Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LonesomePolecat

VOTING THREAD for the 25th TCM Programming Challenge

If it's not too late, I'd split my vote between Skimpole and SansFin.  If it were to come down to it, the tiebreaker might go to Skimpole for including La Haine.  Lydecker would be up there but for one minor glitch:  Including the abridged 140 minute version of Greed as a premiere, when TCM has already shown the much better four hour version at least twice in the past few years.  But all three of those entries easily stand out over the rest of them.

Yes, once again, just to make sure everyone understands, because of the silly snafu with the board locking me out, the voting has been extended to Sunday midnight Pacific time (because tI have a huge party Saturday). So everyone has plenty of time to vote.

If it's not too late, I'd split my vote between Skimpole and SansFin.  If it were to come down to it, the tiebreaker might go to Skimpole for including La Haine.  Lydecker would be up there but for one minor glitch:  Including the abridged 140 minute version of Greed as a premiere, when TCM has already shown the much better four hour version at least twice in the past few years.  But all three of those entries easily stand out over the rest of them.

So does your vote go to Skimpole, since you can't split? :)

If it's not too late, I'd split my vote between Skimpole and SansFin.  If it were to come down to it, the tiebreaker might go to Skimpole for including La Haine.  

I thank you for considering my schedule as nearly equal to Skimpole's. That is indeed high praise!

But with such great choices as Avanti, Andrei Rublev, Kagemusha, Tokyo Story and Russian Ark my vote goes to SansFin.

I thank you for your kind vote and I congratulate you on your excellent taste in movies! :) 

Avanti (1972) is one of my favorite 'sleeper' movies because it is a wonderful comedy which nearly none have watched.

Kagemusha (1980) carries for me a power and meaning far beyond the simple story which it appears to be. 

I scheduled: Russian Ark (2002) and Andrei Rublev (1969) for the devious reason that I know that TCM Programmers often read the entries and I wished to keep these movies in their minds so that they might chose them for future schedules.

I hope whoever wins this challenge will get the next challenge up soon, as I love these competitions.

I have sympathy for the winner because they must chose the date for the next. I feel that June might be a little soon and many people are busy with the changes in family schedules due to children ending their school year. July might be a problem because many people like to spend summers outdoors as much as possible. August and September might be a problem because of changing family schedules and people spending as much time outdoors as possible before cold weather comes. It is by this that October seems to me to be optimal but Challenges in October have traditionally low turn-outs and it is a very long time to wait.

I wish to alert all that TCM has provided us with a wonderful resource: past challenges are now available on their own board! :)

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/forum/138-tcm-program-challenges-archive/?prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all

I have not investigated fully but I believe by looking at the titles of the threads that either number six or number seven is missing. The progression is:

1) TCM Programming Challenge

2) Return of the TCM Programming Challenge

3) Another TCM Programming Challenge

4) Revenge of the TCM Programming Challenge

5) Take 5

6) or 7) Back to Basics

8) TCM Programming Challenge #8

etc.

I experienced some difficulties with individual threads. On first attempt they produced a: Fatal Error. Refreshing/reloading the page cleared that problem in every instance but some of them required considerable time to load.

I thank TCM for their care and attention to bring this valuable resource to us!

I wish to thank TCM also for providing the archive of Kyle's posts:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/forum/140-remembering-kyle-in-hollywood/

So does your vote go to Skimpole, since you can't split?

Fair point.  On the strength of La Haine, then, I'd give Skimpole a split 15-round decision in triple overtime and about 18 innings worth of upstate returns.  That film is just so powerful that it has to be shown on TCM.  SansFin's and Lydecker's entries were so damn strong I hate to vote "against" them, but as the Brooklyn Eagle used to say after each Dodgers' World Series loss: WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR

So does your vote go to Skimpole, since you can't split?

Fair point.  On the strength of La Haine, then, I'd give Skimpole a split 15-round decision in triple overtime and about 18 innings worth of upstate returns.  That film is just so powerful that it has to be shown on TCM.  SansFin's and Lydecker's entries were so damn strong I hate to vote "against" them, but as the Brooklyn Eagle used to say after each Dodgers' World Series loss: WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR

Your high praise of my schedule just made my day.  Somehow, as I was putting this particular schedule together it really felt "right" to me and I am so glad you enjoyed it.  As for scheduling the abridged version of "Greed" as a "TCM Premiere" I admit I was not quite sure how to handle that one.  Wasn't sure if a different, much shorter version of a film which had been seen on TCM would be considered a "premiere" or not. Decided to play it safe and call it a premiere.  Ah, you live and learn.

Leaving town for the weekend so I am going to force myself to make a choice today.  Not easy but I have narrowed the field to 3.

Lydecker

I really feel that there is so much to like in all of these schedules.  However, for me, 3 really stood out: SanFins, obrienmundy and Barton Keyes.  My tie breaker has always been:  "Which schedule would I most enjoy watching?" And so, my vote goes to obrienmundy for Pre Code Saturday, salutes to Marie Dressler, Ernst Lubitsch, David Raksin, film noir and so much more.

Lydecker

It makes me happy to see a special place on the boards for our previous challenges. Makes me feel validated--they appreciate how much effort we put into these and value our opinions! Yay!

Here's how we stand so far in terms of voting:

SansFin - 2

Barton Keyes (Remy Orpen) - 2

Lydecker - 1

Kingrat - 1

Skimpole - 1

obrienmundy - 1

Still two and a half days left to vote!

As for scheduling the abridged version of "Greed" as a "TCM Premiere" I admit I was not quite sure how to handle that one.

Considering that they've shown the ~140-minute version before, there's no problem.

Personally, I prefer that than to the longer version. **** Erich von Stroheim for not making a 140-minute movie in the first place and forcing MGM to edit the movie.

Considering that they've shown the ~140-minute version before, there's no problem.

Personally, I prefer that than to the longer version. **** Erich von Stroheim for not making a 140-minute movie in the first place and forcing MGM to edit the movie.

I totally hear you.  4 hours??  I don't think so.  Had no idea the 140 version had seen the light of day on TCM.

Lydecker

Thank you so very much for the vote, lydecker! This is the highlight of the day so far! Thank you, thank you!

Thank you for a great schedule.  

I totally hear you.  4 hours??  I don't think so.  Had no idea the 140 version had seen the light of day on TCM.

Having seen the 241 minute version twice through, my only thought was that I wish that they'd preserved the original 462 minute version.  I can't imagine that you could cut it down to 140 minutes and preserve the full impact of the greater work.  Some movies (Lawrence of Arabia; Intolerance) drag on forever, but Greed is not one of them.

Having seen the 241 minute version twice through, my only thought was that I wish that they'd preserved the original 462 minute version.  I can't imagine that you could cut it down to 140 minutes and preserve the full impact of the greater work.  Some movies (Lawrence of Arabia; Intolerance) drag on forever, but Greed is not one of them.

Ha.  I totally agree about Lawrence of Arabia dragging on forever! My personal opinion but not too many folks are brave enough to say it out loud.

Lydecker

You all had great schedules! You're all to be congratulated. I'm sort of glad now I didn't have time to put one together -- the competition is really stiff.

Congrats, too, to LonesomePolecat for running a great challenge. 

And obrienmundy deserves special recognition for stepping up and helping when things went sideways. 

So many great schedules -- some with my favorite movies, some with movies I've never seen but want to, some really creative schedules, lots of foreign and silent films, which I Iove. In the end, it being almost impossible to choose from this exemplary field, I was swayed by one film. I've always felt that if there is one movie that has not been shown on TCM that cries out to be shown, it's The Day of the Locust.  So that clinched it for me -- my vote goes to kingrat, with congratulations and thanks to all the entrants!

Wow!  What a lot of great schedules to choose from.  I loved all of the different and varied takes on the Sunset Boulevard part of the Challenge.  Here are some of the highlights from each schedule.

Fedya: I loved your overall theme of 25.  I also liked your background person: Helen Hunt, Hairstylist, and laughed at the waxworks.

Kingrat:  Your deconstruction of Sunset Blvd in 5 ways (including the swimming pools) was great.  You are one of two people who programmed a SOTM that I most want to see on TCM: Merle Oberon, in your case.

B-Boop:  I loved your Beatles song theme.  Did you choose Barry Sullivan as SOTM because of Ed Sullivan?  You didn't mention it in your notes.  Roll Over Beethoven was very good.  On a personal note, I can follow your schedule better if you list the themes in the body of your schedule.  Great job!

