Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
xxmass

The High And The Mighty

Hi all, I just read that AMC {American Movie Classic} Will be showing the 1954 film The High And The Mighty, in July. This John Wayne film classic has'nt been shown on tv in over 25 years. Of all the networks, it had to air on AMC.I personally refuse to watch AMC, Because of there format. I'll wager AMC will cut the hell out of this classic, as they do with most of the films they show. Is there any way TCM can also show this great film classic in the near future? I would love to see it unedited, and without commericals. Well that's all for now. I'll look foward to seeing what your opinions are on this subject. Sincerly, Larry

Fantasic news.I was'nt aware of that. Thanks so much Tokjat2000 for that great info, and quick reply. Larry

I'm not picking on you, xxmass, but it can't have been over 25 years since "The High and the Mighty" aired, as I distinctly remember staying home sick one day in early 1983 (in New England) to watch it! Still, maybe that was one of the last chances anyone had. ; )

TCM will have the rights to play it in 1/07; we tried to acquire the premiere, but AMC (because of their commercial inventory) was able to offer more (not just money, but promotional time for the dvd release). It's true, it hasn't been on television (or in any format) in many, many years and it's a great event for AMC to have.

Hi Ayresorchids, Well you caught me. A very good friend of mine told me 25 years, and then I read it in Direct TV and it said 2 decades. I stand corrected my friend. Thanks, Larry

tcmprogrammer, as much as I want to see "The High and the Mighty" again, I will not view it on AMC interrupted by all those commercials and logos.

If I don't get to see it on DVD, I'll wait until 2007 and catch it on TCM, where viewing is a pleasure.

Thank you

Mongo

TCM Programmer...thank you so much for letting us know when we will be able to see this film on TCM. I agree with Mongo...and I'll be very happy to wait until you can air it for us in 1/07...as it should be seen! You're doing a fantastic programming job for us from month to month, as always, and I thank you for this, too! :)ML

I too was happy to hear that "The High and the Mighty" will air are on TCM. I hope "Island in the Sky" and all the others in the package are included. Anyone, who's read some of my previous posts knows that I'd NEVER watch anything on AMC no matter how badly I wanted to see it.

However, why wait until 2007 to see them? Both "Mighty" and "Island". are being released on DVD on August 5th. There are a number sites on the net where you can buy them for about $13.

I know, you ask, why buy them when I can wait and see them for free? Good question. It's very important to support the release of classics on DVD. After all, if the studios that release them don't make money on them. They won't bother to release classics anymore.

I understand, that many viewers of TCM are of limited means and can't afford to buy movies. That's ok, watch them and enjoy them, I'm certainly not suggesting that only those who can pay should see classics.

Heres another idea. Even if you don't want to collect movies, buy one, watch it once and then donate to your local public library, they will appreciate that and the joy of classic films will spread to those who otherwise might not see them.

It's important that all of us who can, support the companies that support classics.

Hi Markfp2, I just wanted to thank you for your post. I think you came up with a wonderful idea of donating used films to a public library. Bravo my friend. Larry

Well...the long awaited movie "The High and the Mighty" aired on American Movie Classics, last week without much fanfare.

I tuned in to get a peek between the Laurel and Hardy films that were being aired on TCM that evening.

And true to form on AMC, I sat through 4 minutes of commercials and when the movie finally came back on it was bombarded with pop-ups and the logo remained on the screen throughout. UGH!

I will be sure to purchase the DVD in August and watch it the way it should be shown.

Mongo

To all on this topic, that ironically, I was going to

chime-in on last time I was online?

1st of all to tcmprogrammer, great going that TCM will be also airing this, the very first of the later to be known "Disaster Flix of the 1970's"-(TRIVIA: However, even 1980's hilarious "Airplane!" & it's creators said they were mostly influenced by a 1957 picture titled: "Zero Hour" Starring the ridiculously underrated: Sterling Hayden-(never 1 single A.M.P.A.S. nod?)

& I really think the folks over at AMC-(by the way, what does that stand for now? It was "American Movie Classics?" & I have a Western style oster to prove-it

Just curious if it's still that meaning)

They were correct in 1 regard. "High & the Mighty," is rarely aired on tv. But, I saw this picture on tv in the mid to late 1980's-(twice actually)

Were they just saying this, to generate more viewers/buzz, or what?

They firmly said "On Television for the first time in 20 Years!"

& it was a 1954 OSCAR contender-(C. Trevor & Jan Sterling, both up for s. actress gold & BD for William A. "Wild Bill" Wellman. & took home "The Golden Boy" for it's terrific & constant scoring by: *Dimitri Tiomkin-(1894-1979)-(though I personally think *"Waterfront"-(L. Bernstein) deserved that victory that yr as well)

But, to Mongo, don't you recall this being on tv in the 1980's?

Thank You

Back in the '50's I spent nearly every Saturday night at one of the local drive-in theatre's with my folks; on one such occasion I saw 'The High and the Mighty', (my one and only viewing). The thing I remembered most about it all these years was the theme song. The song was hauntingly memorable and left a big impression, but other than the fact it was a movie about an airplane in trouble, and John Wayne was the pilot, I remembered no details.

Despite all the "hype", out of curiosity I watched it on AMC. Turns out it was nothing more than the precursor to all disaster films (which I personally loathe), and my first instinct at age 6 was correct; the best thing about it then was the song, and after viewing it for the first time in fifty years, my opinion hasn't changed. I did however really enjoy Claire Trevor's performance this time around.

All in all it was an OK movie, even though it's in a genre of which I'm not fond, but one still wonders what all the "hoopla" was about. It was such an ensemble piece that John Wayne's screen time was probably the least of all his films.

When films go so long out of public view that they're only remembered by a few film "buffs", then their popular appeal is considerably diminished. It therefore behooves those in control to re-issue a film while there are still masses alive to remember and appreciate it.

I always dislike being one of the manipulated masses, and feel the manner in which this movie was re-issued is a prime example. Keeping it from view for an extended period of time, not because of any real reason, but simply to whet the appetite of the public, thereby manipulating the market, smacks of the crass and the vulgar. Certainly not a new concept, but in the case of this film, as with most things over-hyped, it was "much ado about nothing". The only way to counteract this and send a message to those who falsely inflate value, is to boycott the DVD and VHS sales, and make your own copy when it appears on TCM.

Gypsy

P.S. To myidolspencer, If it was last shown in the mid-eighties, it has been twenty years.

just a note to myidolspencer - we played the double-feature of "Airplane!" and "Zero Hour" a couple of years ago

The film was out of the public's viewing for so long because Michael Wayne was having it restored. It was not an easy restoration job as the elements were badly water damaged when water leaked into the family vault.

Michael Wayne had overseen the restoration of many of his father's films before falling ill with cancer himself. According to an article here in the LA Times, he very much wanted "The High and Mighty" to be available to the public but he wanted it to be the best looking and sounding print it could be.

Michael Wayne died of cancer a few years back while restoration was still continuing. His wife then picked up the mantle of having the film restored. She worked closely with the preservation company to be sure that the DVD set was everything her late husband and her late father-in-law would have wanted.

At least that's the story according to the LA Times.