Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE WAY WE WERE in wrong aspect ratio

Cinemascoped

TCM is currently showing THE WAY WE WERE in 1.75 aspect ratio.  This is incorrect as the film was made in 2.35.  I know you guys are usually very careful about these things and are sometimes at the mercy of the distributor in terms of how things are presented.  But I wanted you to know there are plenty of people in your audience who know the difference and care about this being right.  That said this appears to be in HD and looks better in terms of picture quality.  Try to see it you can get it in the same picture quality AND the correct aspect ratio.

That's strange. The DVD is definitely a 2.35:1 size.

Well, no. A DVD stores a 4x3 frame, which is stretched to a 16x9 frame. if it is anamorphic, and you have a WS TV. When stretched to 16x9, the HDTV ratio, (also known as 1.78:1,) if the image is 2.35:1, there will be sizable black bars. top and bottom. If the image is a true 1.85:1, and the overscan on your TV isn't too bad, there will be thin black bars top and bottom. 

I've got a weird thing going on now on my TCM SD channel. IT STARTED WITH A KISS is playing and it's in 16:9 format just as it is on the HD channel.

There are bars top and bottom because the film itself is 2.35:1.

It turns out that TimeWarner Cable in NYC is no longer offering a TCM channel in SD. Granted, it doesn't affect the way it looks when one watches the channel,  but if you record an Academy ratio film on a DVD recorder, you will get a windowboxed copy - bars all around.

There are currently four different channel assignments (82, 261, 285 and 782) for TCM on the system, all in HD (actually upscaled SD, but that's another story).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings