Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Ok, the Gable-a-thon continues:  

Name the actress who had a secret child with Clark Gable after co-starring in a 1935 movie based on a Jack London novel.   The unmarried actress flew to Europe to have the baby and fabricated an adoption to avoid scandal.    Raised by the actress as her adopted daughter, the girl met her famous birth father only once and finally learned the truth as a young adult.  The daughter later wrote an 1994 memoir, Uncommon Knowledge,  revealing the truth.   

Judy Lewis (I think she looks very much like both of her parents.)

Judy Lewis Dies, Psychotherapist And Child Of Loretta Young And Clark Gable  : The Two-Way : NPR

3 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Many people don't realize that this actor was part of the original ensemble cast.  He later joined another ensemble and lasted there many more years.

Chaya, is this question a little vague? If not, I'm not getting it. Thanks.

Thank you laffitte.  Many people don't realize that this actor was part of this ensemble TV series.  He lasted only a year but the series replaced him and ran many more years.  Years later, though he wasn't in the pilot, he joined another ensemble cast and was on the show for many years.  If that doesn't help.  I'll provide a couple of more clues.

• Like 1

Not Charlie Sheen.  Both shows had memorable theme song (but no words).  When another, Oscar-winning actor left the show (won the Oscar after he left though he was in movies before then), he was replaced by a similar looking/build actor doing the same part.  This new actor also came from a ensemble (which was off the air by then).

Actor Steven Hill played Dan Briggs,  the original head of the Impossible Missions Force on "Mission Impossible".  He was only on for one season and was replaced by Peter Graves as Jim Phelps.  Years later, Hill joined the cast of "Law And Order" as D.A. Adam Schiff, who was Sam Waterston's boss.   Martin Landau left "Mission Impossible" to make movies.  He was replaced by Leonard Nimoy, who had been a regular on "Star Trek".  Landau later won an Oscar for the movie "Ed Wood".

Chaya, if you think this question is for 98% of those folks on this board, I think you are extremely optimistic.    It may have been more suitable for the Retro Trivia forum, where you still owe a new question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess, since I'm such a big fan of Steven Hill, I didn't think it was that difficult (compared to some of the other trivia - like describe the scene).  Steven Hill left MI because of a religious conflict; he was an observant Jew.  Sam Waterson came after Michael Moriarty's Ben Stone.  Moriarty - talented but had his problems - left after some sort of public spat with Janet Reno.  Richard Brooks and Dan Florek (sp?) were ousted in order to bring in a woman attorney and a black or African American police lt.  No tears for them, because Robinette showed up as a guest star (now a defense attorney), Florek went to SVU, and S. Epatha M. (who was on a very early L&O episode as a woman whose baby is shot and killed because the young shooter messed up the address).

While Adam Schiff is gone from L&O, some namesake of his has featured prominently in two investigations in this country.

Your turn Miles (love the reference).

I'm going to throw out a softball to jump start this thread:

Name the actor who was cast as the Tin Man before having to quit because of an allergic reaction to the aluminum dust in the make-up. He was replaced by Jack Haley.

2 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

I think the man is Buddy Ebsen.  (And thanks to you, Peebs, for getting us back on track.  For a while this was getting to be not much fun.)

That's it, Terrence!  You're up. 

Although she never won an Oscar despite being nominated 5 times, this Golden Age actress was known as the First Lady of Hollywood.  She knew when to quit and in her later years devoted herself to civic causes, which included being appointed as a special U.S. delegate to the United Nations in 1957 and as an alternate delegate in 1959.

Who is she?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to try another pretty easy one to get this going again:

Name the two actresses who tied and won Best Actress in 1969 (for movies made in 1968).  Both are big names but one was a 61 year old veteran actress and the other was only 26 winning for her first movie, a musical comedy.    The veteran actress would go on to win four acting Oscars by the end of her career.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, laffite said:

Starliteyes has affirmed your correct answer.

I hope you don't mind if I alert you in this fashion;

Your thread.

:)

Sorry, I think that was my first look into this thread ever, and I should have checked back after my response. The thread is not on my regular travel route. So Peebs' question is the current clue.

• Thanks 1