Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Mystery Surrounding the "Alternate" Ending of LAURA

I don't know which scene was planned; what I remember reading that.Preminger, who had put himself on the line to get Webb, was taken aback when Webb told him something like, "I don't know your Miss Tierney", and refused to do a standard test.

I don't think Clifton Webb was that far (attitude-wise) from Waldo Lydecker so this should be no shock to anyone.

Lydecker

Absolutely right!

I also like her in her white raincoat and hat when she "returns from the dead." However, even though McPherson tells her to

"take off those wet clothes," of course, there isn't, of course, a drop of rain on them.  Who would want a drenched Laura for her 

dramatic entrance??

Lydecker

I'll have to pay more attention to that. I always get the feeling she is drenched, otmr at.least her cost.is.

I'll have to pay more attention to that. I always get the feeling she is drenched, otmr at.least her coat.is.

The funny thing about that scene to me is the fact that the hat she is wearing is really kind of goofy...or it would look so on nearly everyone alive but Gene Tierney, who (of course) pulls it off impeccably.

You or I or almost anyone else would look like the gay Gordon's of Glouchester Fisherman in this hat, but Gene? Fabulous.

Laura_-_Gene_Tierney.jpg

I wonder if Oleg did it for her...

The funny thing about that scene to me is the fact that the hat she is wearing is really kind of goofy...or it would look so on nearly everyone alive but Gene Tierney, who (of course) pulls it off impeccably.

You or I or almost anyone else would look like the gay Gordon's of Glouchester Fisherman in this hat, but Gene? Fabulous.

Laura_-_Gene_Tierney.jpg

I agree only Gene Tierney could pull off this look!

"Shelby's no good but he's what I want.

I'm not a nice person Laura, and neither is he.

He knows I know he's - just what he is. ....He also knows that I don't care.

We belong together because we're both weak and can't seem to help it.

That's why I know he's capable of murder; he's like me."

still-of-gene-tierney-and-judith-anderso

• Like 4

Laura_-_Gene_Tierney.jpg

Laura_-_Gene_Tierney.jpg

Tierney's hat is a revival/update of the cloche, the ubiquitous 1920s helmet-like hat worn by women. I remember reading something a long time.ago that it resembled the cloches of 1928-29 (or something like that), in the wide brim it had. Elsewhere in LAURA, she wears another similar hat, in a dark color.

• Thanks 1

Tierney's hat is a revival/update of the cloche, the ubiquitous 1920s helmet-like hat worn by women. I remember reading something a long time.ago that it resembled the cloches of 1928-29 (or something like that), in the wide brim it had. Elsewhere in LAURA, she wears another similar hat, in a dark color.

Thank you! I love learning new things.

Slight goofiness aside, it looks practical as hell- covering one's ears is the best way to stay warm/dry in winter and it looks quite shady for summer.

If I do recall correctly, Gene does wear a genuinely bad hat in the scene where she finds Shelby and Anne dining together and she returns the cigarette case...lemme go check google images for that...

Lorna:

What about doing:  "Murder is my favorite crime."  I guess Otto Preminger was giving us a BIG

hint here.  Too bad most of us never got it until the second viewing!

Lydecker

"Nevermind the "Miss Clary" stuff:

My name's Bessie, and I'm a domestic, and I got nothin'to be ashamed of."

tumblr_mb2uccEJWo1rr0cpgo1_500.jpg

I know she's not Mercedes McCambridge, but the actor who plays Bessie reminds me of her.

I know she's not Mercedes McCambridge, but the actor who plays Bessie reminds me of her.

Dorothy Adams, one of the best uncredited actresses there was working. IMDB her, she's in a ton of stuff, much of it uncredited (she did Fallen Angel for Preminger and was in Sitting Pretty with Clifton Webb as a character intriguingly named "Miss Goul" but her scenes were cut.)

She is the sole female cast member of a WONDERFUL Fox film from 1949 called Down to the Sea in Ships about 19th century New England Whalers starring Lionel Barrymore and Richard Widmark- cannot recommend that one highly enough.

• Like 1

14cf55cdf8b08500cfaa506dc7e8a11e.jpg

I shall never forget the weekend Laura died.

A silver sun burned through the sky like a huge magnifying glass. It was the hottest Sunday in my recollection.

I felt as if I were the only human being left in New York. For with Laura's horrible death, I was alone. I, Waldo Lydecker, was the only one who really knew her, and I had just begun to write Laura's story when another of those detectives came to see me.

• Like 3

Dorothy Adams, one of the best uncredited actresses there was working. IMDB her, she's in a ton of stuff, much of it uncredited (she did Fallen Angel for Preminger and was in Sitting Pretty with Clifton Webb as a character intriguingly named "Miss Goul" but her scenes were cut.)

She is the sole female cast member of a WONDERFUL Fox film from 1949 called Down to the Sea in Ships about 19th century New England Whalers starring Lionel Barrymore and Richard Widmark- cannot recommend that one highly enough.

I think she is terrific.  Also had a decent sized role in So Proudly We Hail as one of the nurses working under Claudette Colbert.

Was married to another character actor, Byron Foulger, also had an actress daughter, Rachel Ames.

Lydecker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14cf55cdf8b08500cfaa506dc7e8a11e.jpg

I shall never forget the weekend Laura died.

A silver sun burned through the sky like a huge magnifying glass. It was the hottest Sunday in my recollection.

I felt as if I were the only human being left in New York. For with Laura's horrible death, I was alone. I, Waldo Lydecker, was the only one who really knew her, and I had just begun to write Laura's story when another of those detectives came to see me.

"A silver sun burned through the sky like a huge magnifying glass??"  Hmmm.  Methinks Waldo's prose was a little overripe!

Lydecker

Those aren't bad hats, by the way.  Laura had recently returned from Lubbock, infamous for throwing tortillas. 

Laura's travelmates were too embarrassed to tell her that she should take the tortillas off - some of them had initially tricked her into pridefully thinking this was Lubbock's version of Mardi Gras beads.  And when Laura responded with flashing, well, naturally, more tortillas were tossed. 

They would have been anyway.  It's Lubbock, after all.  It's what they do.  No one of course told Laura.  "They do have radio repair shops, by the way."  At this point, Laura, humiliated by the tortilla prank, refused to listen to any of them.  "I know another radio repair shop.  I'll go there when I leave for the long weekend."