Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The New Board is Great! Thanks TCM!

FredCDobbs

I'm still finding new stuff that this board will do.

It's easy to use and has lots of gadgets and spectial functions.

I love the YouTube embed, the direct link to a photo URL, and the access to photos inside our computer files.

Have you found any new feature that you like?

Fred

i like to park on the "view new content" page to see the most recent post information. it says who posted at what time in what thread.

since ive been watching it the past couple of weeks ive noticed how quiet the boards really are - it can be 20 minutes or more between posts - and how popular the trivia forum is.

I like the new Boards ! :) 

i like to park on the "view new content" page to see the most recent post information. it says who posted at what time in what thread.

since ive been watching it the past couple of weeks ive noticed how quiet the boards really are - it can be 20 minutes or more between posts - and how popular the trivia forum is.

LOL! After a nuclear strike, the Trivia/Games Forum will still be up and running - with all the usual suspects.

But seriously, folks. Many have commented on the low traffic volume. Part is due to the season; it tends to dip low at mid year, * exasperated by upgrade MIA's.

* I would have said exacerbate, but I had a feeling it may have been "pruned"

I like the new Boards ! :) 

But seriously, folks. Many have commented on the low traffic volume. Part is due to the season; it tends to dip low at mid year, exasperated by upgrade MIA's.

I just checked and there are/were 14 active members on line. That's good for a Friday.

I think this new board has all the different forums easy to find and to get to, so I think our members will be spread around a lot.

Go to the top left of this page and click on the first TCM MESSAGE BOARDS, then go there and all the way down to the bottom of the page, and that will tell you everyone who is on the board now.

I think we will gradually gain back many new members and some old ones too.

PS, NOTE: What I did was look this keyword term up on Google: WARNING POINTS and I read about how it is used on other message boards. I don't know how it will be used here or if it will be used.

.. Go to the top left of this page and click on the first TCM MESSAGE BOARDS, then go there and all the way down to the bottom of the page, and that will tell you everyone who is on the board now..

And.. if you go to the top of the TCM MESSAGE BOARDS page (or this Page) and click Members, you will get a list of nearly 2100.. that's right.. 2100 Members going back to The Pleistocene Epoch.

Fred,

Thank you for starting this thread.

With so many negative comments about the new message boards, it's good to let TCM know that many people appreciate the improved boards.

And I do think they are improved.

I especially like some of the features you've mentiioned: the ability to embed videos in posts and to more easily disply photos.

I also find that the quoting function works better on the new boards.

On the old boards I had to create makeshift quotes by pasting and italicizing text from other posts.

I also like the overall look of the new boards.

Holden

• Like 2

Yes indeed, you've started a wonderful thread here, Fred.

But I'd still like to know how you discovered that when someone gets a certain amount of Warning Points, they are disconnected automatically. I've looked everywhere and haven't been able to find anything on the subject at all.

You didn't just make that up, I hope.

Yes indeed, you've started a wonderful thread here, Fred.

But I'd still like to know how you discovered that when someone gets a certain amount of Warning Points, they are disconnected automatically. I've looked everywhere and haven't been able to find anything on the subject at all.

You didn't just make that up, I hope.

i dont know the answer but i would assume if points are being counted there is a limit before you get iced.

or did you think the points went on ad infinitum?

did ya?

did you think the points went on ad infinitum?

did ya?

I have no idea what the points signify. I haven't been able to find any explanation of them, how they're attributed, or any system of automatic disconnection.

But Fred seems to know. All I'm asking is for him to direct me to wherever it is that he found the policies he's posting so I can read them for myself. I wish to be acquainted with whatever system parameters govern my membership status. 

Well, I'll try.

Well then dark, WHATEVER ya do, do NOT try doin' a Johnny Carson/Floyd R. Turbo impression while tryin' NOT to do that!

floyd-r-turbo.jpg

(...'cause THAT'S pretty near impossible, ya know!!!) ;)

LOL

This is world's better than the patched-up mess it'd become in the last few years.

Full suite of posting options, faster screen refreshes, no dropping out if you take longer than two minutes to write a reply -- those are reason enough to put up with minor problems during the shakedown. 

I can't imagine what TCM paid for all this, but it had to be considerable. Had to be a tough decision since this forum doesn't bring them a dime in revenue.

It's great, too, that they're honoring Kyle. The memorial has class, just like him.

darkblue- please re-read Fred's post....

PS, NOTE: What I did was look this keyword term up on Google: WARNING POINTS and I read about how it is used on other message boards. I don't know how it will be used here or if it will be used.

I don't know what the policies are for this board either, but I'm sure they are fair. You probably get "warned" if you are slipping down a slope attacking opinions, being offensive, whatever in a thread.  You're "warned" and then if you don't stop-you'll be booted off.

I suppose this is preferable than just a thread disappearing and no one knows why.

Glad everyone likes the improved board. It just seems more like all the other boards to me, with the avatars/profiles and little pictures for response menus. Windows always seemed juvenile to me with all the bouncing graphics, but I suppose picture links are more efficient than actually knowing html when you consider global use and that not everyone uses the same language. (heck, some here don't use English very well)

PS when I saw the "city scape" topper I thought, "Ugh they improved this board so they could add animated pictures" roll.gif Then I saw the Kyle sign-that took my curmudgeon attitude down a notch.

Where did you read that?

Does it also say what the amount is?

According to the FAQ page this was a posted question there:

Will violators of the Message Boards' Code of Conduct be banned or ejected? What is the process for a member to be banned from the Message Boards?

Yes. The TCM Message Boards employ a warning system that is controlled by our moderators. If a member repeatedly violates the Code of Conduct, they will be given warnings. If violations persist, the user can be banned from the community.

Of course there is no indication of the amount of negative posts one gets to make before receiving warnings and there is no information about what amount of warnings will trigger disbarment from the boards.

Of course there is no indication of the amount of negative posts one gets to make before receiving warnings and there is no information about what amount of warnings will trigger disbarment from the boards.

Wow! "Disbarment"?! Didn't realize I was the only non-lawyer around here!

(...that'll teach me to read the fine print from now on!) ;)

The only things I like about the new board are the font type, size and color choices( though I doubt I'll ever use them), "smileys" I no longer have to type in, the fact that bold and italics now work for me and yeah, you don't get knocked off if you take too long to write a post.

I still can't use the "quote" feature,  and I HATE the "last post first" arrangement that nobody's advice on how to change it seems to work.  But since before I had to circumvent other problems, I'm pretty much used to having to do that, so these "problems" aren't so big that I'll cry forever.

Sepiatone

I still can't use the "quote" feature,  and I HATE the "last post first" arrangement that nobody's advice on how to change it seems to work.  But since before I had to circumvent other problems, I'm pretty much used to having to do that, so these "problems" aren't so big that I'll cry forever.

Sepiatone

Hi,

When I come back to this thread, after not reading it for a while..... up at the top right of this page, just to the left of REPLY TO THIS TOPIC, I see:

Go to first unread post

I click on that and it takes me to the first unread post in this thread. That means the first post I haven't already read.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings