Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fifty-Fifty

Kid Dabb

Kid, with all due respect I think we all knew from the first clue you were after TO CATCH A THIEF and IT TAKES A THIEF, but I think we're also unsure of what to post as a follow question of our own- Is this thread about similiar names in films and tv shows, and is the saying part just a clue for your question this time, or part of what we're suppose to post when we post a question ?????????

The answer is an English saying - a phrase. Half of it comes from the film's title - half from the tv series title - hence Fifty-Fifty.  The titles you gave are correct, now rearrange the wording a bit and you will have the English phrase as the answer.

The thread title of Fifty-Fifty was created only for this specific question, but it could be utilized for other similar questions after this, I suppose.

I agree with lavender.  I think we all knew it was "It Takes A Thief To Catch A Thief", but the question was what to come back with for the next question.  I came up with one.

HBO Series About Julius Caesar  + Movie Where Greer Garson Plays A Librarian

By the way Kid, I thought that Fred Astaire's last move was "Ghost Story" in the early eighties.  

By the way Kid, I thought that Fred Astaire's last move was "Ghost Story" in the early eighties.  

You are correct, Miles. Once again, in my haste, I have posted the wrong information.

:)

Thank you

As far as what to pose as the next trivia - I would, as you have, go with whatever you want. I had no desire other than a single post so make what you will out of this. I can change the title if you wish.

-----------------------------------------------

This post has been heavily edited to make more sense

:P

Edited by Kid_Dabb

A classic movie has a farewell scene which is often cited as an example of a Hollywood tearjerker. It was parodied in the 1981 film Airplane!.

The couple in the scene played young sweethearts, but in real life they were married, though not happily.

Fifty for him - Fifty for her

Can you name the couple?

OK. Next up -

A screenwriter (who scripted several of Alfred Hitchcock's films in the 50s) and a best selling author crossed paths (figuratively) to produce a highly Award nominated (no wins) film based in a small New England town.

Fifty for the screenwriter - Fifty for the author

Can you name the screenwriter and the author?

Lionel Barrymore is a star in his own right, but in this film he was relegated to supporting actor status. When you know the three full fledged stars who (all three) starred this film you will realize why there was no room for him at the top.

This film had 5 writers. One of them being a top director in his own right, but not on this film - based on an original story by an aviator.. who was also one of our 5 writers.

The two male leads had an uneasy relationship in this project with one stealing scenes from the other who was considered a slightly bigger draw at the box office. The female lead is mostly famous for her who-done-its.

Fifty for one male lead - Fifty for the other

Can you name the two male leads?

Fred Astaire and On the Beach?

Hi,

This was the film I was hinting at, but I erred in that it was not his last.

That would be Ghost Story (1981).

Sex and the City?

Not Sex in the City. The TV series was It Takes a Thief, starring Robert Wagner. Fred Astaire played his father and had many episodes to himself.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings