Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Borrowing a concept: Songs you can't stand that everyone else loved

Sepiatone

I reckon a lot of folks have dug that MANFRED MANN song I've grown to despise:  "Blinded By The Light".  I think Bruce Springsteen wrote it/performed it first (and I'd have to think he enunciated the word 'deuce' on his version).  If I never heard this song again as long as I live I'd not complain. 

I don't like 'Brick House' anymore.  Heard it enough times.  I don't hate it . . . yet. 

A piece of modern garbage music:  Some song I believe to be titled "Be Ok".  Ugh!  I heard it on a Hallmark commercial and even on the Muzak in my local grocery store.   Hated this junk the first time I heard it on the commercial.  Tuneless and brainless with lyrics a 2nd grader could have written,

Another pile of modern slop I had the misforture to hear repeatedly on a credit card commercial (think it was VISA?) before I started 'muting' the volume when it came on.  The one from a couple years ago with the young woman climbing on to a mountaintop while the camera pans around her to show the expansive desert vista.  Nice scenery!  And then that putrid song starts getting loud.  "Somebody left the gate open . . . " is all I can remember cos I've blocked the rest of the song out.  I don't know who sings it, but I never want to hear it again. 

And Whitney Houston's oversung version of 'I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU'.  Gives me a headache.  I do like some of her other songs and I wish she had toned down her version of 'Always Love You' a notch or two.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I don't want to finish this post on a -negative- note I'll mention a few songs I do like a lot that were popular (or at least reasonably popular) when they came out:

CLIMAX BLUES BAND - "Couldn't Get It Right"

STARBUCK - "Moonlight Feels Right"

SILVER - "Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang"  (Admittedly this is a cheesy song, but it's got a good tune and the words fit in well with it.  Compare it with "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" (ENGLAND DAN & JOHN FORD COLEY). 

PAUL DAVIS - "Cool Night"

QUARTERFLASH - "Harden My Heart" 

I reckon a lot of folks have dug that MANFRED MANN song I've grown to despise:  "Blinded By The Light".  I think Bruce Springsteen wrote it/performed it first (and I'd have to think he enunciated the word 'deuce' on his version).  If I never heard this song again as long as I live I'd not complain. 

I don't like 'Brick House' anymore.  Heard it enough times.  I don't hate it . . . yet. 

A piece of modern garbage music:  Some song I believe to be titled "Be Ok".  Ugh!  I heard it on a Hallmark commercial and even on the Muzak in my local grocery store.   Hated this junk the first time I heard it on the commercial.  Tuneless and brainless with lyrics a 2nd grader could have written,

Another pile of modern slop I had the misforture to hear repeatedly on a credit card commercial (think it was VISA?) before I started 'muting' the volume when it came on.  The one from a couple years ago with the young woman climbing on to a mountaintop while the camera pans around her to show the expansive desert vista.  Nice scenery!  And then that putrid song starts getting loud.  "Somebody left the gate open . . . " is all I can remember cos I've blocked the rest of the song out.  I don't know who sings it, but I never want to hear it again. 

And Whitney Houston's oversung version of 'I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU'.  Gives me a headache.  I do like some of her other songs and I wish she had toned down her version of 'Always Love You' a notch or two.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I don't want to finish this post on a -negative- note I'll mention a few songs I do like a lot that were popular (or at least reasonably popular) when they came out:

CLIMAX BLUES BAND - "Couldn't Get It Right"

STARBUCK - "Moonlight Feels Right"

SILVER - "Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang"  (Admittedly this is a cheesy song, but it's got a good tune and the words fit in well with it.  Compare it with "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" (ENGLAND DAN & JOHN FORD COLEY). 

PAUL DAVIS - "Cool Night"

QUARTERFLASH - "Harden My Heart" 

I like Springstten's version of "Blinded", just like I like virtually all early Springsteen. I like Springsteen's later stuff much less.