Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Larry Edmunds Bookshop has been in business for over 70 years.

With an inventory of over 500,000 movie photographs, 6,000 original movie posters and 20,000 motion picture and theater books.

If you are looking for an out of print book - they may have it!

323-463-3273 - info@larryedmunds.com;

Stop by when in the area at

6644 Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90028

Hours:  Monday through Friday 10:00 am- 5:30 pm

Saturday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

Sunday:  12:00 pm - 5:30 pm

See more on the website http://larryedmunds.com/

Learn more about the celebrity book signing events on Larry Edmunds facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry-Edmunds-Bookshop/260057748079?ref=ts

Join us next Thursday as we laugh it up with Dave Barry on the Westside. Always enjoy an evening at the William Turner Gallery!

Thursday, May 1, 2014-(Reception 6:30-7:30 pm)8:00 pm

An Evening with Dave Barry

YOU CAN DATE BOYS WHEN YOU’RE FORTY:

Dave Barry on Parenting and Other Topics He Knows Very Little About

William Turner Gallery /Bergamot Station Arts Center - 2525 Michigan Avenue,Santa Monica, CA 90404

PURCHASE TICKETS-$20 General Admission/$45 Includes Barry’s book + Reserved seat/$95 Includes pre-reception + Barry’s book + Reserved Seat

http://livetalksla.org/

Dave Barry is the author of more than thirty books, including such national bestsellers as the nonfiction I’ll Mature When I’m Dead, Dave Barry’s Money Secrets, Dave Barry Turns 50, and Dave Barry’s Guide to Guys, as well as the novels Insane City, Tricky Business, Big Trouble, Lunatics (with Alan Zweibel), and his Peter Pan prequels (with Ridley Pearson).  Two of his books have been made into movies (Big Trouble and Dave Barry’s Guide to Guys), and a play based on his first Peter Pan book, Peter and the Starcatcher, is currently on a national tour after winning five Tony Awards on Broadway. For a while, his life was even a television series, Dave’s World.  He plays guitar in the all-author rock band, The Rock Bottom Remainders. For many years he wrote a nationally syndicated humor column, which won a Pulitzer Prize for Commentary.

Dave Barry’s new book is a brilliantly funny exploration of the twin mysteries of parenthood and families. In his New York Times–bestselling I’ll Mature When I’m Dead, Dave Barry embarked on the treacherous seas of adulthood, to hilarious results. What comes next? Parenthood, of course, and families.

In uproarious, brand-new pieces, Barry tackles everything from family trips, bat mitzvah parties and dating (he’s serious about that title: “When my daughter can legally commence dating—February 24, 2040—I intend to monitor her closely, even if I am deceased”) to funeral instructions (“I would like my eulogy to be given by William Shatner”), the differences between male and female friendships, the deeper meaning of Fifty Shades of Grey, and a father’s ultimate sacrifice: accompanying his daughter to a Justin Bieber concert (“It turns out that the noise teenaged girls make to express happiness is the same noise they would make if their feet were being gnawed off by badgers”).

Let’s face it: families not only enrich our lives every day, they drive us completely around the bend. Thank goodness we have Dave Barry as our guide!

Author-photo-Credit-Daniel-Portnoy-200x3

Right, Andy (or is that Arnold?)

I'm all for book shops. Sadly, they're becoming an endangered species. I agree, most self-promotion threads I regard as spam, but anything that promotes books and book shops is fine with me.

Good luck, JLH ! (Or Larry Edmunds, if he's still around.)

I recently read up a bit on LE and actually was considering starting a thread about the bookstore, which I know only by rep (I've never been to California).

Larry Edmunds was born Lawrence O’Connell Edmunds in North Carolina on March 13th, 1906.  He migrated to Hollywood at some point and landed a job working for bookseller Stanley Rose.  He then branched out on his own in 1938 and opened his namesake bookshop at 1603 North Cahuenga Boulevard.  And while the place did not specialize in movie-related publications at the time, it became a huge hit with the Hollywood set and Larry struck up a friendship with several of his famous patrons, including W.C. Fields, Basil Rathbone, William Faulkner, and John, Ethel and Lionel Barrymore.  Rumor has it that he became more than friends with a few starlets, as well, such as Mary Astor, Marlene Dietrich and Paulette Goddard.  Sadly, mental illness and alcoholism got ahold of Edmunds and in February 1941, while living in a guest house behind the property pictured below, he stuck his head in his gas stove, killing himself.  He was 34.2SBRpRC.jpg

I once read in some book about '30s Hollywood that Edmunds got started selling books out of his car trunk to screenwriters at Hollywood studios, who could not find modern novelists like Faulkner, Joyce, and Kafka at L.A. bookstores. But I have not been able to confirm that online.

Right, Andy (or is that Arnold?)

Actually most of my acquaintances call me "Taxi", but that's another story.

I'm all for book shops. Sadly, they're becoming an endangered species. I agree, most self-promotion threads I regard as spam, but anything that promotes books and book shops is fine with me.

Since I had a shop for 23 years myself, I couldn't agree more, and here's one in Baltimore, of all places, that now deals in movie memorabilia on a scale that's probably second only to Edmunds.  Their emphasis of film material is understated by their home page, but when you browse their online catalogs you'll start to get the picture, and even there it's the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.royalbooks.com/

Hollywood at one time had a number of bookstores and memorabilia stores.

When I arrived in 1977 there was Larry Edmunds, Pickwick Books, Collector's, Samuel French and one or two others.

Today, the last store standing is Edmunds and movie buffs have been very supportive of the bookstore over the years.

Larry Edmunds supports the various film festivals in Hollywood including the TCM Fest and festival goers from around the world who attend usually include a stop at Edmunds on their list of things to do while in town.

Edmunds also supports the American Cinemateque and its home at the Egyptian, the Cinefamily screenings at the former Silent Movie Theater and Hollywood Heritage.

The Boulevard would be a little sadder without Larry Edmunds ( as would film buffs) so supporting Edmunds in return for all they do seems only natural!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings