Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

News: Kim Novak blasts bullies

TopBilled

Yes, BRAVO Kim. It's interesting that when the thread appeared here awhile ago about Kim, I wrote that Kim had every right to do what she pleased and that after her illness and fall from a horse it probably made her feel better to try to enhance her look. I was criticized for writing that by a poster that was new at that time( or banned before) who seems to be missing now AND a regular here. They said it had nothing to do with her right!

In her statement she said "IN MY OPINION A PERSON HAS A RIGHT TO LOOK AS GOOD AS THEY CAN, AND I FEEL BETTER. She also said "PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE YOU'RE LISTENING" I congratulate Kim for speaking out

• Like 1

Kim Novak addressed this subject at the TCM Film Festival this year. After the backlash t o her appearance at the Oscars, she actually considered NOT coming to the Film Festival. Luckily, she decided that the TCM  fans would not judge her or bully her and accept her as she is. She feels safe talking to TCM and its fans because of that.

She was very nervous prior to going on stage at the Oscars and admits to taking an anti-anxiety pill on an empty stomach. 

After the Oscars, she never expected the response she received about her looks and it caused her quite a bit of pain.

Here is a video from her introduction to Bell, Book and Candle at the Fest where she addresses the issue:

• Like 3

I'm glad that Kim isn't letting the needlers have the last word.  She has every right to present herself as she wishes and to defend her choices -- although she shouldn't have to defend something that's solely her own business. 

While the critics/bullies also have a right to express their opinions, why do they feel the need to be cruel to her?  How about spending their time on something constructive?  If they want to have an intelligent discussion about the pressure in Hollywood to have a certain kind of physical appearance, that could be enlightening, but just making nasty comments about someone's appearance doesn't serve any purpose other than to hurt that person's feelings.  They should be ashamed of themselves.

I've been very impressed with Kim Novak in her recent TCM appearances (below and at the prior festival).  She seems like a nice person, is very articulate, and discusses her experiences in the movie business in an intelligent, interesting way.  Her recent response to these unfortunate needlers makes me respect her all the more.

• Like 1

Been a huge fan of hers ever since watching her films for the first time during her day during the Summer Under The Stars a few years ago,. The way she stood up to the bullying just made me a bigger fan of hers. Don't think a whole lot of actresses can compare to her beauty when she was in her prime.

• Like 1

In the Guitar Player forum I belong to, a similar thread was started concerning a less than stellar concert given by blues icon B.B. King.  Reportedly, King's publicist came out with a statement that the problem was due to King, 88 years old and diabetic, was off his medication regimen due to the hustle of his tour schedule.

The concensus in the forum was that King owed NObody any apology.  He's 88, for cripe's sake!  He's a living legend that many would be satisfied to  see just come on stage and wave "hello".  Given his history of musical excellence and influence, and his age and health, nobody has any right to deny him an occasional off night.

My wife made a comment about Ms. Novak's appearance during the Oscars, and I reminded her Novak was 80 years old.  The Mrs. wasn't aware of Ms. Novak's age, and changed her tune.  "I should look as good at 80!" was her reply.

And, like B.B. King, given her history and place in motion picture history, she owes NObody any apologies for her appearance, nor ANY explanation.  I'd say she has every right to tell those naysayers what to do to a flying doughnut.

Sepiatone

• Like 3

I'm glad that Kim appears to be stronger than many at this forum assumed she was.

James,

I don't think many her assumed she wasn't strong. Most were reacting to other posters' reactions to her appearance.

Novak was very hurt by that  public reaction and seriously considered cancelling her appearance at the Film Festival this year.

Luckily for Festival fans, she is a strong woman who felt safe enough around them to know she wouldn't be judged so harshly and chose to attend.

And she chose to respond to the criticisms in that venue because she knew she was surrounded by people who valued her for who she is and for her film career.

Valuing the classic film stars for who they are and their careers is, after all, what we say we focus on when we post here about hoping someone like Doris Day or Lizabeth Scott will  appear on the channel or at the festival.

It should be no different with Kim Novak.

• Like 7

James,

I don't think many her assumed she wasn't strong. Most were reacting to other posters' reactions to her appearance.

Novak was very hurt by that  public reaction and seriously considered cancelling her appearance at the Film Festival this year.

Luckily for Festival fans, she is a strong woman who felt safe enough around them to know she wouldn't be judged so harshly and chose to attend.

And she chose to respond to the criticisms in that venue because she knew she was surrounded by people who valued her for who she is and for her film career.

Valuing the classic film stars for who they are and their careers is, after all, what we say we focus on when we post here about hoping someone like Doris Day or Lizabeth Scott will  appear on the channel or at the festival.

It should be no different with Kim Novak.

Well here is hoping that Day and Scott and others studio-era stars that are still with us will attend the festival or do interviews with RO (like the one Eva Maria Saint did which I felt was wonderful).

They deserve 100% support and from fans of TCM they will get it.

• Like 1

I am such an admirer of Kim Novak.  Bell, Book, and Candle is my favorite, with Picnic (that dance with William Holden!) close behind.  When she is on screen everyone else just sort of disappears.  And that voice...

It was such a thrill seeing her on the Academy Awards, for me the highlight of the show.  My only question--what does a legend have to do to merit a standing ovation?  Shame on the Academy!

• Like 1

"All glory is fleeting" for both the great and the small.  That is just a part of life.  While I'm sorry Kim Novak is not more recognized for the great and beautiful actress she was that is just life.  She can not escape it any more than the small such as myself or you and yours can.  Fame and fortune is just as fleeting as a glorious sunset.  Today's handsome and beautiful "greats" will suffer the same thing in the future.  No sense in lamenting what is a natural progression of history and life.  I'm just glad so many are captured forever on film and tape and modern electronics with modern preservation so that even in ignominy and death they still will live on.  Don't be so sad about perceived slights to the "greats" as that is just life as it was meant to be and is:  "All Glory is Fleeting".

Kim Novak deserves respect and honour from our society, and especially the movie-loving culture.

There is no excuse for her not receiving a standing ovation at this year's Oscars. While there may have been a few ignoramouses who were unaware of her contribution to film, there were also many there who knew full well her history in the movies.

I'm thinking in particular of Martin Scorsese, who is almost as famous for his dedication to preserving film history as he is as a great film director. If he had stood up when Kim appeared, and begun applauding, I believe others would have followed. Wonder why he didn't?

• Like 1

Kim Novak deserves respect and honour from our society, and especially the movie-loving culture.

There is no excuse for her not receiving a standing ovation at this year's Oscars. While there may have been a few ignoramouses who were unaware of her contribution to film, there were also many there who knew full well her history in the movies.

I'm thinking in particular of Martin Scorsese, who is almost as famous for his dedication to preserving film history as he is as a great film director. If he had stood up when Kim appeared, and begun applauding, I believe others would have followed. Wonder why he didn't?

No point in getting yourself into such a tizzy.  Life is what it is.  While Kim Novak certainly deserves respect from the movie-loving culture of a half century ago and as much as possible from our present vacuous entertainment culture, she certainly does not deserve respect and honor from society as a whole.  She was a great beauty not a person who developed a vaccine or or invented something of economic significance/enhancement or created a better society.  She did not better the world such as a Mother Teresa did.  She will remain famous and glorious to a declining many but she is what she was: a great beauty not an earthshaking stateswomen such as Thatcher.  Far better beauties and greater actresses are ill remembered.  Such is life.

Well, aren't you the philosophical one?

I wasn't "in a tizzy". I was just saying that it would have been the right and appropriate thing to do to give Kim Novak a standing ovation when she appeared at this year's Oscars ceremony.

And it's silly to compare film stars and artists in general (whether their gift is filmmaking, music, literature, painting, or whatever it might be) with those who develop a cure for a serious disease or provide care and aide for the very poor. 

It's a little insulting to suggest I think Kim Novak has "helped" the world in the same way Mother Teresa has. I wasn't saying anything of the sort.

...although come to think of it, I'd much rather hang out for an hour or so with Kim Novak than with Mother Teresa.

Of course the ALTERNATE tactic would have been to just make fun of herself and the whole plastic surgery thing like Joan Rivers always has!

(...of course THAT takes the ability of bein' able to LAUGH at one's self...an ability which seems rarer and rarer in modern society)

• Like 2

Of course the ALTERNATE tactic would have been to just make fun of herself and the whole plastic surgery thing like Joan Rivers always has!

(...of course THAT takes the ability of bein' able to LAUGH at one's self...an ability which seems rarer and rarer in modern society)

In any case, it doesn't appear as if Kim's venture back into the public eye is going to be a long-term thing.

I started the thread so obviously Kim Novak and what she does is important to me.  I have also defended her on previous threads.

But one thing I wish she would do, since she does seem good about admitting her mistakes, is to acknowledge her own vanity.  We all have a bit of vanity in us, and I think it's a form of self-empowerment when you say that yes your looks matter to you because you like to look good and want others to notice you looking good.  There is no harm in that, as long as you do not take it to the extreme.  So I wish she would say that she is in her 80s but doesn't want to look like she's in her 80s. People would certainly understand that and probably respect her even more.

The other thing that occurred to me as I read the article was that not long ago Donald Trump considered running for president, a la Charles Foster Kane.  Thank goodness that we do not have a bully taking up residence in the White House.  How can you seriously consider representing what is right by the American people if you are such a weak little man that you have to take to Twitter and taunt a semi-retired movie actress.  So a big thumbs down on him.

I started the thread so obviously Kim Novak and what she does is important to me.  I have also defended her on previous threads.

But one thing I wish she would do, since she does seem good about admitting her mistakes, is to acknowledge her own vanity.  We all have a bit of vanity in us, and I think it's a form of self-empowerment when you say that yes your looks matter to you because you like to look good and want others to notice you looking good.  There is no harm in that, as long as you do not take it to the extreme.  So I wish she would say that she is in her 80s but doesn't want to look like she's in her 80s. People would certainly understand that and probably respect her even more.

The other thing that occurred to me as I read the article was that not long ago Donald Trump considered running for president, a la Charles Foster Kane.  Thank goodness that we do not have a bully taking up residence in the White House.  How can you seriously consider representing what is right by the American people if you are such a weak little man that you have to take to Twitter and taunt a semi-retired movie actress.  So a big thumbs down on him.

TB,,

While she may not have addressed it in the Yahoo! article, she has talked about her plastic surgery and her reasons for it. She also is very aware that it didn't work out exactly as planned.

She tries not to dwell on it and prefers to talk about a myriad of other things but she has taken responsibility for making the decision.

As I've said previously, she is not the first person to be unhappy with a surgical outcome and she won't be the last.

But I see no point in those who would blame her for a decision she made for very personal reasons.

Roverrocks, you said she does not deserve respect and honor from society as a whole. I disagree. I think everyone, each and every one of us desrve respect from one another, wheather you are a famous movie star or bagging groceries. You also said that she did not better the world such as Mother Theresa or Margaret Thatcher. Maybe so, but she has bettered the world in her own way through her acting and now through her art, as all artists of all sorts have done. Movie stars, musicians, comedians, painters and sculptors have all brightened the world with their contributions, and each has brought much happiness to those who have enjoyed their work, be it acting, playing music, dancing, singing or painting. It is all very important and brings so much happiness to so many people, and to do that is no small achievement in this world.

Finance, you said it doesn't appear as if Kim's venture back into the public eye is going to be a long-term thing. I agree that it may seem that way at first, but who knows? Perhaps this is just the thing to spur her into continued action and to come back out into the public eye full force. You never know.

I hope that Kim knows in her heart that she has many thousands (probably millions) more supporters who respect, appreciate and love her for who she is, than she has detractors, and I hope she is aware of the joy and happiness she has brought to so many in this world through her movies and her art. No one can ever take that away from her.

• Like 1

My guess is that Kim doesn't have many detractors.   Those people that tweeted negative things about her after the Oscars forgot about her 5 minutes after their tweet.   The vast majority didn't know who she was in the first place,  made their tweet and then moved on to their next target. 

These are people that if they know of any studio-era stars at all it is only Monroe,  Dean,  Wayne, Audrey and a few others.

I assume there are few that have actually seen Kim Novak in a movie that have negative feelings toward her.

Roverrocks, you said she does not deserve respect and honor from society as a whole. I disagree. I think everyone, each and every one of us desrve respect from one another, wheather you are a famous movie star or bagging groceries. You also said that she did not better the world such as Mother Theresa or Margaret Thatcher. Maybe so, but she has bettered the world in her own way through her acting and now through her art, as all artists of all sorts have done. Movie stars, musicians, comedians, painters and sculptors have all brightened the world with their contributions, and each has brought much happiness to those who have enjoyed their work, be it acting, playing music, dancing, singing or painting. It is all very important and brings so much happiness to so many people, and to do that is no small achievement in this world.

I hope that Kim knows in her heart that she has many thousands (probably millions) more supporters who respect, appreciate and love her for who she is, than she has detractors, and I hope she is aware of the joy and happiness she has brought to so many in this world through her movies and her art. No one can ever take that away from her.

Yeah. Like he said. I wish I'd said that. Perfect summation of why artists are to be as much valued in this world as others who are venerated.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings