Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

6 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

If Eleanor Powell is correct, the studio would be MGM.  If this is so, let's give Laffite the credit for answering  it right.

Thanks, but no. I didn't answer the question. I had a thought while posting the wrongness of the response. I'll avoid such in the future.

No, it's not Eleanor Powell. 

At the time she dated the studio boss, she was starring in B pictures at Columbia.  Later on when she was under contract to the more prestigious studio, she would play supporting roles in A  pictures.

11 hours ago, starliteyes said:

At the time she dated the studio boss, she was starring in B pictures at Columbia.  Later on when she was under contract to the more prestigious studio, she would play supporting roles in A  pictures.

Well here is a guess that is probably wrong: Harry Cohn and Rita Hayworth? (One assumes that the "Tiffany" of studios was MGM, and Hayworth had no career at MGM, nor was she supporting at the height of her career.)  But the Columbia hint probably refers to Harry Cohn, who was "involved" with numerous actresses.

12 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Both Eleanor Powell and Ann Miller were tap dancers at MGM--

But oh so different personalities--

My guess here would be Ann Miller was the tap dancer in question.

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I don't think Starlight's clue specified "tap dancer," but maybe she is one.  Is the answer to the second part of the question -- the studio boss --  Harry Cohn?

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I just read the question on the other page again.

I left out Louis B Mayer.

36 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I don't think Starlight's clue specified "tap dancer," but maybe she is one.  Is the answer to the second part of the question -- the studio boss --  Harry Cohn?

I'm just making a comment about the differences in these two  tap dancers since somebody had already mentioned Eleanor Powell.

You got it right, Princess.  The dancer in question is Ann Miller.  She was under contract to Harry Cohn at Columbia at the time that she was dating Lousi B. Mayer.  She was much younger than him and I believe her mother came along on many of these dates.  According to her, Mr. Mayer loved to go out dancing and that's what they usually did.  He wanted to marry her and was heartbroken when she married another.  By the time she came to work at MGM, their relationship was completely over.

And now it's your turn, Princess!

• Thanks 1

Let's stick with MGM and Louis B Mayer.

Mayer discovered a brilliant foreign actress and signed her to a contract. But before coming to the United States, He advised her to lose weight.

She lost the weight and subsequently had a very successful career at Metro.

Please identify the actress in question and the country she came from.

merci chere princess  ... c'est un miracle j'y ai reussit, hein? 

In a late 40s noir we get a glimpse (the wink of an eye) of an un-credited actor who later became a big star. He was dancing in a night club and had a partner. He was in no way a dancer when his career developed. The person he was dancing with was the female lead. . Name the un-credited actor, the dance partner, and name of the movie.

Thanks, Laffite.  Sticking with Tony Curtis.  Another of his very early appearances was in another Universal movie.  He had maybe one line of dialogue with the female star.  Why was he in that scene?

41 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

Thanks, Laffite.  Sticking with Tony Curtis.  Another of his very early appearances was in another Universal movie.  He had maybe one line of dialogue with the female star.  Why was he in that scene?

He played a bellboy in one scene in The Lady Gambles, with Stanwyck.

Let's stick with Fred Astaire.

In one of Fred Astaire's worst musicals, his partner is a beautiful actress who was the real life partner of one of the on-screen founding pioneers of the American motion picture industry.

Hint: the beautiful actress was, indeed, not a trained dancer. And later in life, she married one of the supporting actors in this musical.

Please identify the actress and the musical.

Plus bonus Mouseketeer ears if you can name her two male Partners mentioned in the question.

20 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Let's stick with Fred Astaire.

In one of Fred Astaire's worst musicals, his partner is a beautiful actress who was the real life partner of one of the on-screen founding pioneers of the American motion picture industry.

Hint: the beautiful actress was, indeed, not a trained dancer. And later in life, she married one of the supporting actors in this musical.

Please identify the actress and the musical.

Plus bonus Mouseketeer ears if you can name her two male Partners mentioned in the question.

Is it Joan Crawford in Dancing Lady?  Also starring Franchot Tone?

6 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Is it Joan Crawford in Dancing Lady?  Also starring Franchot Tone?

No, this actress' partner was one of the founding, legendary artists

(In front of and behind the camera)

in American Cinema starting in the silent era and going on eventually to make Talkies.

• Thanks 1