Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jael

Has anyone seen "Rondezvous", with William Powell and Rosalind Russell?

What a wonderful  film you have missed if you haven't seen "Rendezvous"  with William Powell and Rosalind Russell!  You really must watch it at least twice to get all of the wonderful ways that Powell and Russell work together so beautifully.   And what a great comedy this is!  It was filmed in 1935, so this is a very early work of theirs, but PLEASE  if any of you agree that this is a forgotten masterpiece, let me know. I would love to discuss it..  :) 

I recorded it, can't wait to watch, probably within a few days.

I've never heard of it. Tell us about it.

Here's a brief trailer:

Well, while Russell was fairly new, Powell had been around for a few years, and had become a huge star the year before, with THE THIN MAN. In fact, this film (which I havent seen in many years but enjoyed) had been meant as a reunion of the stars of TTM, Powell and Myrna Loy, one of many such projects planned for them by MGM. I think Loy went on suspension around this time for more money, so it was given to Rosalind. Roz would comment that pre stardom, many of the movies she got she inherited from Loy, and would even give her credit for helping her become established.

Roz would comment that pre stardom, many of the movies she got she inherited from Loy, and would even give her credit for helping her become established.         

I absolutely love Russell's story about joking with Loy at a party how she'd wind up cast in all of Loy's rejected scripts.  They were neighbors, and Russell said Loy would wait until dark and pitch the unwanted scripts down the hill, where they'd roll down to Russell's doorstep.  Loy replied, "You must have been out the night I rolled you Parnell [the flop with Clark Gable]."

At any rate, I'll admit I spend part of Rendezvous wishing it was, in fact, Myrna Loy in the role, because I truly can't get enough of them together; I'd probably literally watch them conduct a reading of the phone book.  But when I let that go, I enjoy it.

• Like 1

I believe that William Powell (my #1 favorite of all actors) worked rather well with most of his leading ladies.

Not sure when you saw it, Jael, but I missed it.

For anyone else who missed it, it will be reshown on July 18th at 6:00pm.

Rendezvous

PLAYING ON TCM: 18-Jul-14 06:00 PM

Cast: William Powell, Rosalind Russell, Binnie Barnes.
Dir: William K. Howard.
Details: Suspense/Mystery | Black and White | 94 mins.

More:

http://www.rozrussell.com/2013/11/rendezvous-1935.html

• Like 1

No one was better with William Powell than Myrna Loy, but I love seeing my girl Roz acting with William Powell. I prefer her in "smarter" roles, but I think Rendezvous is cute and funny!

I recorded Rendezvous way back in 2010 and just watched it for the first time after reading this thread.  And I'm glad I did.  The plot was good enough for what seemed kind of like a programmer, and though this wasn't Roz's best role by a long shot, just seeing her in any movie is always a treat.  And I loved that elaborate yet primitive "intelligence room", with their alphabetical decoder circles that looked like giant inserts from the 1969 Baseball Encyclopedia.  This was about the highest level of technical wizardry my feeble brain could ever comprehend, and I'm glad they kept to the basics.

As for the plot:  Maybe if our Army intelligence hadn't wasted so much time going after "Bolsheviks" during WW 1, they might have caught on to a few of those German agents operating right under their noses. ;)

P. S.  This wouldn't have been that good a role for Myrna Loy, not after seeing her in the debonair Nora Charles role just one year earlier.  The Roz of 1935 was much better suited for a part like this.

• Like 2

Andy, Iagree with what you said about Myrna Loy. I always try to imagine Myrna in this role, but I just can't! Haha

• Like 1

Andy, Iagree with what you said about Myrna Loy. I always try to imagine Myrna in this role, but I just can't! Haha

Both Myrna and Roz were first rate dramatic actresses, as you can see in The Best Years of Our Lives and the vastly underrated classic Roughly Speaking, which I am SO glad TCM makes a point of showing at least once a year.* And both were among the better comediennes of all time.

But within those comic roles, there's a divergence.  Loy's comedic touch was defined by the razor-sharp, sophisticated Nora Charles character, who so perfectly complemented William Powell's equally debonair Nick.  Whereas while Russell's best comic characters often could also give as well as take (His Girl Friday and The Women), there was usually at least an underlying zaniness or even lighter than air quality about them (as in Rendezvous) that would've seemed totally incongruous for Myrna.  I can't exactly imagine a disheveled  Loy sprawled in a clothes hamper while Joan Crawford mocks her with "Do come again, Mrs. Prowler," whereas that was one of Roz's finest comic moments.

*Some men fantasize about Marilyn Monroe.  If I were single, I'd be looking for a woman just like Rosalind Russell's Louise Randall.

• Like 1

I try to find all the films I can with William Powell in them, so when I even see his name in the description, I program it into my DVR.  That's the way I found "Rondezvous".  Don't you wish we could have seen him as a young actor in the "Silent's" in his young career.  I  wish they had been "talkies" :)   Rosalind was perfect in this part, so funny!  I have yet to see a film where "Powell" wasn't perfect in it. They were so sweet and 'funny' together in this.   Of course, I adore every film with Powell and Loy~ they are at the top of all on screen couples in my mind.

I try to find all the films I can with William Powell in them, so when I even see his name in the description, I program it into my DVR.  That's the way I found "Rondezvous".  Don't you wish we could have seen him as a young actor in the "Silent's" in his young career

Powell was in a 1922 silent version of Sherlock Holmes that pops up occasionally on TCM.  It may or may not have him listed among the first three actors, but he's in there.

Since some of my favorite classic actors spent years in the early days of their careers playing small parts, I can't rely on searching via their names; I have hard copy filmographies of my favorites and compare those lists to TCM's schedule each month, which has let me catch quite a few films I'd have missed otherwise.

William Powell's  first screen role was in  SHERLOCK HOLMES (1922).  John Barrymore is Holmes. Powell's supporting  role is rather substantial and he's easily recognized. The film was restored and is in nice condition.  TCM has run it several times (like most silents, at late night hours).

• Like 1

William Powell's  first screen role was in  SHERLOCK HOLMES (1922).  John Barrymore is Holmes. Powell's supporting  role is rather substantial and he's easily recognized. The film was restored and is in nice condition.  TCM has run it several times (like most silents, at late night hours).

I would LOVE to see him in this "Silent".  If ever I should see that it is going to run again, I will be sure to set my DVR.  I think very often how wonderful it would have been to see some of my favorite stars, in 'their' Silent days.  We have missed a lot, but thank goodness for those who have cared enough to restore these 'gems'.  Thank you mmroberts for taking the time to write. :)