Lydecker:  I LOVE the voice-over theme for your Sunset Blvd segment.  I also love the films Bought! and Big Brown Eyes.  You had some excellent quotes as your themes.

Speedracer5:  Love your Asta theme.  Asta is my favorite movie hound.  Twist of Lemmon, your Giant People theme for the Underground, Rising Star are all wonderful choices in your program.

Skimpole:  Sahara theme, Ice theme, Best Actresses of 1950, Despots…, all great stuff here.

Sansfin:  What a terrific overall theme for the week!  You make me want to seek out Saawariya.  LP as guest programmer of her own films is really good.  I really liked your spotlight of unconventional storytelling techniques.

Remy-Orpen:  Like your contract directors, Lewis Milestone War themes, SOTM Charles Boyer, H.C. Potter, and Saul Chaplin themes.  Lots of attention to lesser-know talent.

Obrienmundy:  I want TCM to have Sylvia Sidney as SOTM so badly.  Your world of noir is great-there's never enough noir for me.  I'm dying to see Too Late for Tears.  I'd love to see your evening of Marie Dressler.

Yikes-this is really tough for me.  All entrants should be extremely proud of their schedules.

It comes down to three but I can't choose three.  Ultimately, I have to choose Sansfin for programming a film that I've never seen and never heard of but really want to see: Saawariya.

Before sitting down to dinner and my usual Sunday night tv line-up, I wanted to stop by and congratulate all of the Program Challenge participants!

You are helping to keep the flame that Path40a started back in March 2006 (hard to believe it's been 8 years and 25 challenges!) and your ideas are all so creative and inspired!

That's what makes choosing one so difficult.

But, it must be done so that the Challenge can go on!

So, with many thanks to you all for keeping the flame lit and for being so creative and talented, I will make a choice-

I wish I could vote for all of you but since that's not possible, my vote goes to Remy-Orpen for all the lesser-known talent he spotlighted!

Congrats to ALL OF YOU!!!!

Wow!  What a lot of great schedules to choose from.  I loved all of the different and varied takes on the Sunset Boulevard part of the Challenge.  Here are some of the highlights from each schedule.

Speedracer5:  Love your Asta theme.  Asta is my favorite movie hound.  Twist of Lemmon, your Giant People theme for the Underground, Rising Star are all wonderful choices in your program.

Thank you so much for your kind words.  This was my first time participating in a programming challenge.  I look forward to participating in the next one whenever it rolls around.

Sansfin:  What a terrific overall theme for the week!  You make me want to seek out Saawariya.  LP as guest programmer of her own films is really good.  I really liked your spotlight of unconventional storytelling techniques.

I thank you for your kind words and I thank you very much for your vote.

Saawariya (2007) truly is a beautiful and touching movie. I hope that you are able to find it. It is available on Region 1 DVD with subtitles in English. There is English also in some dialogue in an interesting mix. 

There is a trailer-like tribute to it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la3ubHo-udM

And now the final tally:

Lydecker - 1

Skimpole - 1

obrienmundy - 1

Kingrat - 2

Barton Keyes (Remy Orpen) - 3

SansFin - 4

CONGRATULATIONS, SANSFIN!!!

I think I speak for all when I say all the schedules were amazing and TCM should hire you all right now.

SansFin, what a great job you did! Congrats once again on the win and please do the next challenge real soon (June would be nice). :)

You like me! You really like me! :)

I truly do hope that no person will take offence that I will be filing the forms soon to demand an official recount. 

All of the schedules are wonderful! I truly believe that the others are much better than mine. 

I thank you, LonesomePolecat, for creating this TCM Programming Challenge. You have been a wonderful host!

I thank obrienmundy also for their work during the time of trouble. It is this spirit of helpfulness which brings all of us closer together.

I have yet the main listing of rules from when I last hosted. I have several ideas to make a requirement for a Challenge. I can by these things begin TCM Programming Challenge #26 at nearly any time. I will appreciate input on preferences as to when it should be. 

I wish to again thank all here. I thank the sixteen people who stated that they would vote for me and I thank the nine people who stated that they did vote for me and I thank especially the four people who did truly vote for me. :)

• Like 1