Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SHANE airing as an Essentials Jr on August 31

HoldenIsHere

I can't find the listing on the TCM website, but I found an article discussing the next season of Essentials Jr and am happy to see that SHANE is scheduled to air on August 31.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/04/16/tcm-essentials-jr-hosted-by-bill-hader-to-premiere-sunday-june-2/254616/

Since this movie is airing during the Summer Under the Stars,  I would be so very happy if Brandon deWilde had a day devoted to him and if somehow TCM was able to get the rights to air BLUE DENIM, a 20th Century Fox film that has never been released on video.

Other movies that could be shown:

THE MEMBER OF THE WEDDING

GOOD-BYE, MY LADY

ALL FALL DOWN

IN HARM'S WAY 

NIGHT PASSAGE

THOSE CALLOWAYS (a Disney movie)

HUD (this movie would be a great one to air but like SHANE it's a Paramount movie so it might be difficult to get the rights  . . although I see that it did air as an Essential during the season with Carrie Fisher)

This is probably wishful thinking on my part since it would be easier to program a day of Alan Ladd,  Jean Arthur or Van Heflin movies.

But one can hope . .

Shane really is an "Essential", Holden, I agree. For adults or "juniors", it's a great film and a great western.

And yeah, it would be good if they could air Hud as well.

"I hate you, Shane !.......Shane !..........Shane, come baaaack......."

I'm not as familiar with the other titles you mention (except for the execrable "Member of the Wedding", a movie I can't stand. Although not because of Brandon deWilde, who's fine in it.)

I can't find the listing on the TCM website, but I found article discussing the next season of Essentials Jr and am happy to see that SHANE is scheduled to air on August 31.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/04/16/tcm-essentials-jr-hosted-by-bill-hader-to-premiere-sunday-june-2/254616/

this movie is airing during the Summer Under the Stars...

Glad to read that SHANE is returning to the TCM airwaves.  

Brandon also appeared in a western that I've never seen on TV. As far as I'm aware it was never released in any video format either.

It's the 1971 Burt Kennedy film "The Deserter". Along with Brandon, it features Woody Strode, Slim Pickens, Richard Crenna, John Houston, Chuck Connors, Patrick Wayne, Albert Salmi and Ian Bannen. Not a classic in any sense of the term, but it's interesting for the cast alone. Besides, I haven't seen it since '71.

I would be so very happy if Brandon deWilde had a day devoted to him

They could show the classic Thiller episode "Pigeons From Hell" (cited as one of the great moments in TV horror by no less a figure than Stephen King). And the notorious Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", which was not even aired during the original AHP network run.

Maybe even The Young Rebels episode where Brandon plays Nathan Hale.

Brandon also appeared in a western that I've never seen on TV. As far as I'm aware it was never released in any video format either.

It's the 1971 Burt Kennedy film "The Deserter". Along with Brandon, it features Woody Strode, Slim Pickens, Richard Crenna, John Houston, Chuck Connors, Patrick Wayne, Albert Salmi and Ian Bannen. Not a classic in any sense of the term, but it's interesting for the cast alone. Besides, I haven't seen it since '71.

Aside from Bekim Fehmiu in the lead it's not that bad, and as you point out the non-Fehmiu cast is impressive.

THE DESERTER is avaialble on DVD as part the 11 disc "Spaghetti Western 44-Movie Collection," but I don't think the movie is available individually on DVD.

Quiet everbody. Here I go...

"So you're Jack Wilson?"

"What's that mean to you, Shane?"

"I've heard about ya."

"Whatta ya've heard, Shane?"

(pause)

I've heard that you're a low-down yankee liarrr!"

(long pause)

"Prove it"

:)

post-41875-0-23756900-1398482570_thumb.jpg

Jose Cabiya, the husband of the younger sister of my mother, loved SHANE so much that he gave to the second of his five sons, Jose Luis Cabiya, the nickname Shane.

I also knew a Shane who was named after the movie character.  Unfortunately this one wound up as a d r u g g i e who's now serving time for a hit-and-run case that happened while he was s t o n e d out of his mind.  Maybe his mom should have gone with Cody or Bruno instead.  ;)

• 4 months later...

I

HUD (this movie would be a great one to air but like SHANE it's a Paramount movie so it might be difficult to get the rights  . . although I see that it did air as an Essential during the season with Carrie Fisher)

Hud has shown on TCM numerous times, though not recently.

I'm very much looking forward to this movie tomorrow.

american99_5_11.jpg

Last month the local theater in Bellingham, Wa. had a showing of Shane. I took my 2 sons and daughter-in-law and grand daughter [ 16]and grand son. He's 13, I sat next to him and watched his reaction to certain scenes { the bar fight with Ladd/Johnson, the shooting lesson among others}. His eyes never left the screen, when the film was over the audience started applauding, I don't think he ever saw that response before, as he looked around at the patrons clapping he started clapping also. He thought the film was great.. As did everyone else. It's great fun to introduce them  to something beside films with nothing but special effects...

Next Thursday, they're showing "Rio Bravo " and we'll be there...

Here are three more pretty fair Alan Ladd movies that'll be showing today, making up one fabulous 3-film DVD:

4170.jpg

12:45 PM - The Glass Key

poster%20this_gun_for_hire_post_3.jpg

10:15 PM - This Gun For Hire

_blue_dahlia_PDVD_000_poster_.jpg

Midnight - The Blue Dahlia

Why did the first movie scheduled today not include Alan Ladd?

I was wondering the same thing myself.  Ladd's name isn't listed in the movie's extended credits, and the film isn't listed in Ladd's complete filmography.  OTOH it was a good movie. :)

Why did the first movie scheduled today not include Alan Ladd?

Here's an excerpt from TCM's article on WILCAT BUS:

Wildcat Bus (1940)

This 1940 action film is typical of the many pictures in which Alan Ladd had small roles during the first decade of his career. Viewers have to look fast to catch him in most of these films. There are only a few, like Citizen Kane (1941) where you actually can tell he's in the cast. In fact, it's only the fan sites devoted to Ladd that include this film in his credits. It doesn't turn up on his pages on the Internet Movie Database or in the American Film Institute Library.

Wildcat Bus was one of the 13 features, two of them from RKO, in which he had small roles in 1940. At that time he only received decent roles when he worked for Poverty Row studios like Republic and Monogram, and sometimes not even then. None of them were leads, though some of his earlier films -- like Hitler -- Beast of Berlin (1939), made at PRC -- were re-issued with his name above the title after he shot to stardom in This Gun for Hire (1942).

Wildcat Bus (1940)

This 1940 action film is typical of the many pictures in which Alan Ladd had small roles during the first decade of his career. Viewers have to look fast to catch him in most of these films. There are only a few, like Citizen Kane (1941) where you actually can tell he's in the cast. In fact, it's only the fan sites devoted to Ladd that include this film in his credits. It doesn't turn up on his pages on the Internet Movie Database or in the American Film Institute Library.

I just watched the entire 64 minutes of Wildcat Bus, looking for Ladd in every scene from start to finish, including crowd scenes where I had to freeze the frame.  If he ever appeared on screen for even a second, I must have missed it. None of those sites that list him as being in the movie say what his part was or at what point he appeared.

Wildcat Bus (1940)

I just watched the entire 64 minutes of Wildcat Bus, looking for Ladd in every scene from start to finish, including crowd scenes where I had to freeze the frame.  If he ever appeared on screen for even a second, I must have missed it. None of those sites that list him as being in the movie say what his part was or at what point he appeared.

Yes, it would be helpful to know where to look for him in the movie. 

Wildcat Bus (1940)

I give you a lot of credit, Andy. I simply turned it off.

I also can't watch the one on now, The Man In The Net. 46 years old, and he looks that bad? Wikipedia says he died from drugs and alcohol, that's too bad. I wonder what led him down that path, he had everything, didn't he?

Well, there will always be his old films.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings