Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So sorry to learn of Dan Rooney's passing  He was truly one of the great sports owners of all time.  Great guy; believed in teamwork and equality.  He respected others and they respected him.  My condolences to the Steeler nation and his family.  God bless...

So sorry to learn of Dan Rooney's passing  He was truly one of the great sports owners of all time.  Great guy; believed in teamwork and equality.  He respected others and they respected him.  My condolences to the Steeler nation and his family.  God bless...

The Steelers were nowhere until around 1969, when Dan was taking over from his father.

Didn't give that any thought. I was too absorbed with the Rose Garcia battle down the stretch. Great golf. Great shot making & drama. Garcia got the choker tag in the majors removed from his legacy.

Hope to see an American win the next time.

It's always entertaining to watch a shifting leaderboard on the final day of a golf tournament, especially for a major championship.  The first time a foreign player won The Masters was Gary Player in 1961.  Of the 81 winners at Augusta, 22 have been foreign-born.  This year was the first time a foreign-born player won the Masters with a year ending in "7".  There were only 3 Americans who finished in the top 10 at Augusta this year.  Matt Kuchar and Kevin Chappell shot a 67 and 69, respectively in the 4th round to finish in a tie for 4th and a tie for 7th.  Ryan Moore, who shot a 74 on the final day, finished tied for 9th.  Kuchar and Moore were Ryder Cup winning teammates from last fall.

As for the long-shafted putters, I think they're still allowed by the PGA.  However, anchoring them against your body while putting has been outlawed.

Tiger Woods won't catch Jack Nicklaus' all-time record for major wins, but the guy's impact on prize money and sponsorships in golf can't be overstated.  When Woods won The Masters for the first time in 1997, he took home $486,000.  Four years later, when he won the tournament for the second time, he pocketed $1,008,000!  For his win this year, Sergio Garcia received $1,980,000.  Every other tournament on the PGA Tour has seen large increases in prize money over the years too. 

It's always entertaining to watch a shifting leaderboard on the final day of a golf tournament, especially for a major championship.  The first time a foreign player won The Masters was Gary Player in 1961.  Of the 81 winners at Augusta, 22 have been foreign-born.  This year was the first time a foreign-born player won the Masters with a year ending in "7".  There were only 3 Americans who finished in the top 10 at Augusta this year.  Matt Kuchar and Kevin Chappell shot a 67 and 69, respectively in the 4th round to finish in a tie for 4th and a tie for 7th.  Ryan Moore, who shot a 74 on the final day, finished tied for 9th.  Kuchar and Moore were Ryder Cup winning teammates from last fall.

As for the long-shafted putters, I think they're still allowed by the PGA.  However, anchoring them against your body while putting has been outlawed.

Tiger Woods won't catch Jack Nicklaus' all-time record for major wins, but the guy's impact on prize money and sponsorships in golf can't be overstated.  When Woods won The Masters for the first time in 1997, he took home $486,000.  Four years later, when he won the tournament for the second time, he pocketed $1,008,000!  For his win this year, Sergio Garcia received $1,980,000.  Every other tournament on the PGA Tour has seen large increases in prize money over the years too. 

A common argument is, which major has the most prestige. The PGA is the only one that clearly is not. The British is the oldest. The U.S. Open is the most difficult. The Masters has the legendary course and the green Jacket

A common argument is, which major has the most prestige. The PGA is the only one that clearly is not. The British is the oldest. The U.S. Open is the most difficult. The Masters has the legendary course and the green Jacket

Believe most pro golfers would say the U.S. Open is the one they'd like to win the most. Arnold Palmer & Tom Watson never won the PGA Championship.

The NFL draft is now swallowing up and choking off my whole neighborhood. They are taking over every square inch of space all the way up and down the Parkway. More so than with the Pope's recent visit.

American sports fans know their priorities, right? :D

As for the previous discussion about which major golf tournament is the most prestigious, I agree the PGA would rank 4th.  However, like the Masters, the U.S. Open, and the British Open, it does attract a world-wide field of quality players, and thus, a world-wide audience.  Maybe it's popularity and importance among fans is somewhat diminished because it's last in the pecking order of the majors that are played.  It's normally held in August when adults are perhaps looking forward to football season or getting their kids ready for a new school year. Make no mistake, if you ask most of the pros on camera, they'll state which tournament they'd love to win most.  Privately though, they'd take any major tournament win, especially if it's the only one they ever achieve in their career.  The major tournaments are full of guys who only won once in their careers, but it's something they'll always cherish (Larry Mize, Steve Elkington, Y.E. Yang, Ben Curtis, Lucas Glover, Todd Hamilton, Bob Tway, Mike Weir are just a few of the one-time, unexpected major champions).  Some of these guys are still on tour too, so who's to say they can't break through a second time?

y5hoyCLr_bigger.jpeg

FOX411‏Verified account @Fox411 2h2 hours ago

@espn to lay off about 100 employees TODAY including on-air talent http://fxn.ws/2oLBwMi  #ESPNLayoffs

C-V2JtbVwAA9GzV.jpg

I heard about this on the Dan Patrick Show today.  He said ESPN over-extended itself with paying a lot of money for securing rights to broadcast events (I'm guessing MLB, NFL, and NBA games, but I could be wrong).  The only name I heard him mention was Ed Werder who covers the Cowboys for the NFL Gameday as well as the Dallas Morning News.  It will be interesting to see who else might get the ax.  I don't watch SportsCenter so much, but I do enjoy their college and pro football games they cover, plus college basketball.  Around The Horn and Pardon The Interruption can be entertaining, and I enjoy Outside The Lines and Sports Reporters.  Bob Ley and Chris Berman are the only two originals left at the network.  I can remember when ESPN used to show informercials in the overnight hours to fill in its broadcasting schedule.

I heard about this on the Dan Patrick Show today.  He said ESPN over-extended itself with paying a lot of money for securing rights to broadcast events (I'm guessing MLB, NFL, and NBA games, but I could be wrong).  The only name I heard him mention was Ed Werder who covers the Cowboys for the NFL Gameday as well as the Dallas Morning News.  It will be interesting to see who else might get the ax.  I don't watch SportsCenter so much, but I do enjoy their college and pro football games they cover, plus college basketball.  Around The Horn and Pardon The Interruption can be entertaining, and I enjoy Outside The Lines and Sports Reporters.  Bob Ley and Chris Berman are the only two originals left at the network.  I can remember when ESPN used to show informercials in the overnight hours to fill in its broadcasting schedule.

Whaddaya mean by callin' Berman an "original" there, midwesty?!

Hell, the dude's ripped off SO many catchphrases, such as "He...could...go...all...the...way" from TRUE "originals" like Howard Cosell, shamelessly quotes famous movie lines at every turn AND offers up more and even WORSE puns than I DO around here, that to call THAT obnoxiously loud gravel-voiced guy an "original" degrades the use of that word, wouldn't ya say?! ;)

(...yeah, yeah, I knew what ya really meant here, dude...just couldn't resist this mention of how I've noticed he's seemed to have worn out his welcome on my TV set over these many years)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Whaddaya mean by callin' Berman an "original" there, midwesty?!

Hell, the dude's ripped off SO many catchphrases, such as "He...could...go...all...the...way" from TRUE "originals" like Howard Cosell, shamelessly quotes famous movie lines at every turn AND offers up more and even WORSE puns than I DO around here, that to call THAT obnoxiously loud gravel-voiced guy an "original" degrades the use of that word, wouldn't ya say?! ;)

(...yeah, yeah, I knew what ya really meant here, dude...just couldn't resist this mention of how I've noticed he's seemed to have worn out his welcome on my TV set over these many years)

I feel for the man, having lost his wife. But he is just terrible on the air. I've been waiting for him to cough up a furball for years.

• 2 weeks later...