Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

OK--The first of the other two films is "Nightwing" (1979).  Film was a financial and critical failure, and starred Kathryn Harrold and David Warner.  It drew on Pueblo Indian mythology, as well as Stoker's "Dracula", and stopping evil land developers/destroyers is an important plot point.  "Nightwing" wasn't as bad as the critics thought.

The other film is "Wolfen" (1981); it was a critical and box-office success, and starred Albert Finney and Diane Venora.  Critics disagreed if the monsters were werewolves or Souleaters--the critics apparently missed two characters in the film using the term "Shapeshifter".  I thought someone might pick up the phrase "Fort Apache" and connect it with another 1981 release, the Paul Newman film "Fort Apache...The Bronx--which is one of the films' locations.  Wolfen has Excellent cinematography, to differentiate the human and wolves Point Of View--Wiki calls it "an early version of thermography" and "an in-camera special effect".

DJBeacon, you got one third of the correct answer--Your Thread.

• 2 weeks later...

This costume designer was arguably the most influential one of the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Despite that, this artist never won an Academy Award and was never even nominated for one.

When you name this costume designer, can you also name at least 3 female movie stars who made these designs world-famous, as well as the designer's movie star spouse?

Adrian was never nominated for an Oscar and was married to Janet Gaynor. One actress that definitely made his designs famous was Joan Crawford, for whom he designed the shoulder pad look. I'm guessing that the other two actresses were Greta Garbo and Norma Shearer.

Star-- your answer is not only correct but very complete.

Ironically, for me, I think the most beautiful job Adrian ever did was not at MGM - - but freelance work for his most famous client/movie star Joan Crawford in Humoresque. I think Adrian was one of the most important artistic collaborators in that movie, in what has to be one of the most beautiful, tragic ending in classic movies.

On a personal note-- in a museum I actually saw some of the custom fashion designs that he made for society matrons after he left MGM. It may sound silly, but you could actually almost see Joan Crawford in one of those dresses.

Star, you're up--

The director of this film wanted Ginger Rogers and Rita Hayworth for the female leads, but because two of the studio’s highest paid male stars were already set to star in the picture, studio executives vetoed that idea.  Two much less well known actresses were used instead.

Name the movie, the male stars and their leading ladies.

You got it, Azure!  Can you imagine what it would have been like with Ginger Rogers and Rita Hayworth? Ginger no doubt would have been paired with Fred, but her part would have to have been built up.  As for Rita Hayworth, I have trouble seeing her ending up with Bing Crosby at the fadeout. Just seems like an unlikely pair.

Anyway, the thread is all yours.

Thanks, Star.  It would have been interesting to see how the movie would have been if Rogers and Hayworth had been in it.  I agree that Crosby would have been an odd match for Hayworth, though.

Next:  This 1950s film starred one of the most popular young actresses of the decade.  Unfortunately, the film didn't do very well during its initial run.  However, a song that the actress sang during the film started to become more and more popular.  The decision was made to pull the film from theaters and re-release it later.  After the song became a full-fledged hit, the film was re-released.  This time around, the film was much more successful......so successful that it sparked 3 sequels. 

Please name the film, the actress and the song that became a hit. 

De

Thanks, Star.  It would have been interesting to see how the movie would have been if Rogers and Hayworth had been in it.  I agree that Crosby would have been an odd match for Hayworth, though.

Next:  This 1950s film starred one of the most popular young actresses of the decade.  Unfortunately, the film didn't do very well during its initial run.  However, a song that the actress sang during the film started to become more and more popular.  The decision was made to pull the film from theaters and re-release it later.  After the song became a full-fledged hit, the film was re-released.  This time around, the film was much more successful......so successful that it sparked 3 sequels. 

Please name the film, the actress and the song that became a hit. 

Debbie Reynolds? TAMMY? the song was the title song.