Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

This probably isn't it, but I'll take a chance. Was the 60's movie I'd Rather Be Rich (Robert Goulet, Andy Williams, Maurice Chevalier), and was the 40's movie It Started with Eve (Deanna Durbin)?

Star-- I've gotta love this movie. Because it stars my favorite male singer, Andy Williams, my favorite French singer Maurice Chevalier and my favorite French Canadian singer, Robert Goulet--Plus everybody's favorite Sandra Dee.

Star-- you're really quite good! You earned your turn--

Thanks, Princess!  I haven't seen that movie since it first played.  It seems to be one of those movies that's never on television and it would be nice to see it again after all these years.  Also I'd like to see how it compares to It Started with Eve.

Moving on -

Two famous movies made in consecutive years boasted an all-star cast.  Each film had 2 major female stars, but the 3 male stars, as well as one of the supporting actors, were the same.

Name the 2 movies, the 4 male actors who were in both of them, as well as the female stars in each picture.

Forgive the interruption but I thought this the easy thread, four of this, three of this, how many of this, all in the same question.

:(

a note from the whiner supreme as well as the resident dummy (me)

:blink:

===

• Like 1

Forgive the interruption but I thought this the easy thread, four of this, three of this, how many of this, all in the same question.

:(

a note from the whiner supreme as well as the resident dummy (me)

:blink:

===

I totally agree with you, laffite.  Forgive me for getting caught up in the trend that seems to be happening in a number of threads lately.  If I get the opportunity to post another question in this thread, I'll do my best to keep it simpler the next time.

• Like 2

I believe the two movies are Grand Hotel and Dinner At Eight (1932 & 1933 consecutively).  The four male actors are John Barrymore, Lionel Barrymore, Wallace Beery and Jean Hersholt who all appeared in both films.  The two female stars from Grand Hotel are Greta Garbo and Joan Crawford and the two female stars from Dinner At Eight are Marie Dressler and Jean Harlow.

Jean Arthur turned down the female lead in It's a Wonderful Life.  Would that be it?

Star. I didn't know that Jean Arthur turned down the female lead in "It's A Wonderful Life". I was thinking of Ginger Rogers who turned down the same role, which went to Donna Reed. So, I've just learned something new. Thanks very much. And the thread is yours!

Jean Arthur was Frank Capra's first choice for the female lead in It's a Wonderful Life, but she turned it down because of a prior stage commitment.  I personally wouldn't be surprised if she also turned it down because she wasn't all that crazy about James Stewart, despite their very successful teaming in two other Frank Capra movies and the fact that James Stewart is supposed to have said that he considered her the best actress he had ever worked with.

And now on to the next bit of trivia:

While on a war bond train, 3 actresses concocted a song in which they moaned about their frequent co-stars.  The song, which was considered for inclusion in Ziegfeld Follies, was called “I’ve Got Those Rooney/Pidgeon/Skelton Blues.”  Who were the 3 actresses?

Jean Arthur was Frank Capra's first choice for the female lead in It's a Wonderful Life, but she turned it down because of a prior stage commitment. I personally wouldn't be surprised if she also turned it down because she wasn't all that crazy about James Stewart, despite their very successful teaming in two other Frank Capra movies and the fact that James Stewart is supposed to have said that he considered her the best actress he had ever worked with.

And now on to the next bit of trivia:

While on a war bond train, 3 actresses concocted a song in which they moaned about their frequent co-stars. The song, which was considered for inclusion in Ziegfeld Follies, was called “I’ve Got Those Rooney/Pidgeon/Skelton Blues.” Who were the 3 actresses?

This is strictly a MGM guess--

Judy Garland, Greer Garson and Lucille Ball

Thanx loads, Star.

Next--

This comedic actor started in Vaudeville and went on to Broadway before reaching Hollywood.

He made quite a name for himself and a good living in several "B" movie film series in the 1940s-- 1 at RKO and the other one at Monogram.

Can you name this actor along with his two film series?

Is it The Streets of Laredo?

I'll give it to you, as that was the original title when it was a screenplay. Author Larry McMurty reworked the screenplay into the novel Lonesome Dove, which won the Pulitzer Prize. He used the Streets of Laredo title for the sequel.

Your thread! :)

Oh, sorry about that!  Thanks for letting me have the thread anyway, Lawrence.

Next:  Who was the first actor to win a Best Actor Oscar for a role in a musical film?  (Please name the film as well.)