. Even my hometown Joker Marchant Stadium (Detroit Tiger's spring training park) is pushing it with $10-12 tickets in the Grass/Berm SRO and Bleachers - respectively.. and since I can walk the half mile to get there, I have no added cost to park. I'm certain I'll never attend another season game at $25.00-$125.00 for medium infield seating in our Ray's Tampa Stadium.

Amended:

My earliest recall of a 1968 Senators home game I attended was around $2.50-$2.75 for a ticket. Considering most things (my income included) these days have increased in price by a factor of 10 from 1968, a $25.00 ticket today is right in line with inflation. Still..

I hate to see the old parks go. I'm also for progress, but not the high ticket prices compounded by vendor prices. Even my hometown Joker Marchant Stadium (Detroit Tiger's spring training park) is pushing it with $10-12 tickets in the Grass/Berm SRO and Bleachers - respectively.. and since I can walk the half mile to get there, I have no added cost to park. I'm certain I'll never attend another season game at $25.00-$125.00 for medium infield seating.

The guy's first name was "Joker"?

The Cubs and Red Sox are the two teams with rustic stadiums. The Cubs have recently been lousy, while the Red Sox have been very good. Explain that. 

Well, the Red Sox are an exception to the rule.  They have been more competitive year in and year out than the Cubs have been.  They have played in more World Series games since the Cubs last made it to the finals in 1945.  New digs don't guarantee success for a sports tenant, but just like repair work on roads and utility lines, if you don't update or upgrade what you have, you tend to stagnate and languish into mediocrity, or worse.  Shoot, if we didn't have the communications upgrades in this country in the 1990's, we couldn't converse on these boards.  :D

The guy's first name was "Joker"?

Yeah. Ain't that somethin'?

From their website: Joker Marchant Stadium was named in honor of the late Joker Marchant, Lakeland's former parks and recreation director.

14704551590_c5d10595a1_z.jpg14704581730_66f4cbdb14_z.jpg14704656458_003a91006b_z.jpg14888168371_93e5379e52_z.jpg14704574650_73dedacb97_z.jpg14704590710_c4bb59da45_z.jpg14891211655_3044b73e21_z.jpgvalhalla_2.jpgvalhalla_6.jpgvalhalla_13.jpg

The 2014 PGA Championship at Valhalla Golf Club ends with Rory McIlroy

winning his second major in a row. It was one of the best major tournaments

shown on television in a long time. Many were in the hunt to win the

championship in the final round ending with Rory getting away with an

errant tee shot that almost went into the water hazard on 18 but winning

it all with darkness approaching.

Phil Mickelson made a charge at it but it was Rory who had the game and

talent to win it. Phil is running out of time to rack up some more major wins

with his age but Rory has a long way to go and is the undisputed number

one player in the world.

After today's Wyndham Championships, the golf world's focus shifts to the race for the FedEx Cup and the Ryder Cup to close out the 2013-14 season.  McIlroy's string of three straight tournament wins vaulted him up to number 1 on the FedEx Cup list.  He could skip the final three qualifying tournaments (Barclay's, Deutsche Bank, and BMW) and still qualify for the finals in Atlanta prior to the Ryder Cup.  I think I read that no one in the Top 14 of the FedEx Cup heading into the Barclay's has ever missed the Finals in Atlanta.  The U.S. and European teams are expected to be named by September 2.  It will be interesting to see who Tom Watson's captains picks are for the last 3 U.S. slots.

I hate to see the old parks go. I'm also for progress, but not the high ticket prices compounded by vendor prices. Even my hometown Joker Marchant Stadium (Detroit Tiger's spring training park) is pushing it with $10-12 tickets in the Grass/Berm SRO and Bleachers - respectively.. and since I can walk the half mile to get there, I have no added cost to park. I'm certain I'll never attend another season game at $25.00-$125.00 for medium infield seating in our Ray's Tampa Stadium.

Amended:

My earliest recall of a 1968 Senators home game I attended was around $2.50-$2.75 for a ticket. Considering most things (my income included) these days have increased in price by a factor of 10 from 1968, a $25.00 ticket today is right in line with inflation. Still..

For the Senators, $2.50 was no bargain.

For the Senators, $2.50 was no bargain.

Certainly not. And.. we sat in left field, alllll the way up in the very last row. Nearly the farthest possible seats from home plate. We would lean over the concrete back wall, dropping peanuts on the "ants" (passersby) below.

The franchise was moved to Arlington, Texas in 1971 (I believe) so I never got the chance to repeat that wonderful experience. Newly licensed, I wasn't about to drive to Baltimore for my games.

Certainly not. And.. we sat in left field, alllll the way up in the very last row. Nearly the farthest possible seats from home plate. We would lean over the concrete back wall, dropping peanuts on the "ants" (passersby) below.

The franchise was moved to Arlington, Texas in 1971 (I believe) so I never got the chance to repeat that wonderful experience. Newly licensed, I wasn't about to drive to Baltimore for my games.

Yes. The original Senators moved to Minnesota circa 1961. An expansion Senators was then formed, which moved to Texas circa 1971.

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of going politically nuclear, I'm one who believes, based solely on the elevator video, that Ray Rice should be banned from the NFL - permanently - for, literally, punching out his fiancée.

At the risk of going politically nuclear, I'm one who believes, based solely on the elevator video, that Ray Rice should be banned from the NFL - permanently - for, literally, punching out his fiancée.

I question why any employer should punish employees for OFF the JOB conduct.    Punishment should come from the legal system; e.g.  Rice should have received 3 - 6 months in jail.   (and of course if he missed games while being in jail his pay is docked).

Note that some people were upset that players using drugs got more punishment than Rice.  BUT use of drugs can impact ON FIELD performance,  so the NFL should punish anyone for conduct that impacts their ON FIELD performance.     (but smoking weed during the off season does NOT impact ON FIELD performance so the NFL shouldn't punish players for that.

I'm surprised the NFL players association would agree to such punishments for OFF the job conduct.  

On a final note: I really wonder what the stand would be from a political POV.    Conservatives don't like it when employers fire or fine employess (e.g talk show host),  for comments they make (on or off the job),  that is something Liberals tend to favor more.  (the POV of if I'm not PC I can lose my job)   

So is my POV above more left or right???   I have no idea.

I question why any employer should punish employees for OFF the JOB conduct.    Punishment should come from the legal system; e.g.  Rice should have received 3 - 6 months in jail.   (and of course if he missed games while being in jail his pay is docked).

Note that some people were upset that players using drugs got more punishment than Rice.  BUT use of drugs can impact ON FIELD performance,  so the NFL should punish anyone for conduct that impacts their ON FIELD performance.     (but smoking weed during the off season does NOT impact ON FIELD performance so the NFL shouldn't punish players for that.

I'm surprised the NFL players association would agree to such punishments for OFF the job conduct.  

On a final note: I really wonder what the stand would be from a political POV.    Conservatives don't like it went employers fire or fine employess (e.g talk show host),  for comments they make (on or off the job),  that is something Liberals tend to favor more.  (the POV of if I'm not PC I can lose my job)   

I do not see your POV as left or right; just your opinion/POV - and that's perfectly valid. No Arguments.

On a final note: I really wonder what the stand would be from a political POV.    Conservatives don't like it when employers fire or fine employess (e.g talk show host),  for comments they make (on or off the job),  that is something Liberals tend to favor more.  (the POV of if I'm not PC I can lose my job)   

I realize that beating women is a no-no, but permanently banned for one hit? Especially when the woman forgave him and then married him? Come on.

My response (Permanently banned for one hit?) should have been to this Kid Dabb post, not to jjg.

It looks as if your view prevails. I haven't seen the latest video, but based upon it alone, Rice today was released by the Ravens and suspended indefinitely by the league. Did the video show something that was not anticipated? I don't get it.

It looks as if your view prevails. I haven't seen the latest video, but based upon it alone, Rice today was released by the Ravens and suspended indefinitely by the league. Did the video show something that was not anticipated? I don't get it.

The legal assessment and previous NFL response(s) were not based on this latest elevator video, which clearly shows what appears to be a left punch to the head akin to Mohamed Ali laying a full force left hook on your (or my) jaw. Slam - Bam ! Hit the floor instantly. Then he dragged her out of the elevator, plopped her face down on the floor, lightly kicking her unconscious body as he moved around her.

It's unclear why this important piece of evidence seems to have been withheld by the police, who had it in their possession...  AND why the Ravens AND NFL deny having seen it or having any knowledge of it - until now.

The legal assessment and previous NFL response(s) were not based on this latest elevator video, which clearly shows what appears to be a left punch to the head akin to Mohamed Ali laying a full force left hook on your (or my) jaw. Slam - Bam ! Hit the floor instantly. Then he dragged her out of the elevator, plopped her face down on the floor, lightly kicking her unconscious body as he moved around her.

It's unclear why this important piece of evidence seems to have been withheld by the police, who had it in their possession...  AND why the Ravens AND NFL deny having seen it or having any knowledge of it - until now.

I watched parts of a few sports shows today and of course this is THE hot topic.   But I have yet to hear anyone discuss if the Ravens have a legal right to terminate Rice's contract.    Does that contract allow the Ravens to void the contract for off field conduct?  When Don Imus was fired he sued and won.   He got more money for being fired than if he would have worked. (and his conduct was while he was on the air).

NOTE:  In no way do I support Ray Rice.   My main interest in these type of topics is from a contract and legal POV, as it relates to due process,  the CBA, etc...     

e.g.  If a player lives in Colorado where use of recreational pot is legal,  should the NFL have the power to punish a player that uses pot during the off season?     

Related to movies;  I never supported those 'moral' clauses. 

I watched parts of a few sports shows today and of course this is THE hot topic.   But I have yet to hear anyone discuss if the Ravens have legal right to terminate Rice's contract.    Does that contact allow the Ravens to void the contract for off field conduct?  When Don Imus was fired he sued and won.   He got more money for being fired than if he would have worked. (and his conduct was while he was on the air).

NOTE:  In no way do I support Ray Rice.   My main interest in these type of topics is from a contract and legal POV, as it relates to due process,  the CBA, etc...     

e.g.  If a player lives in Colorado where use of recreational pot is legal,  should the NFL have the power to punish a player that uses pot during the off season?     

Related to movies;  I never supported those 'moral' clauses. 

I did a few quickie searches under sports law but didn't find anything specific enough to cover this. I'm too lazy right now to dig any deeper. My guess is there may have been something in his contract about maintaining a good image - for the team and the league as a whole. I could be wrong on that. I'm not even sure these large organizations even care about that anymore anyway - just money. If it affects their bottom line, they care a whole lot.. and I heard some of the news reports state the NFL had reflected upon this new video evidence and was worried about the possible public and interorganizational backlash which could have resulted in untold losses of revenue.

I think this is the first time in my life I have used an 8-syllable word in public

Amended