Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

Sorry, neither Cushing nor West. The gentleman in question is from an earlier generation and played character roles (and I do mean character!). His final film performance was in 1961.  

Ernest Thesiger--" The Bride of Frankenstein"--

He was Dr. Pretorius.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Ernest Thesiger--" The Bride of Frankenstein"--

He was Dr. Pretorius.

Right you are, Princess. He was in three films directed by his friend James Whale. His grandfather was the first Lord Chelmsford. His cousin was the great explorer/author Wilfred Thesiger, born in Ethiopia to a British Consul father, later invited to the coronation of Emperor Haile Selassie. He is one of my heroes, a representative of a bygone era. 

pretorius7.jpg

Your turn Princess.

• Like 1

I think we'll stick with English actors of a certain generation in horror movies.

This actor was a star of stage, including Broadway, before he ever came to Hollywood. I believe he was considered to be a matinee Idol.

When he came to Hollywood he immediately became Typecast as a villain, usually in horror movies.

But my favorite role for him was as the Nemesis of one of the world's greatest detectives.

Unfortunately his career was rather upended by a sex scandal.

There is a parody of him from a classic horror movie in the 1930s, which most of us have seen in a well-known modern movie.

He died in the 1940s.