Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Come on James...like a lot of people, I only use salt for cooking  :D .

USC's loss was understandable, given that they played a very physical game against Stanford the week before, then had to fly cross-country to meet the Eagles.  Look at UCLA (yeah, I know you'd rather not)!  They struggled against Virginia in Charlottesville, but Thursday night, they treated Arizona State like the horse Cagney shot in "The Public Enemy" for kicking Nails and ultimately killing him.  It's true mostly in the NFL, but West Coast teams that travel to the East Coast for games have a harder time winning than when Eastern teams travel to the West, and I think a lot of that has to do with acclimating yourself to the 3-hour time difference.

In 2007, if I remember correctly, Oregon State played a football game at Cincinnati.  At the time, it was only the third game the Beavers had ever played in the Eastern Time Zone.  I found that stat to be very interesting.

Funny you mention the NFL and West Coast teams that have to travel.    My team,  the Raiders (yea,  still my team due to Allen and that Super Bowl win the short time they were here in So Cal),   had to travel not just to the East Coast,  but to London!   Now I know the NFL always hated Al Davis (being sued every year or so will do that to you),  but Al has been dead for a long time now.

When I traveled to Italy in May it took me two days to recover and I didn't have to get up the next day and play pro-football!

PS:  Betting against a team that has to travel a far distance is always a good idea and something many don't do.  So it is a way to get an edge over the odds.

Ugly is right...it makes sports so compelling!  Speaking of which, Boston College, the team that stunned USC a couple of weeks ago, just lost at home to Colorado State!

Yes, the Rams did it!!  Great game.  I watched it.  Makes us Colorado folks happy. 

Yes, the Rams did it!!  Great game.  I watched it.  Makes us Colorado folks happy. 

Good day for road teams.  Minnesota trashes Michigan in Ann Arbor and won the little brown jug for just the 2nd time in the last 24 meetings.  Maryland wins at Indiana in the first meeting of the teams in 79 years.  Northwestern creams Penn State in Not-So-Happy Valley, and Temple, Florida State, and Colorado are holding their own on the road so far.

• Like 1

Good day for road teams.  Minnesota trashes Michigan in Ann Arbor and won the little brown jug for just the 2nd time in the last 24 meetings.  Maryland wins at Indiana in the first meeting of the teams in 79 years.  Northwestern creams Penn State in Not-So-Happy Valley, and Temple, Florida State, and Colorado are holding their own on the road so far.

Michigan's coach (a Mike Golic lookalike) is history.

15203362108_4f3b86b05e_z.jpg15386735481_9a6736e345_z.jpg15203235980_35bfc0e173.jpg15203340548_306c19728b_c.jpg15384446532_e056f4514d_c.jpg15365584876_9a17f92379_z.jpg15159378607_f0d3143f13_c.jpg15159241040_b1e62bc4ee_c.jpg

The Europeans do it again. They defeat the U.S. and win the Ryder Cup.

Not so long ago it was a given the U.S. would win the Cup with little

effort. That is no longer the situation. In fact, the Europeans are now

the dominant team and the U.S. players criticizing coach Tom Watson for

his decisions rings rather hollow. Congrats to the Europeans.

15203362108_4f3b86b05e_z.jpg15386735481_9a6736e345_z.jpg15203235980_35bfc0e173.jpg15203340548_306c19728b_c.jpg15384446532_e056f4514d_c.jpg15365584876_9a17f92379_z.jpg15159378607_f0d3143f13_c.jpg15159241040_b1e62bc4ee_c.jpg

The Europeans do it again. They defeat the U.S. and win the Ryder Cup.

Not so long ago it was a given the U.S. would win the Cup with little

effort. That is no longer the situation. In fact, the Europeans are now

the dominant team and the U.S. players criticizing coach Tom Watson for

his decisions rings rather hollow. Congrats to the Europeans.

The population of Europe is greater than the population of the U.S. They have more to draw from.

WAIT! Just thought of a few other possible reasons for this...

A- The Navajo are a very insensitive people in relation to how many other Native Americans tribes feel about this issue

B- The Navajo are an extremely secure people who don't allow things like the wording of "Redskins" to get under their...IF you'll excuse the expression...skin

C- The Navajo don't follow the latest news in the Paleface media, and thus don't know what they're supposed to be offended by

(...just for the record, MY, and please excuse the expression here again, wampum's on "B" bein' the most likely answer here, btw) 

LOL

You should send this information to Redskins' owner Dan Snyder, in case he doesn't know it.

With regards to the Ryder's cup and this comment:

The population of Europe is greater than the population of the U.S. They have more to draw from.

I don't think population can explain why Europe is doing better now.   Golf is still mostly a rich man's sport and the poorer European countries don't have the type of golf courses and golf organizations we have in the USA.     If population was the driving factor guys from India would be winning the majority of the PGA events.

The USA is just having a slump that I assume overtime will correct itself.  

baseball.jpg

Extra Innings. How about that base running in the 8th and 9th for KC. Good old-fashion country baseball.

EDIT: Not to mention two successful sacrifice bunts and a clutch Sac Fly for the tying run.

Edited by laffite
  • Like 1

Sounds like a good game. I'm not much of an AL fan, so I didn't watch it.

Now that the Yankees and Braves have been eliminated, I have no team

to root against. And I like all of the NL teams. I'd like to see the Pirates

win, but the odds are against it.

This is the week for Kansas City sports. The Chiefs win big on Monday night, then the KC Royals beat the Oakland (formerly KC) As in the baseball playoffs.

• Like 1

This is the week for Kansas City sports. The Chiefs win big on Monday night, then the KC Royals beat the Oakland (formerly KC) As in the baseball playoffs.

I admit I turned to something else since I felt the game was over.  Either way,  the game was great for my Angels.   These one game playoffs really mess with a team.    So KC's pitching is how weaken (e.g. their best started used,  extra innings impacts their relief staff),  and they have to face a well rested Angel team.   

With this new format,  if a wildcard team ever wins in all,  that will really be a feat.

The Giants have been, and are, made for post-season. Look out.

How many days between games has a lot to do with how a wildcard team will do in the post-season.    In order to fit a T.V. schedule built for rating,  it looks like there are more 'off' days between games.   This really helps wildcard teams since they had to use their best pitcher to win the one-game playoff.

How about a retro World Series...1966 style?  Baltimore vs. the Dodgers!  Boog Powell, Brooks Robinson, Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax...et al.  Of course, if the Giants pull it off, I would chalk it up to San Francisco preferring to play post-season baseball in even-numbered years!

It's amazing that the Orioles are doing this well without Chris Davis, Manny Machado, and Matt Wieters.

The Orioles just came back with 4 in the 8th to win the second game 7-6. Amazing. If the Orioles had their 3 missing players, they'd have hitting to rival the '27 Yankees.

To YOU? You're the Angels fan. Incidentally, I'm a big Mike Trout fan. He's from the NJ suburbs of Philly.

I meant the enjoyment factor of the games,   not all of the outcomes, per se  (yea,  intense Game one but of course I wanted the Angels to win).