Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Borrowing a concept: Songs you can't stand that everyone else loved

Sepiatone

There are TONS of songs that caught the general public's fancy.  They either became big hits, or had huge followings.  And for most, they are most beloved. 

But, not EVERYONE thinks they're all that great.  After browsing the "covers" thread, there's obviously many here that would agree.

List 'em here.  Brief "whys" are welcome too, but not mandatory.

I'll kick it off with:

STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN  I like Zeppelin, but this one never grabbed me.

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY  Not a "rhapsody" in any true sense, just a mish-mash of unrelated ideas.

HOTEL CALIFORNIA  Meh.

BAND ON THE RUN  Macca and Wings have put out so much better before AND after.

BORN IN THE U.S.A.  See "Band On The Run"  and replace Macca with Bruce

SWEET HOME ALABAMA/FREE BIRD  Skynard went on to prove they could do much better than "Alabama", and "Bird" is hard to hear, especially the "neverending" live version.

LAYLA  Nothing musically or lyrically against this one.  Just didn't appeal to me.

THE WAY WE WERE  About as boring as the MOVIE.

MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS  Mauldar has a good voice, and the music is well executed and skillful.  Just not my cuppa.

HONEY  I prefer my syrup over my pancakes.  NOT over the airwaves.

Maybe more later, maybe not.  We'll see how it goes.

Maybe some of your most hated might be some of my favorites.  That's OK.  Don't worry about that.

I know DARKBLUE won't...

Sepiatone

Top of my list has to be Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA. Give me the National Anthem, Battle Hymn of the Republic, America the Beautiful, or even God Bless America, but Lord have mercy, Greenwood's tune just defines schmaltz for me.

I'm putting in a huge vote for Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again, Naturally".  I could barely listen to it as a kid in the 1970s (on AM radio, yet) and I won't listen to it now if I can help it.  I just looked up the title on Wikkipedia, and it says (I quote), "In Casey Kasem's 'American Top 40 of the 1970s', 'Alone Again' ranked as the fifth most popular song of the decade (Debby Boone's 'You Light Up My Life' was #1)"  :blink:

I agree about "Stairway to Heaven."  I'm not a big Zeppelin fan, however.  It's not really that I dislike them persay; but the radio stations in the Portland area play them way too much.  The only Zeppelin songs that I don't tire of are "Dancing Days" and "Ramble On." 

Our radio stations (3 of which I swear are exactly the same) over play the hair metal bands and Ozzy and AC/DC.  I'm sick of almost all of their music.  AC/DC might just be the most overplayed band ever, and the radio never plays my personal favorite-- "Big Balls." 

I really hate "The Macarena."  Actually, I don't know anyone who likes this song; but it was huge in '95.  I remember in middle school, some genius would play that song every lunch period on the jukebox that was in our cafeteria.  Every. single. day.  It's bad enough that I somehow even learned the dance even though I loathed the song.  I hated it then.  Hate it now. 

I can't stand Adele.  "Someone Like You" might be one of the most annoying songs ever.  She's a good singer; but I really don't like her voice.

I also really can't stand Maroon 5 or any of the bands with a whiny male singer.  Plus, the singer of Maroon 5 acts like he's god's gift to women and I just find him completely unattractive in every way. 

For me, while I enjoy some current music, most of my favorites are grunge, classic rock, oldies and big band.  I feel like I can never go to any of my favorite bands' concerts as the best part of each band is dead.  ::Sigh:: 

Top of my list has to be Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA. Give me the National Anthem, Battle Hymn of the Republic, America the Beautiful, or even God Bless America, but Lord have mercy, Greenwood's tune just defines schmaltz for me.

You took the words right out of my...can we use the word "m-o-u-t-h" around here yet???

Every time I hear that song(the last time being at the local July 4th celebration this past year) I have the uncontrollable reflex to roll my eyes.

Y'all came up with some good ones.  They can go on MY list as well.

Speedracer:  Your middle school cafeteria had a JUKE BOX?  When I was in middle school, we called it "Jr. High", and the only vending machine in it's cafeteria dispensed MILK!  We'd have LOVED a juke box.

Sepiatone

Some good (bad!) ones mentioned.  

Not that everyone loved these, but they seemed to be everywhere:

"We Built This City" by Jefferson Starship, "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies, "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free" by Sting, anything and everything by Katy Perry and Lionel Richie, and "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion.  I would confess to anything if put in a room and forced to listen to these ad nauseam.

Some good (bad!) ones mentioned.  

Not that everyone loved these, but they seemed to be everywhere:

"We Built This City" by Jefferson Starship, "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies, "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free" by Sting, anything and everything by Katy Perry and Lionel Richie, and "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion.  I would confess to anything if put in a room and forced to listen to these ad nauseam.

"We Built This City" might have one of the worst music videos ever.  However, for whatever reason, I think for the cheese factor, it makes a great karaoke song.  I agree with you about Celine Dion.  Katy Perry has some catchy songs that I enjoy like "Last Friday Night" and "Hot N' Cold" but her latest stuff, like the boxing song, are pretty lame.  She needs some new songwriters. 

Lionel Ritchie is pretty corny.  I think "Hello" is pretty bad.  Especially the video.  Having seen the video, it makes the song even worse somehow. 

On Etsy, there was this hilarious Lionel Ritchie tea pot that someone designed.  It was one of those teapots that you stacked on top of a cup.  Then on the teapot, there was a painting of Lionel Ritchie and it said: "Hello, is it tea you're looking for?" Corny, but funny.  I would totally buy that. 

I really cannot stand The Police's "Every Breath You Take."  Why people think this song is romantic and use it as a wedding song, I have no idea.  They have obviously never listened to the lyrics. 

...every breath you take, every move you make, I'll be watching you... creepy!

Actually I'm not a fan of The Police at all, except I do enjoy "Roxanne."

The current song that really irritates me is Robin Thicke's (whom I cannot stand, he is terrible) "Blurred Lines" song.  The song itself is terrible and offensive.  Having seen the video for the song and consequently the infamous performance of it with Miley Cyrus at the MTV VMA's, it makes the song even more terrible and more offensive.  Thicke's voice is awful.  I cannot stand the whiny voice male singers; unless they're singing something cheesy like Leo Sayer's "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing."

Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight."  Except when Mike Tyson sang it on "The Hangover."  That was hilarious. 

Bryan Adams, everything. 

I didn't mind The Police TOO much, Speed ( Andy Summers is STILL a largely underrated guitarist).  A couple of  songs I thought were OK was "Don't Stand So Close To Me" and that "Do Do Do, Da Da Da" song( not sure of the actual title), but my only REAL favorite was "Syncronicity II".  It's "Roxanne" that I REALLY couldn't stand!

100% in agreement on "In The Air Tonight". 

Sepiatone

The current song that really irritates me is Robin Thicke's (whom I cannot stand, he is terrible) "Blurred Lines" song.  The song itself is terrible and offensive.  Having seen the video for the song and consequently the infamous performance of it with Miley Cyrus at the MTV VMA's, it makes the song even more terrible and more offensive.  Thicke's voice is awful.  I cannot stand the whiny voice male singers; unless they're singing something cheesy like Leo Sayer's "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing."

So Speedy, I assume this lack of appreciation for falsetto would extend to Marvin Gaye, and in particular to his recording of "Got To Give It Up"...and which Robin Thicke pretty much ripped off for his recent hit, right?!  ;)

So Speedy, I assume this lack of appreciation for falsetto would extend to Marvin Gaye, and in particular to his recording of "Got To Give It Up"...and which Robin Thicke pretty much ripped off for his recent hit, right?!  ;)

I'm not a big fan of Marvin Gaye, I don't dislike him however.  I just don't seek him out.  He's infinitely more talented than Robin Thicke.  I heard that Robin Thicke ripped off Marvin Gaye's song, I haven't listened to "Got to Give it Up" however to compare the two.  I try to avoid "Blurred Lines" as much as possible. 

I'm also not a fan of the Bee Gees-- except for "Night Fever" and "You Should Be Dancing."

"We Built This City" might have one of the worst music videos ever.  However, for whatever reason, I think for the cheese factor, it makes a great karaoke song.  I agree with you about Celine Dion.  Katy Perry has some catchy songs that I enjoy like "Last Friday Night" and "Hot N' Cold" but her latest stuff, like the boxing song, are pretty lame.  She needs some new songwriters. 

Lionel Ritchie is pretty corny.  I think "Hello" is pretty bad.  Especially the video.  Having seen the video, it makes the song even worse somehow. 

On Etsy, there was this hilarious Lionel Ritchie tea pot that someone designed.  It was one of those teapots that you stacked on top of a cup.  Then on the teapot, there was a painting of Lionel Ritchie and it said: "Hello, is it tea you're looking for?" Corny, but funny.  I would totally buy that. 

I can't remember when Lionel Ritchie was at the height of his fame (late 80s?), but his music was inescapable, and yet I didn't know a soul who liked it.  There were some pretty cheesy videos then, and mercifully I've blocked his out.  I think I'd prefer that teapot!

Heh, I had a friend that played with the Eagles. That is super "big time" to me, and I always got tickets when they came to my town. I never had the heart to tell him how much I hated their music. I LOVED that the Big Lebowski hated the Eagles-that always makes me gaffaw!

I had just heard this "You Light Up My Life" story on NPR. I can't get this story out of my head-it cracked me up!

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/25/306869582/you-light-up-my-life

Heh, I had a friend that played with the Eagles. That is super "big time" to me, and I always got tickets when they came to my town. I never had the heart to tell him how much I hated their music. I LOVED that the Big Lebowski hated the Eagles-that always makes me gaffaw!

I had just heard this "You Light Up My Life" story on NPR. I can't get this story out of my head-it cracked me up!

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/25/306869582/you-light-up-my-life

The most grating song I've ever heard is "Do-Wah-Diddy-Diddy" by Manfred Mann. Just awful.

• 2 weeks later...

@Gay Divorcee:

My wife was a big Ritchie fan.  Got her tickets to see him in '86, I think it was.  I was never a fan, but he DID put on a good show.

But even so, taking her to see him DID pay a great dividend!  ;)

Sepiatone

@Gay Divorcee:

My wife was a big Ritchie fan.  Got her tickets to see him in '86, I think it was.  I was never a fan, but he DID put on a good show.

But even so, taking her to see him DID pay a great dividend!  ;)

Sepiatone

If "Ritchie" is Lionel Ritchie, the one great song with him as singer was "Zoom", by the Commodores.

I agree with you about "Happy" it's overplayed.  Although, it's not from "Frozen" it's from a different animated movie.  I don't remember which one.  The "Frozen" song, "Let it Go" is overplayed as well. 

Other songs I dislike:

Guns N' Roses' version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door," actually I'm pretty sick of Guns N' Roses as a whole, they're overplayed on the radio.  Except for "Mr. Brownstone," that song never gets old.

BTO "You A'int Seen Nothing Yet"

ELO all of it

Supertramp "The Logical Song"

There are more.  The Portland-area radio stations only play the same type of music; so a lot of my songs that I can't stand are more due to being overplayed as opposed to my not liking the song.  Except for the ones I listed above.

"Happy" is from DESPICABLE ME 2.  And yes, it's the 2014 version of "Mrs, Robinson".  For those of you too young to remember, that very good song by SIMON AND GARFUNKLE was a huge hit in '68, and radio stations took it upon themselves to play the damned thing what seemed like every half hour.

Sepiatone

I agree with you about "Happy" it's overplayed.  Although, it's not from "Frozen" it's from a different animated movie.  I don't remember which one.  The "Frozen" song, "Let it Go" is overplayed as well. 

Other songs I dislike:

Guns N' Roses' version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door," actually I'm pretty sick of Guns N' Roses as a whole, they're overplayed on the radio.  Except for "Mr. Brownstone," that song never gets old.

BTO "You A'int Seen Nothing Yet"

ELO all of it

Supertramp "The Logical Song"

There are more.  The Portland-area radio stations only play the same type of music; so a lot of my songs that I can't stand are more due to being overplayed as opposed to my not liking the song.  Except for the ones I listed above.

Everything by ELO? I like them.