Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
therealfuster

Your favorite practitioner of Nymphomania on film -

can you name that woman?

Now I can't rightly say man, because that would be about satyrs, which is a whole different thing, and Hollywood films concentrate much more on the distaff half in these compromising matters.

In truth, anyone with a smattering of knowledge from Masters and Johnson knows, that Hollywood's take on ****, is not really very accurate. Just like their overusage of the patented Amnesia storyline, to get where they want to go in the script, Tinseltown producers use the Nymphomaniac hook, when they want to add some spice to a film, ignoring the real, and rather unpleasant and chronic condition of such folk who suffer from a somewhat debilitating condition, but I digress.

For me, one of the best portrayals of **** on film [at least by Hollywood standards] is by Maureen Stapleton in the film, "Lonelyhearts" from 1958. This film is based on a novel by writer, Nathanael West, who also penned one of the most downbeat Hollywood exposes ever put on paper, "The Day of the Locust". Stapleton puts a proper twist on her obsessive character who is smitten with Montgomery Clift, to such distraction...that he almost gets offed by her hubby in the film, as played by Frank Maxwell.

Interestingly, at least to me, Maxwell [who was in another famous film in the Nymphomaniac category; see if you can name it!] was married at one time to actress, Maxine Stuart, who did the incredible voice for Janet Tyler in that famous episode of Twilight Zone, later known as "The Eye of the Beholder".

The movie "Lonelyhearts" also benefits by some fine dark sided cinematography by ace, John Alton, and also starred Robert Ryan, Myrna Loy, Dolores Hart, and Jackie Coogan. TCM showed this film recently and it is a well done expose also of the newspaper business.

So...who's your favorite Nymphomaniac on screen, post or pre-code and don't be embarrassed, it has been a staple in Hollywood films since time immemorial.

I don't know if I could call her my "favorite" in this type of roles, but Dorothy Malone in "Written on the Wind", comes to my mind. She gave a great interpretation in that film and won a well deserved Oscar, if I'm not wrong.

excellent in that film, Feaito.

I do enjoy Malone's most breezy and tortured portrait, and the film as a whole has so many attributes, great direction by Sirk, melodramatic though it may be, a great cast, and that wonderful theme song at the beginining with the leaves swirling around the mansion.

Oh, and it has Grant Williams as the cute garage guy.

Thanks for the Dorothy vote!

The way Martha Vickers' Carmen Sternwood chews on her hair while giving Bogart the once-over (!) in The Big Sleep provides an indication of her frame-of-mind, fully realized a few scenes later, and certainly suggests she could be an attractive candidate.

show this one recently?

I seem to remember seeing it and was mesmerized by the costumes and decor.

Excellent choice and I shall now want to resee it to get more of a handle on Myrna's character, in view of your fine description of her. As I'm sure you know [but I didn't] this is a film according to IMDb which has many missing minutes, even on the DVD.

Thanks!

> How about man hungry Myrna Loy as Valentine in LOVE

> ME TONIGHT? (Paramount 1932)?

YES! When someone takes ill and Valentine is asked with alarm, "Could you go for a doctor?" she answers, "Oh, yes, send him in."

Yes, TCM just showed LOVE ME TONIGHT recently. I sure didn't know about the missing minutes, however!

This is my favorite pre-MGM Jeanette MacDonald movie -- but it is a delight in every regard.

Myrna didn't have too much to do in the film -- but she was perfect in her few scenes. And that "Could you go for a doctor" line -- and her response "Bring him right in!" was priceless! They sure don't make 'em like that anymore!

Much of Claire Bloom's performance as a nymphomanic in George Cukor's controversial 1962 film THE CHAMPMAN REPORT was cut by the censors. Some of the other stars performances suffered by having their footage cut too. For some reason this all star WB film (Jane Fonda, Glynis Johns, Shelley Winters) has completely vanished. Cukor claimed that the censors all but ruined his film. Ironically the next year Bloom played a lesbian in Robert Wise's classic THE HAUNTING. This time more of her footage landed on the cutting room floor.

Martha Vickers is the quintessential nymphomaniac on film, and thanks for mentioning her.

Carmen Sternwood is just the icing on the cake, in that film!

Thanks!

That movie has Ray Danton in it too, plus guys who later became more famous like Jack Cassidy, Chad Everett and Alex Cord. No, I had not remembered the last three being in it, but just refreshed my mind at IMDb.

I simply love those late Fifties or early Sixties exposes on film, of the secret sex lives of those WASPY American couples in suburbia of the Fabulous Fifties, and of the very Douglas Sirk archetypes. Your mentioning of "The Chapman Report" made me think of Kim Novak in that film with Kirk Douglas called "Strangers When We Meet" wherein they are allusions to Kim maybe being a bit like Claire Bloom.

I sure would like to see all of Cukor's footage of Bloom and thanks for reminding us of that film!

Hi,

I'm not sure if I have the right movie, but I seem to recall Mercedes McCambridge as the nymphomaniacal wife of a preacher in "Angel Baby"....

She has the hots for George Hamilton and tries to convince him that they'll be 'saved' if they 'do it'!!!!

I remember going to the premier and seeing it just this once and then it disappeared..... I think that's the name of the film??

Larry

therealfuster - Glad you approved of my choice and you're welcome. Ever since I first saw The Big Sleep I've never forgotten the way she dropped into Bogart's arms when she met him in the foyer of the Sternwood house. And we're talking about Bogart here! He's not exactly Tyrone Power. The film is littered with outrageous innuendo, maybe moreso than any other film of the period. Hawks was such a naughty man! I recall when it was originally issued on VHS in Warner's Hollywood Gold series, it was rated R on the video label. Never saw that before with an oldie. The DVD, interestingly enough, is not rated and the Canadian rating is 14A. Times change so fast.