Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Things are screwed up after "improvements"

Vertigo2

I think the TCM board is much less inviting now. One goes to General Discussion and there's a long list of threads, but the newest posts no longer are at the top. I guess "Why are there no Beatles films on TCM" will forever now be at the top of the list. One can go pages into the forum and find a post entered that day. Within the threads itself I don't see "go to original post" tab now, and of course TCM board ( idiotically) gives the newest post first within the thread so there is no convenient way to read any one thread first post to last. I now tend to glance through the forums,but the same threads are always prominent, so I usually leave the board after a few minutes and then spend my time instead on the beautifully organized Broadway Message Board.

I think the TCM board is much less inviting now. One goes to General Discussion and there's a long list of threads, but the newest posts no longer are at the top. I guess "Why are there no Beatles films on TCM" will forever now be at the top of the list. One can go pages into the forum and find a post entered that day. Within the threads itself I don't see "go to original post" tab now, and of course TCM board ( idiotically) gives the newest post first within the thread so there is no convenient way to read any one thread first post to last. I now tend to glance through the forums,but the same threads are always prominent, so I usually leave the board after a few minutes and then spend my time instead on the beautifully organized Broadway Message Board.

You too, huh?

Yeah...well...HERE'S what's drivin' ME crazy around here lately....

I can't for the life o' me seem to get rid of this darn Peter Rugolo-composed earworm which I hear in my head ever single time I see Richard Kimble's permanent little tagline graphic down there!!!!!

(...anybody got a cure for THAT???!!!) 

LOL

;)

One goes to General Discussion and there's a long list of threads, but the newest posts no longer are at the top. 

I believe that is user-defined. There is a green bar above the list of threads and within that green bar are the options for viewing. The first option is: "Recently Updated." The last option is: "Custom" which gives a drop-down menu with several options. I feel this one is dangerous because a person can play with it to find a better-than-default setting and it will retain what they last use even if they find it less desirable than the default. It is important to remember to un-check the: "Remember Filters" box at the bottom of the menu if you do not find a desirable alternative.

A different forum which I visit has new software also. It is very strange in the number of options available. A poster may use various fonts and font sizes and font colors in their post but the reader has the option also to apply filters so that the reader can at all times see one poster's posts as Black Arial and a different poster's posts as Red Courier and etc.. It has a moderator option also that when a thread begins to go Off-Topic it can be split so that the On-Topic part remains on the original board and from the point where it goes Off-Topic is moved to BackFence which is that forum's Off-Topic Chit-Chat board. 

What I'm dealing with is that once I click on "Back to General Discussions", I wind up on a page that has threads dating back to 2003! I have to click on "Recently Updated" to get back to the current threads.  There have been complaints in other threads about other problems.  There are things I can't do here anymore that I was able to before the "improvements".  Some of them require me to go through several hoops just to do things I could just DO before.

SOMEbody's nephew at TCM really screwed the pooch on this one.

Sepiatone

SEPIATONE SAID: What I'm dealing with is that once I click on "Back to General Discussions", I wind up on a page that has threads dating back to 2003! I have to click on "Recently Updated" to get back to the current threads.

At the top of this thread, to the right of the SEARCH feature, to

the right of this thread's title, see:

VIEW NEW CONTENT

Click on that and see if you can click on:

CONTENT I HAVE NOT READ

or:

NEW SINCE MY LAST VISIT

or:

PAST 24 HOURS

Try reading a thread with lots of replies from the beginning. Just try. I dare ya.

You mean from the first post ever posted on a thread, then you want to read the whole thread, moving in the forward direction?

To read the first post ever posted, click on the small number listing the number of pages. If there are a lot of pages, click on the little right arrow after the last little number, and that will take you back to the original page of that thread, to what we call the OP, the Original Post.

Try reading a thread with lots of replies from the beginning.

Try finding the latest post when there are thousands of pages of pictures. Go ahead. I dare ya.

Last-post-first for threads STINKS

How hard is it to click on this in a thread?

I think the new boards are great. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last-post-first for threads STINKS

How hard is it to click on this in a thread?

The Arrow is not there for threads with under 5 pages

Since they have an arrow that changes the post order on a thread, can they not give you the option to have the post order changed throughout the board, and let this be your default setting?

I sit here bewildered reading the comments by a few who can't see the forest for the trees. I don't understand what the problem here is.

Is it the case with some of you that you want all the threads to start at the beginning of the thread, that is every thread on each forum should start with the first post listed first and then proceed "down" the page until you get to the latest post?

I would think you'd want to read the latest post first. That is the way I think most message boards work. Maybe I am wrong, but I would rather read the latest post listed and if need be I can always go back to the future so to speak to see which ever post was listed first or any other post before the latest post.

The latest upgrade of the message boards are in my opinion the best they probably could do. You are NEVER EVER going to satisfy everyone who posts here. But I think they have done a masterful job at creating a very inviting place to come to write about and converse with others about what we like to do the most.

• Like 1

... I would think you'd want to read the latest post first. That is the way I think most message boards work..

Not to argue.. nearly all message boards I frequent have their default set at first post first - chronological order. Most of these boards have a user setting to reverse this order - some do not, but will and have added it when requested.

My preference is latest post first. I don't consider this the right way.. just my way. I'm a skimmer. I read the latest day's or hour's posts, looking backward only when there is a reference or connection made.

:P

Everybody is right!

That's why they call them preferences

I would think you'd want to read the latest post first. That is the way I think most message boards work.

IMDb, Free Republic, Democratic Underground, FlyerTalk (1.3 million threads), Digital Spy (1.7 million threads), City Data (1.7 million threads), Bodybuilding.com (5.7 million threads) are all oldest-post first.

Boy, there are so many threads about the board changes, I have my pick of which one to post this COMPLAINT on.

What's up with the continuance of the spam problem? I was hoping that, with all the new tech, super duper new system, the spammers would be kept out before they ever got in.

But I guess there's no stopping the determination of the smambots. I'm not sure why it bothers me so much. Maybe because it's just so stupid, I feel insulted that it even exists on the boards here, even if it's for just half an hour or so.

Plus, the spammer always posts 3 threads. Three in a row. And they always have a weird user name, with a very weird thread title.

Don't they have to register, like everybody else? Can't they be detected at the time they register?

It's ironic ( am I using that word the right way, tracey?) that these idiots can get in to this site, with their rubbishy time-wasting space-wasting "posts", but a lot of people who'd like to register and participate here legitimately can't get in.

Including, I believe, Canadians. Or at least, Canadians who would be new here.

What's up with that, Board Admin?

Moderators, Lynn...why, in the Big Change, were the TCM techies unable to set this up in a way that keeps the spambots out?

• Like 1

AND ANOTHER THING !!

How come, even after I report the spam as spam, it looks like it hasn't been reported?

In the old system, if I reported one of those stupid useless time wasting spam threads as spam, it would show as "reported" almost immediately.

I know this, because sometimes, just out of curiosity, I'd click the "report" button again, and the message would come up "This has already been reported" or something like that.

But -again, I did this just to see - now, if I report the spam thread, and then, just to see what's what, I click "report" again, I get no such message. Which gives me no confidence that the stupid insulting useless time wasting spam has been reported.

I know, why am I so angry about all this? I don't know. I hardly ever get angry at other posters here, even if they disagree with me or are rude to me (but actually, that hardly ever happens.) Annoyed on occasion, maybe. Sometimes exasperated. But not foaming mad.

Only the stupid useless insulting spam posts affect me that way. Foaming mad, I mean.

Modertors, I expect an answer about this. Or I'll be foaming mad.

Not to argue.. nearly all message boards I frequent have their default set at first post first - chronological order. 

I have been told that it is possible to tell the age of bb software by certain defaults. Whether the order is oldest-first or newest-first is one of them.

Old software has oldest-first. This is because it was what the programmers believed that users would want.

New software has newest-first. This is because it is what the majority of users actually want.

I have seen software so very old that it is oldest-first and there is no user option to change it to newest-first. 

This is the first software which I have seen which is newest-first and there is no user option to change it to oldest-first.

I understand why this is newest-first.

I do not understand why a user can not select oldest-first as a preference.

Well, truth be told here, MY preference would be for those posts which I could most easily play off of and interject my nonsensical crap would come up first!

(...I mean I MAY be retired and have far too much free time on my hands now days, but still, somethin' like THAT would sure come in mighty handy around here!)

Boy, there are so many threads about the board changes, I have my pick of which one to post this COMPLAINT on.

What's up with the continuance of the spam problem? I was hoping that, with all the new tech, super duper new system, the spammers would be kept out before they ever got in.

But I guess there's no stopping the determination of the smambots. I'm not sure why it bothers me so much. Maybe because it's just so stupid, I feel insulted that it even exists on the boards here, even if it's for just half an hour or so.

Plus, the spammer always posts 3 threads. Three in a row. And they always have a weird user name, with a very weird thread title.

Don't they have to register, like everybody else? Can't they be detected at the time they register?

It's ironic ( am I using that word the right way, tracey?) that these idiots can get in to this site, with their rubbishy time-wasting space-wasting "posts", but a lot of people who'd like to register and participate here legitimately can't get in.

Moderators, Lynn...why, in the Big Change, were the TCM techies unable to set this up in a way that keeps the spambots out?

Apparently, many members find certain posts even more objectionable than spam. Really weird spam sometimes brightens my day.

MissW-

As far as I know, public forums are subjected to spammers just as everyone else is in life.  It is not always easy to combat them 

If you see a spam thread, the best thing to do is use the "Report" button. The reports are sent to the Mods and are dealt with.

Sorry they make you so upset.

And since you are back to posting as MissW2, does this mean that you have retired Edith?

I'm confused. Haven't the most recent posts always appeared first on a thread?

Yes they have, finance. However, the suggestion here is that some prefer how other websites program their forums, which is that the highest numbered pages listed for each thread and the latest postings once opened to a thread are to be found at the bottom of each page. And once opened to the last page, it's(or can be) programmed so that your screen will later present the first posting you haven't yet read in each thread.

The other website I frequent about Triumph motorcycles is programmed in this manner.

(...and yeah, I'm just as big a goofball over there too)

Edited by Dargo

I have been told that it is possible to tell the age of bb software by certain defaults. Whether the order is oldest-first or newest-first is one of them.

Old software has oldest-first. This is because it was what the programmers believed that users would want.

New software has newest-first. This is because it is what the majority of users actually want.

I have seen software so very old that it is oldest-first and there is no user option to change it to newest-first. 

This is the first software which I have seen which is newest-first and there is no user option to change it to oldest-first.

I understand why this is newest-first.

I do not understand why a user can not select oldest-first as a preference.

TCMWeb is aware of the problem and very aware that everyone would like this function changed or to have the ability to choose which way they want to read threads.

Their initial focus was on getting the boards migrated, posters who had difficulties with the re-registration process and answering a bevy of questions about the new boards.

As the initial problems with the boards and registration dies down, they are hoping to be able to come up with a fix.

Here's hoping......

Yes they have, finance. However, the suggestion here is that some prefer how other websites program their forums, which is that the highest number pages listed for each thread are where the newest posts are to be found.

The other website I frequent about Triumph motorcycles is programmed in this manner.

(...and yeah, I'm just as big a goofball over there too)

I know. I'm also on the Triumph Motorcycle website. My user name over there is Ultimate Gearhead. I don't know anything about motorcycles, but lack of knowledge hasn't stood in my way over here either.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings