Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dr Zhivago and Richard Burton

auntieal

I was just watching Dr Zhivago and I am almost certain that Richard Burton has a brief cameo. Is there any place I can search to confirm this? I have looked in the cast listings on Wiki, IMBD, TCM and Rotten Tomatoes

I was just watching Dr Zhivago and I am almost certain that Richard Burton has a brief cameo. Is there any place I can search to confirm this? I have looked in the cast listings on Wiki, IMBD, TCM and Rotten Tomatoes

Can you say where--or when--he appears?

It is when Lara first becomes involved with Komarovsky. She goes to a church and speaks with a priest about forgiveness. I believe the priest is Burton. He has on very dark make-up and long hair but the voice is unmistakable.  And I have a remarkable ear for identifying voices. The dialog lasts no more than a minute or two.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

To Richard Kimble, no, Jose Nieto played the priest at the beginning graveside service, whose house the Gromykos were staying in after the burial of Yuriy's mother. Auntieal is speaking of the priest in Moscow who Larissa is confessing to. He is definitely a Welshman, and does sound very much like Richard Burton, but other than IMDB (who does not list this priest's role, or Burton, I wouldn't know how to find out, other than by asking Julie Christie herself.

I doubt that anyone, just looking at the scene without sound, would think it was Burton beneath that beard. It certainly doesn't look like him to me. Yes, there is  similarity in voice but I think that is all, just a similarity. IMO,  Richard Burton is definitely not in Doctor Zhivago.

Yes, that's extremely Burtonesque-sounding, all right. I'm sure everybody remembers Anthony Hopkins dubbing Olivier's voice for the restored "preferences" scene in Spartacus. I think I read Joan Plowright asked him to do it after she heard Hopkins doing an Olivier impersonation at a party.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings