Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Easter Parade (1948)

Kid Dabb

I just wanted to say I am continually blown away by Fred Astaire's routine about 80 min into the film - his all-white suit, straw hat and cane routine. What exactly am I speaking of..?

The combination of what appears to be support dancers' real-time performances in the background while Mr. Astaire continues throughout in the forefront IN-SLOW-MOTION and in perfect time with the rest of the background dancers. It's just a thing of beauty to watch.

It's scenes such as this and the revolving room that fascinate me every time I watch them.

I found a great clip of this:

I love that scene! It is one of my favorite dances in the film. 

"Easter Parade" was originally intended for Judy Garland and Gene Kelly.  Gene Kelly unfortunately broke his ankle prior to production.  As much as I love Gene Kelly, I'm so glad that Fred Astaire was able to be coaxed out of retirement to make this film.  He was fantastic and I can't imagine "Easter Parade" any other way.

Kid, agree Steppin Out With My Baby has always been one of my favorite dance routines on screen. The other that I've always loved is Ann Miller's tap routine for Shaken the Blues Away. I've watched Easter Parade every year since I was a kid. It was a family favorite and no matter how many dozens of times I see Fred, Judy and Ann perform in this truly happy, uplifting, wonderful film, just never tire of it. I also agree with Dougie on the We're A couple of Swells routine and Speedracers comment about the casting. I doubt any other combo of actors could have been more perfect ( as much as I love Gene and Cyd)Easter Parade is truly for me, pure entertainment

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

hello all (new kid on the block here....)

yes, I love the Astaire solo in EASTER PARADE ("Steppin' Out..).  As much as I love judy and Astaire, I was never a tremendous fan of EASTER PARADE.  It certainly has some good stuff in it, but I kinda wish it was directed by Vincente Minnelli as originally planned.  Somehow, Judy worked very well with him and the films he directed her in are all nothing less than terrific.  Still, it's nice to see my two favorite musical stars in the same film together.  Ann Miller shines in the film as well.

One of the things that impresses me the most every time I watch this movie is Judy's dancing ability.  I can't recall any other movie that shows off her dancing skills as much as this one.  She was so wonderful in it.

Terrence.

I think Easter Parade is one ofthe great MGM musicals. If anything it is underrated. There's one great musical number after another, wonderful performances(Judy was never better) and a more than passable script. My ONLY complaint is the dreadfully slow ballad, "Better Luck Next Time" Judy sings that comes just before the wonderful title song finale. That dreary song stops the picture dead in its tracks and IMHO is one of the few Irving Berlin songs that fails miserably. But otherwise, what a movie!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings