Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

NipkowDisc

Since Mickey Rooney passed away a few weeks ago, I'd like to see TCM air Stanley Kramer's mammoth comedy again. Two questions: Has TCM ever shown the fully restored print with the long omitted footage, about 22 minutes worth, I believe. Also, could TCM favor us all with a real treat? It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World in smilebox since it's a Cinerama picture?

post-41875-0-30957500-1398381140_thumb.jpg

post-41875-0-30957500-1398381140_thumb.jpg

Actually, most of that footage resurfaced, years ago, on the laserdisc edition.  Criterion has a couple more snippets, and the audio police calls heard during the Intermission.  Overall, the $10.00 Wal-Mart exclusive is the best representation of the film, imo.

What does the omitted footage consist of? Who is in it?

My wife and I watched the version with extra footage from the Criterion release shortly after it came out. There are some scenes that are extended by the extra footage, as well as some scenes that are wholly composed of the extra footage or stills with just the audio portion. I don't recall any of these extras featuring actors who weren't already in the standard scenes. It was usually very easy to identify the extras, as they generally were in rougher condition than the standard footage, which looked beautiful from an exemplary restoration.

I wouldn't say the extras add much to the movie, although they were interesting to see. I'm very glad that we have this beautiful Criterion release, but I'd guess that we'll usually watch the standard version in the future.

My wife and I watched the version with extra footage from the Criterion release shortly after it came out. There are some scenes that are extended by the extra footage, as well as some scenes that are wholly composed of the extra footage or stills with just the audio portion. I don't recall any of these extras featuring actors who weren't already in the standard scenes. It was usually very easy to identify the extras, as they generally were in rougher condition than the standard footage, which looked beautiful from an exemplary restoration.

I wouldn't say the extras add much to the movie, although they were interesting to see. I'm very glad that we have this beautiful Criterion release, but I'd guess that we'll usually watch the standard version in the future.

Well, I for one would like to see the complete film, 22 minutes worth and since TCM has not hesitated to smilebox How The West Was Won. So it should be with It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World also. I mean how much more of a reason does TCM need to give It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World the same deal? The actor's actor, Spencer Tracy is a part of both films, ain't he? He's stars in one and narrates the other.

Well, I for one would like to see the complete film, 22 minutes worth and since TCM has not hesitated to smilebox How The West Was Won. So it should be with It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World also. I mean how much more of a reason does TCM need to give It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World the same deal? The actor's actor, Spencer Tracy is a part of both films, ain't he? He's stars in one and narrates the other.

Who among will say that The Three Stooges don't deserve to be smileboxed for a few seconds? :)

But a question: Since Mad World wasn't "real" three-camera Cinerama, it was one-camera 70mm Ultra Panavision promoted as Cinerama, is there any point to smileboxing? 

No. There was a curve added for theatrical release in Cinerama-equipped theaters.  Back when it came out, we referred to it as "fake Cinerama".  They weren't kidding any of us, who actually experienced real Cinerama.

But a question: Since Mad World wasn't "real" three-camera Cinerama, it was one-camera 70mm Ultra Panavision promoted as Cinerama, is there any point to smileboxing? 

I did not know that. All I know is that IAMMMMW has always been talked about as being shown in Cinerama and I like most have not overly fretted over one-camera vs three-camera...let alone understanding what it means.  :huh:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings